Forum Member

Default SAFER - employer incentives?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a SAFER grant to offer some kind of incentive to employers to let their employees respond to calls from work. The number of personnel we have for daytime response can get extremely low at times. Getting local employers to let their workers off to respond may help. I'm not sure what form the incentive would take. A "thank you" billboard on the highway (free advertising for them)? Reimbursment for lost productivity? I'm really just trying to brainstorm ways that a SAFER grant could be used to increase the number of daytime responders. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Forum Member

Well I guess not

Switching gears, then, does anyone have tips on non-grant related ways to get employers to let their workers respond to calls? Emphasize the free EMT training, etc? Probably the wrong forum for that question, but I'll give it a shot.

Andy

Forum Member

Not really the exact info you are looking for, but kinda ties into it.

You do know about the Firefighter Job Protection Act in Illinois correct?

Forum Member

Right, but that only applies to calls that you respond to before your shift starts. Once you've punched in, that law doesn't allow you to respond, unless I'm missing something.

Andy

Forum Member

Nope you're right on. What we did though was to take a copy to local business and explain to them about it and make sure they understood the steps we had to take, etc. And then we really explained to them why this came about and the lack of volunteerism, etc and some (definitely not all) began to listen and ask what they could do to help and very few of them talked about letting their people leave to go on calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631
    Well I guess not

Switching gears, then, does anyone have tips on non-grant related ways to get employers to let their workers respond to calls? Emphasize the free EMT training, etc? Probably the wrong forum for that question, but I'll give it a shot.

Andy
    Our county Haz-Mat team gives each of our employers a framed certificate every few years to thank them for their support. We also needed a statement from our employer that we could respond when possible if called. I work in sales, so i had him present my certificate went to my secretary--she's the one who covers for me, and she was quite honored when i gave it to her. Simple, but it says a lot.
    I've heard of some vollie fire dept's doing an "Employers' Night" where they serve some sweets and do a tour. When folks come out and get a taste of what it takes and see the commitment, it makes it a little easier to have them buy into the program. Just a few thoughts.
    earl

Forum Member

After a call, if the owner/occupant is singing your praises(good save, quick response ect.) and wants to repay us or say thanks we explain that it would not be possible if employers of volunteers didn't allow them to leave and then ask them to write the local newspaper editor and mention the names of employers(provided by fd) in their letter. This newspaper is covers all of our county and also the surrounding counties. Everyone wins with this: FD gets good PR, Employers get Good PR and FREE advertising. Of course monetary donations and a letter are really good.............

Thread Information