Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Forum Member

Your year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Fransisco treat will be in the mail shortly. Enjoy, and remember, Eat Responsibly.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Do I get a prize for #100?
    YOU'RE a prize alright

hehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

ChicagoFF

Really? A 16 - 24 week academy to volunteer?
    In Wisconsin a FF1 is a FF1 whether he is career or volly, same with all the cert classes.

In house training needs are determined by each FD.

I became a career FF in 1991 and that department depended on my previous certs for hiring. My "academy" was 3 eight hour days and then I was in the job. Of course there was OJT but I was a line firefighter working and responding to calls with 24 hours of "academy."

My current career FD also counted on me having a minimum of FF1 and EMT. I far exceeded that but that was minimum to get hired. That recruit academy was 4 weeks. Followed up with additional company drills and sporadic recruit training throughout the year.

So your comments of 16-24 week academies are not even close a lot of places and in fact many smaller FD's require stae certs to help them save time and money on your initial training.

My volly FD has it's own training requirements and they include state vo-tech fire courses and a required amount of in house training. Are they better than some career FF's? Yes. Are there career FF's that are better than them? Yes.

The fact is there are slugs, turds and sloths in both sides of the firefighting world. They harm us every day more than this stupid nonsense of who is better paid or volly.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Default Would You or Wouldn't You

I do not have a problem at all with paid or vol firefighters. My problem is with a paid ff saying a vol is not a true firefighter, this makes him a idiot. The vol may save his life one day. My problem is with a vol saying a paid ff is not a true ff. My question is if the country did away with paid depts all together, would the paid man continue to serve as a vol? if the answer is no, then that person is not in it for the right reason.

Forum Member

Many fire departments down here have completly eliminated the academy as a way to save money, and to test you must already have FF1, EMT, etc. Most guys that apply have these certs through a volunteer fire department or moving from another career agency. "Academy" consists a of a one week orientation regarding how they operate, policies, procedures, human resource stuff, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Real Firefighters

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDueCTVol
    Many who are vollies simply could not take the paycut. We have guys on our dept who are physicians and business executives.

And I like being part of what makes firefighting great - volunteers. Anyone can pick up a check.
    Boy I hope they don't have a wave of volunteers giving out free medical care and business consultations. They may have to start working second jobs and missing out on more time with their families.

The bottom line is if you are reading this than "YOU" are a firefighter. If you take the time every few days to surf this site either at the station or while you pretend to do your full-time job than that means you give a rats-arse about the title of being a firefighter. Your learning and socializing with your brothers. Now everyone, put away the swords and grab the line because we all have a job to do!

Forum Member

I really wish someone would bronze this splinter that's been driven in between us all, that way, we could keep it forever!
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

The bottom line is if you are reading this than "YOU" are a firefighter. If you take the time every few days to surf this site either at the station or while you pretend to do your full-time job than that means you give a rats-arse about the title of being a firefighter. Your learning and socializing with your brothers. Now everyone, put away the swords and grab the line because we all have a job to do!

RoughRider, Where you at?? Put this thing out of it's misery

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LeeJunkins

RoughRider, Where you at?? Put this thing out of it's misery
    Well Said Lee...But as well I must say...

Hadn't checked the board for a couple of days, and saw the title of this thread, and had several thoughts

(1) OH NO....NOT AGAIN!!

(2) Bet it's already up to at LEAST 75 replies (This was before i even read a single post)

Obviously, the Great Rift Between Salaried And Volunteer Has Been Mended This Time...yeah, right. Sadly, because of the 1-2% I saw mentioned, this ain't gonna happen.

The other 98%, on both sides of the issue, will, of course, continue doing what needs to be done, and not worry about this fight at all.

Now…Will someone PLEASE put this poor horse out of it’s misery???

Rob
    ...South of the James...By Invitation Only!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief842351
    I do not have a problem at all with paid or vol firefighters. My problem is with a paid ff saying a vol is not a true firefighter, this makes him a idiot. The vol may save his life one day. My problem is with a vol saying a paid ff is not a true ff. My question is if the country did away with paid depts all together, would the paid man continue to serve as a vol? if the answer is no, then that person is not in it for the right reason.
    What lunacy, if you stopped paying doctors, or lawyers,or policemen ,or indian chiefs, would they continue to show up at work?

There are very good reasons why paid depts exist mate, You need to take your head out of the sand, and by sand I mean that small equine whose name rhymes with mass.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

My question is if the country did away with paid depts all together, would the paid man continue to serve as a vol? if the answer is no, then that person is not in it for the right reason.
    You're joking, right?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

My question is where the hell is CulkinVFD through all of this? Has he chimed in even ONCE since his original post? Post a controversial topic and sit back while people go ape s**t trying to prove who's right. What do you have to do around here to get a thread shut down? It always takes a tragedy for both sides to come together and for me thats bull***t.

We should each have respect for what the other guy does. As far as the volunteers taking jobs away issue, in places like Long Island NY, you might be able to support a paid department. But in upstate NY where there are towns with less than 1,000 people (no tax base), you would have a hard time short of a county wide or regional department. There just isn't that level of organization between the municipalities and counties up here. You think politics in the big cities are bad. Move to a place where everyone is related to each other.

I now step down from my soapbox
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    My question is where the hell is CulkinVFD through all of this? Has he chimed in even ONCE since his original post?
    No, the little turdball hasn't said boo. Screw him....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

A question for the "chief"...

If your employer stated that he was no longer going to pay you, would you still show up and work for him? I think not.

Your arguement is preposterous and hardly rational.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

VOLUNTEERS REAL FIREFIGHTERS?

Look; the bottom line is this:
    There are volunteer firefighters who do just that; they volunteer to throw water on a fire. They aren't interested in training, collecting certs or running EMS calls. They saw the sign; they stopped in. You were stupid enough to put him on your department. DEAL WITH IT.
    There are volunteer firefighters who have the passion so strongly, that they gather great knowledge, are productive members of their fire departments and even teach at the state fire academy. They are constantly looking for ways to improve and even grow the list of services that they provide for their communities. They help with the fundraisers and the benefits for others. He helps the person with the flat tire. He helps a kid hit a baseball. And he even has time for a beer every now and then.
    That's as real as it gets. I don't apologize to NO ONE for what I chose to do with my life.
    It doesn't matter when you know in your heart that you did the best you could and left it better than it was.
    So; I'm done with this.
    There is no point.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh; and for my career buddies? The ones who say they do it for the paycheck and the flex schedule with a wink wink?
    We all know that there are much easier and less stressful ways to earn a living.
    Your mouths belie what's in your hearts; you bunch of big softies.
    Group hug?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

This thread smells like;

[IMG]http://www.theplacetostay.com/marc/images/old/elephant%20****.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by RoughRider; 04-08-2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

My volly side thinks you are a pompous ***.
    Heh...can't even kid around with you guys. Talk about insecurity. Did you miss the big cheesy smiley?
    Anyway, I don't really give a damn what you think about me.

Forum Member

110,110,110! Got it! 115,115,115...110 going once!...110 going twice!
    115 to Chief Reason! Do i hear 120? 120,120,120,120 going once!....120 going twice!

Lol! We should've started a pool! lol

Forum Member

Default Show me da money

Of course I am in it for a paycheck. It is how I earn my living. But, I am very cognizant and happy about the fact that I have a job I like very much.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Of course I am in it for a paycheck. It is how I earn my living. But, I am very cognizant and happy about the fact that I have a job I like very much.
    Ditto!!!!!!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Whats It Matter?

Okay i've read enough BS about this...lol Someone has managed to get everyones hose kinked over this. Any one of us that is paid or volly should know our history of firefighting and where our trained skills have come from.

Well heres the deal when that lil kid looks at you in the truck does he know you dont get a pay check? NO he/she looks at you like a pro football player in awww. Going i would love to do that. It doesnt matter if you get a pay check or not, they want to BE YOU.

Yes, there are some real "JOEYS" out there that want the tshirt the lights and siren. That ruin it for those that truly love the job for what it is, its an Honor to hold the title of Firefighter. Most cant or wont do it, but something inside us guides us to do this and do it as "Professional" as possible.

Just remember when you were lil watching em go by, It didnt matter that they got a paycheck you were to lil to care. It was all about "I want to do that when i grow up"

How many of you are living your dream in someway whether you get a paid for it or not. The commitment to care for your fellow man or woman is pay enough.

Cant we all get along my brothers. And to the person who started this thread, are you secure enough with who you are and what you do? Don't worry about everyone else, Do it and Do it well.

Forum Member

I like to stay out of this, and I will try to as best I can. While I appreciate that some of you are amused by stirring the pot, I will say I have seen some of the most ridiculous comments I have ever seen from guys on both sides of this "argument," some who usually are very constructive with their discussions on here.

The bottom line is this- when you walked into the firehouse the first time, whether two months ago or twenty years ago, you were no brother. You were a new guy. No one deserves respect, you earn it. People want to get mad because Joe from Southwest Ohio thinks that San Diego firefighter are in the game for the wrong reason, or because an FDNY firefighter thinks that the guys volunteering in Western Montana are no different than a buff. If you are a vol, and there are paid departments near you, and you approach firefighting in the right way, they will learn that you are good at what you do! Vice versa, as a paid guy, help the vol learn from your experience.
    BEYOND THAT, WHO CARES? I don't care if you call me a firefighter, or an astronaut, or that guy over there- just don't call me a Canadian (JUST KIDDING TO THE CANADIAN BROTHERS!) I do what I do because I like it, for what I feel are the most legitimate reasons, and if you have a problem with that, sod off and worry about your own problems! In terms of fire departments and respect, my first concern is to have the respect of my own crew, then my department, then if its possible, neighboring departments- see where I am going with this? What someone halfway across the country thinks of your title is far less important than me telling you what I've eaten so far today. Chill out, and let this die boys.

Forum Member

Id love to be a paid firefighter, im working on getting on FDNY or Jersey City. Too bad I wasnt born a poor black,female, hispanic, in a crappy run down crime ridden city, or too bad my daddy wasnt a firefighter. We all know that quotes and realitives make a person a good firefighter.

I think what makes you a real FF is the amount of calls youve been on, training is good but you cant get good practicing in a barbaque room wheres its all fake and safe.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information