Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Has the ice asked whether you get a paycheck or not?

No....but if I did play with the pros....I would surley be crushed.....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

.... keep stirrring and stirrring .......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    .... keep stirrring and stirrring .......

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Daffy_Duck/ltdd_004.wav
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I have to agree with CaptainGonzo about convincing volunteers that career firefighters are not evil. I've been a volly for 18 years, and could never understand the point of discrediting a professional firefighter for his or her choice of a career. ONE of the reasons that I volunteer for fire and EMS is the change of pace it gives me from my regular job. It's for this very reason that I applaud the career guys that are also volly's; I highly doubt that I (or most people) would volunteer to do the same job that I get paid to do. Just my thoughts.

Forum Member

Smile

I wasn't trying to slam any pros in my post. It just seemed like there were a few postings from pro's in here that sounded a little derogatory towards vollies, and their lack of training, exp., etc...
    It is a two street with every public servant. NYPD and "Hooterville Police" are the same but very different in many ways...same as AMR Ambulance and "Hooterville Rescue"...

Forum Member

The "not a real firefighter" thing used to bother me when I was a volunteer, however I found it came almost exclusively from rather poorly informed members of the general public. There is little you can do to change peoples preconceived notions.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Angry

RANT ON

culkinvfd,

You joined the forums on 2-25-06 so I'm going to chalk this thread up to a lack of experience on this forum. The topic you posted has been discussed numerous times before and each time it rears it's ugly head. We do this better than you....Oh no you don't we do this better....blah blah blah.

Next time you encounter this situation, stand up to the guy. If you can't get training through your department, do whatever you can to get it elsewhere or quit that department. Actions speak louder than words and you shouldn't need some guy in a neighboring department to give you an "atta boy." Pride comes from within.

If you choose to ignore this advice that's fine.

RANT OFF

GOOD LUCK

eng71ine I owe YOU an apology....I posted your name to this instead of who actually started the thread.....SORRY

Edited so as not to appear as a personal attack
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 04-06-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Hey...On occations.....I dress up like a pirate, talk like a pirate, and act like a pirate....does that mean I am a pirate?
    Vinnie, you have some serious issues. May I recommend a stint at the CSU??
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Or Vinnie can come down here and dress as the mascot for my school-Peedee the Pirate.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

As it's been said...we are all doing the same duties and tasks. The paid guys are needed at their station 24/7because they run so many calls, where as vollies are needed at their station when there is a call but, are on duty 24/7.

You have to remember that some Vol. Companies DO get paid by the call!

Forum Member

Default Place your bets....

I got 100 posts before this thread dies. Any takers?????

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Default Webteam...Webteam....Bueller.. ..Anyone???

WEBTEAM can you please kill this thing?

Otherwise........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default A poll

Which thread is more stupid? This one? Or the EMS one?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    Vinnie, you have some serious issues. May I recommend a stint at the CSU??

The real funny part is that I worked for the CSU for 16 months before I got on the Job.

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Daffy_Duck/ltdd_001.wav
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone get the feeling this might be old grimreaper up to his old tricks with a new account or was it just me?

Forum Member

Many who are vollies simply could not take the paycut. We have guys on our dept who are physicians and business executives.

And I like being part of what makes firefighting great - volunteers. Anyone can pick up a check.

Forum Member

And I like being part of what makes firefighting great - volunteers. Anyone can pick up a check.
    When you commit your life to a profession, regardless of the pay, then you can come and talk about commitment and what's "great." Until then, you're just playing a game for thrills that you can walk away from at any point. Firefighting is a professional's life...to you, it's just a hobby.
    Many who are vollies simply could not take the paycut. We have guys on our dept who are physicians and business executives.
    Nothing like a bunch of doctors and CEO's taking jobs from blue-collar guys, huh?
    Don't you have some more lights to install in your Camaro, or something?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    When you commit your life to a profession, regardless of the pay, then you can come and talk about commitment and what's "great." Until then, you're just playing a game for thrills that you can walk away from at any point. Firefighting is a professional's life...to you, it's just a hobby.

Nothing like a bunch of doctors and CEO's taking jobs from blue-collar guys, huh?
    Don't you have some more lights to install in your Camaro, or something?
    Most of us don't volunteer for the "thrills", we do it because there is a need in the comunity and we step in and fill that need. Some doctors and lawers do work "pro bono". They don't do this to take the job from someone else, they do it so that less fortunate people can have that service.

So what you are saying is that when the doctors and CEO's started being volunteer firefighters, the paid guys had to quit and go work someplace else?
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Most of us don't volunteer for the "thrills", we do it because there is a need in the comunity and we step in and fill that need.
    Sure, sure. The community needs sewer and sanitation workers, too...but I don't see the doctors and CEO's out doing THAT at 0530 in the morning.
    So what you are saying is that when the doctors and CEO's started being volunteer firefighters, the paid guys had to quit and go work someplace else?
    Sure. Why give someone a paycheck when you got a bunch of people who will do it for thrills? Don't knock a paid guy or gal who commit their entire career to the fire service by accusing them of merely "picking up a paycheck."

Forum Member

Noz, just curious, how many career guys stop doing their career after 20 or 25 years? How many vols are still volunteering after 20 or 25 years?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

This hurts my brain. How many times are we going to have this discussion? That's all i'm adding to this one.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Noz, just curious, how many career guys stop doing their career after 20 or 25 years? How many vols are still volunteering after 20 or 25 years?
    Not a real good comparison. Most departments "force" the guys to retire after 25 or so years. Otherwise their retirement and pensions aren't worth a crap.

Forum Member

Even as a volunteer, I still think the paid guys are "better" than me. They damn well better be. I mean, let's face, before they ever fight a "real" fire they've seen more than I have in 5 or 10 years of service. In Ohio, a paid FF receives 240 hours of training before going on the job. A volunteer gets 36 hours. A paid FF sees many more runs than I. Why wouldn't they be better?

This has nothing to do with being a "real" firefighter. It is about looking at reality and not pretending to be something I am not. Sure, I know I am a real firefighter, but I also know I am not nearly as well trained or experienced as most paid guys.

Of course there are always exception.

Also, I would find it hard to argue with your paid friend when your state doesn't even require to go to some sort of fire training. How can you argue that you are on the same level as him based on that? Just curious.

Forum Member

Well, here in CT many cities and towns require the same training for a paid guy or a volunteer- and some do not. But MANY guys have their Haz mat tech, fire instructor, etc - and have gotten them on their own time.

Paid guys are the minority - although they would have you believe otherwise.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by th nozzleman
    Sure, sure. The community needs sewer and sanitation workers, too...but I don't see the doctors and CEO's out doing THAT at 0530 in the morning.
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDueCTVol
    Well, here in CT many cities and towns require the same training for a paid guy or a volunteer- and some do not. But MANY guys have their Haz mat tech, fire instructor, etc - and have gotten them on their own time.
    Career , paid call and volunteer firefighters take training and certification on their own time... so this statement is a moot point at best.

Paid guys are the minority - although they would have you believe otherwise.
    God, I love it when I see someone spout this statement. While there are more volunteers than career firefighters, the career jakes protect most of the population... and that's the fact!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information