Thread: Pet Peeve

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Pet Peeve

I did not write this, but now that I've seen it, I wish I had thought of it. This comes from SafetyXChange.com through my regular email notifier and it seemed appropriate to share:

PET PEEVES

OSHA - The Pet Peeve Mascot

The Boob Tube

My Pet Peeve is the scarcity or total absence of PPE and "common sense" used during prime time fixer-upper TV shows. Whether it's a sock-less, barefoot bubba in an auto restoration shop or a family of 18 (16 children under the age of 17, I kid you not) building their own home, safety is a joke to TV networks.

I've written the networks about my concerns at seeing half a dozen children using a scissors lift as an amusement ride (no fall arrest used), children drilling and sanding without safety glasses or dust masks, and numerous other instances. No trick photography here - it's an OH&S nightmare.

I informed these network people that OH&S persons, companies and unions have spent immeasurable time and money trying to educate their employees, members and the general public - ESPECIALLY young workers - on the importance of working safe. I told them they should be ashamed of themselves for allowing such unsafe practices to be shown so brazenly in a positive light on prime time. Dangerous behavior should not be glorified, especially when it targets children and younger viewers.

This is an abbreviated and toned-down version of what I wrote them. I think we all have a responsibility to respond to such irresponsible behavior. Was I over-reacting? You tell me.
    -----------------

DO-IT-YOURSELF SAFETY FACT

Mr. (Name Witheld) point about the dangers of do-it-yourself home improvement is well taken. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than half a million individuals will end up in emergency rooms this year due to injuries from yard and garden equipment, home workshops and cleaning and painting supplies. About 140,000 of these injuries will be due to ladder accidents.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I've written the networks about my concerns at seeing half a dozen children using a scissors lift as an amusement ride (no fall arrest used),
    You do not need fall protection in a scissor lift, but you must do up the mid chain. You do need fall protection in a boom lift. Just clarifying that point, I agree with the writer that any piece of machinery should never be used as a toy, or abused in any way. It has a specific purpose and that's what it should be used for.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Yeah like in movies you see people cutting down trees with chainsaws! Whats up with that? They are supposed to be used to chase your friends around with; not for felling timber. I mean really, someone could get hurt cutting a tree down. Especially if they are wearing those goggle things! How are you supposed to be able to see out of those?
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by PFire23
    You do not need fall protection in a scissor lift, but you must do up the mid chain. You do need fall protection in a boom lift. Just clarifying that point, I agree with the writer that any piece of machinery should never be used as a toy, or abused in any way. It has a specific purpose and that's what it should be used for.

Hmm sorry to disagree on that one Jenn. But I guess it depends on where the job site is. The Dockyard guys MUST wear fall protection on any lift equipment - that goes for the civilian contractors too. But then I suppose it might be site by site demands, depending on who makes the site safety requirements.

The original story is not mine, I just borrowed it and made no changes to text or content.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Just going by what the OH&S and WCB regs say. On our site I know that I am always on the guys regarding their mid chains on the scissor lifts. Each site can make their own policies as long as they go above what the regs are so perhaps that's what the dockyards have done.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Thread Information