Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rumor Control

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rumor Control

I work at a small comm center we have 16 dispatchers, 4 shift supers 1 training officer and a chief dispatcher and one of the problems we run into is the dispatchers spreading rumors on the other dispatchers which is causing some serious morale problems. I was just wondering if other comm centers experiance this and what do they do to combat the situation

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lud3833
    I work at a small comm center we have 16 dispatchers, 4 shift supers 1 training officer and a chief dispatcher and one of the problems we run into is the dispatchers spreading rumors on the other dispatchers which is causing some serious morale problems. I was just wondering if other comm centers experiance this and what do they do to combat the situation
    EVERY Comm Center with more that 2 people has this problem to some extent.
    Leadership must take an active role in nipping the problem, but it will never totally go away.... Nature of the business
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rumor Control

There are two distinct methods of dealing with rumor control that are especially effective when used together. One is to assure that employees are kept up to date on current happenings; especially those that have an impact on their jobs. This helps to deal with the proverbial "I hear we are going to do this", and "did you hear about the new policy" types of rumors. When things don't come as surprise, there is less speculation and bad information. Following up on any overheard rumors with an official communication to clear the air can also help. The second part of the equation - helpful in all situations - is lack of tolerance for rumors. While some of what you describe seems to be on a more personal nature, first ammendment rights aside, employers have a duty to maintain a non-hostile work environment. So, if some people delight in creating havoc they can be held accountable for creating a hostile work environment. Unfortunately, people are people wherever you go, and human nature is always not the kindest. If we ever figure out how to disseminate policy and procedures accurately through the rumor mill we may have something going for us.

Forum Member

Default so true

BarryTfurey: you are correct but there is one more problem and that is the people who suck up the rumor instead of putting it down as just that; a rumor. When people perpetuate the rumor and keep it going that is when people get upset and become offended.

MembersZone Subscriber mtomek112's Avatar

Are these rumors about specific dispatchers or rumors of what's going on in your center???
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Memphis Fire Fighters Association
    IAFF Local 1784
    www.iaff1784.org
    www.memphisfirescanner.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad we're not the only place that has rumor issues : )

Its everywhere....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by lud3833
    20+ years in the fire service taught me alot of things. One of them being "don't believe 90% of what you hear".
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Were you guys working with me tonight

We had this exact discussion at work tonight during a slow period. It is quite evident that people who have nothing else better to do than to start rumors about their co-workers. A few ways you can slow it down (because you will never stop it)is:

Keep up to date on current events in your communications center.

Keep your personal life, personal.

Don't leave personal things, such as bills, mail, medications laying around for all to see. We have a guy who seems to leave his stuff out there in the open.

Those who argue with their significant others while on duty should take it someplace where their conversations can't be heard. We have a guy at work who argues with his wife right at his console, yep same one as above.

I have been studying for a firefighter exam for the past 2 months and have been trying to get on a fire department for about 12 years. I relocated to a more populated area an hour drive from my hometown and workplace to increase my chances at appointment. When I have consecutive long shifts with little down time, I stay at my parent's house which is about 5 minutes from work. The following rumors have been going around.

Junebug is getting hired, he's outta here in 2 weeks (not the case)

Junebug is staying at his Mom and Dad's because his girlfriend threw him out (that's not iiiiiiiit)

Junebug has started working out, his agility test is coming up (nah, just getting in shape)

You guys get the point. No matter who you work for, your life is a National Enquirer!!

Thread Information