Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    SC, are you going to tell me that the members of your department do not vote on who your Chief Engineer is? Everyone keeps telling us that our jobs are the same, no difference. Surely, you must have an election for chief, or your lieutenants.
    Not in the career ranks. In our dwindling reserve workforce that is how it is done.

And with a little luck, our vollie program will eventually collapse under its own weight.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Our dept in WI had beer, new Chief last year took it out due to obvious reasons. He was voted out this year (wonder why) and old Chief back in..yep, more beer in the fridge than soda and water again.

I feel safe working with this bunch!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Here's a novel idea. Since beer is needed (gimme a break) for the social aspect. How about moving the social aspect to a seperate location?

The firehouse should be for business....period!!
    I couldn't agree more.. At my house no alcohol period at any time! for any reason... All fire department events or functions which will involve alcohol are always held off site ( Firefighters ball, Picnic etc.) no exceptions.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    I see nothing wrong with it. I myself don't drink. We do have alcohol in our stations and it is allowed. Rules are if you drink you don't answer calls. You do and you suffer serious consequences. People tend to forget Volunteer FD's are also a social type of an organization just like an Elks. We just happen to fight fires. I see no harm if a member partakes in a few drinks after a long day at work or on a meeting night. Whether at a bar or at home he is going to do it. At least at the station a fellow brother is going to be sure the person is taken care of if the member has one to many.
    Again I will disagree a volunteer department "Is not a social organization" it is a public service organization first with social aspects, what about public perception? Try this one, a house full of firefighters drinking and the tones drop...parking lot full of cars, house full of appartus and no one to respond...that will make you real popular at your next fund drive.

We maintain a zero tolerance policy for alcohol at my station (Combination IAFF 3151 and IVFA), and trust me we are not a bunch of monks, in my community when the tones drop, the citizens can rest assure that firefighters will arrive, not a couple of ELKs who just happen to fight fires.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckGuy2
    Our dept in WI had beer, new Chief last year took it out due to obvious reasons. He was voted out this year (wonder why) and old Chief back in..yep, more beer in the fridge than soda and water again.

I feel safe working with this bunch!

I've had a few instances where I've gone to teach a class and the department actually attempted to drink beer during the classroom part. There was one department in the north central part of the state where I taught a one night class. As soon as I shut off the lights to begin the presentation I could hear several cans popping open. The lights went back on and they got my usual message that the beer can go away and we can have class, or the beer can stay out and I will go away. We are backed on this 100%, and I and several others have basically left classes over this. I also announce at the beginning of cert classes that if I smell alcohol on anybody they will not be participating for the class. This whole article still angers me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2701
    Again I will disagree a volunteer department "Is not a social organization" it is a public service organization first with social aspects, what about public perception? Try this one, a house full of firefighters drinking and the tones drop...parking lot full of cars, house full of appartus and no one to respond...that will make you real popular at your next fund drive.

We maintain a zero tolerance policy for alcohol at my station (Combination IAFF 3151 and IVFA), and trust me we are not a bunch of monks, in my community when the tones drop, the citizens can rest assure that firefighters will arrive, not a couple of ELKs who just happen to fight fires.

I stated you drink you don't answer the call. Itís simple as that. You do and you suffer serious consequences. A full house of firefighters drunk? Highly unlikely and if the situation were to arise thatís what mutual aid is for and I highly doubt that all 3 station houses will have no members able to run a call due to drinking.

IMO it still is a social type of group that does public service. We have been for over 100 years and unlikely will change. Like I stated I myself donít drink but do not condone others who do as long as its responsibly. Manning of volunteer stations are hard enough these days and you start taking away all perks and imagine what can happen.

Not for nothing it works for us. It may not for you or your department but to each its own. I will not force you to do what you donít want to and vice versa.

Edit:
    If your comparing a paid dept. where its your job then drinking is a definate NO NO. Vollunteer FD and paid are 2 different beasts.
    Last edited by BFDNJFF; 04-10-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Drinking in a firehouse is NOT a "perk", it is an immature and unneccesary action. OSHA would more than likely close down the whole operation if they came in and found firefighters under the influence and found out that the department allowed these individuals on the premesis.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

I stated you drink you don't answer the call. Itís simple as that. You do and you suffer serious consequences.
    The real problem is if you do...your fellow firefighters will suffer serious consequences.

If your comparing a paid dept. where its your job then drinking is a definate NO NO. Vollunteer FD and paid are 2 different beasts.
    This is the attitude that gives us the "are volunteers real firefighters" threads on this forum.

The age of beer in the halls of Wisconsin VFD's is on it's dying breath. Things are not like they used to be.

Assistant Chief

Last edited by 911brad; 04-25-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: ...

Forum Member

Default Thoughts

Brad

As a fellow Wisconsinite and one who commented on this issue I want to say two things.

Yes, alcohol in the fire station still exists in Wisconsin in a few places. Ours doesn't allow it which I'm glad about and I do enjoy a beer on occasion. At no time did I consider your department bad or did I doubt that you have professional and dedicated people such as yourself. Your local officials and leaders are the ones who need to get educated. This was a nice post you wrote, big of you. My issue was that it made headlines and the reputation is portrayed of all departments, not just yours. Local politics are nothing you have control over, you can't let it drive you nuts or away.

As far as the GOB network we've all dealt with it. Look at it that over time change will occur and it will be for the good as long as you and your fellow firefighters keep thinking the way you obviously are.

Again, I think the fact that you posted says alot. Good luck, be safe, and just keeping doing things in a positive manner!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think this is a paid volunteer thing, paid fire dept. like Chicago have also had beer in the house.

Forum Member

Manning of volunteer stations are hard enough these days and you start taking away all perks and imagine what can happen.
    Soooo....you're manning them with people who are intoxicated? And don't say guys who have been drinking don't catch some rides, because we all know better.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, Wisconsinites;
    Is Monroe Fire School still THE social event of the year?
    Watching the folks roll into the campground and tapping their first keg.
    And I keep hearing that Monroe is still one of the best schools to go to, but nobody ever says why.
    Is it the training or the "social" aspects? Or are we calling that "networking" now?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Hey, Wisconsinites;
    And I keep hearing that Monroe is still one of the best schools to go to, but nobody ever says why.
    Is it the training or the "social" aspects? Or are we calling that "networking" now?
    CR
    Chief...

Never heard of the Monroe Fire School, but we're way up north from there so it may be a local thing. Please don't lump us all together. Just as I'm sure there must be people from Illinois who aren't FIB's, there are FD's in Sconie who don't behave that way...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Hey, Wisconsinites;
    CR
    All our conferences have a "social hour". If you think Monroe is good try Telemark or Tomahawk.

Yep, Monroe is a dandy training opportunity. You can learn and have fun at the same time.

BTW, having been to an Illinois IAAI seminar in Champaign I noticed you people like to 'network' down there too! :-)

Forum Member

Cool

It's really simple, don't drink and respond. Whether you drink at home, at a bar, at your friends, at work, at the firehouse, at the police station, etc. DON'T DRINK AND RESPOND.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Assistant Chief

Last edited by 911brad; 04-25-2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 911brad
    I'm so getting my ***** in a ringer after this one....

Brad
    Brad,
    Don't worry...we didn't fire you when you "promoted" yourself to "Captain" of the department

C2
    Last edited by andersonch; 04-11-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    Soooo....you're manning them with people who are intoxicated? And don't say guys who have been drinking don't catch some rides, because we all know better.
    Obviously you don't know better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    Chief...

Never heard of the Monroe Fire School, but we're way up north from there so it may be a local thing. Please don't lump us all together. Just as I'm sure there must be people from Illinois who aren't FIB's, there are FD's in Sconie who don't behave that way...
    I make a motion that all"FIBS" boycott Wisconsin for a year. I am sure our money is not needed or welcome there.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    I make a motion that all"FIBS" boycott Wisconsin for a year. I am sure our money is not needed or welcome there.
    Easy big fella...... I was just making the point that you can't lump everyone from our state into the same kegger at the firehall category...... just like you can't lump everyone from yours into the category of a fibber.....

Forum Member

Default When FIBS attack

Ahh yes.. Reminds me of the wonderful experience I had one time in Chetek. I was having a nice conversation with a group of people and the FIB stuff was brought up. You should have seen the ol jaws drop when I told them I was from Illinois. ....After they just got done MF'n the entire 11 million of us. It showed me how the Badger people REALLY felt. I was cool UNTIL I was from Illinois.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Amery, shouldn't you be spending more time going after the mud ducks??

I'm working a job in Illinois right now, they are treating me fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning
    Amery, shouldn't you be spending more time going after the mud ducks??

I'm working a job in Illinois right now, they are treating me fine.
    You're right. I hereby apologize to the entire state of Illinois. (Except for Mike Ditka)!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Mikey.......

I used to work in Elk Grove Village (still taking medication for it) and there is an attitude about an "illinois resident" sometimes, yourself excluded of course.

Your welcome to come by my place and have a beer anytime you want to!!

Oh wait, is that a bad pun or a joke? Doh!

By the way, you know what a FIBTAB is right??

Seriously.........Some people in this state are so protected and are not "culturally diversified" enough and close minded that it doesn't matter who you are but where you are from sort of speak. I truely appologize for those kinds of people here. Again, your welcome to come on up and have a brewski anytime!! We can talk smart and break stuff!!

Thank you for your money....................now go home...hehehe
    Last edited by Dickey; 04-13-2006 at 02:54 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information