Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Cool

It's really simple, don't drink and respond. Whether you drink at home, at a bar, at your friends, at work, at the firehouse, at the police station, etc. DON'T DRINK AND RESPOND.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Last edited by 911brad; 04-25-2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 911brad
    I'm so getting my ***** in a ringer after this one....

Brad
    Brad,
    Don't worry...we didn't fire you when you "promoted" yourself to "Captain" of the department

C2
    Last edited by andersonch; 04-11-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    Soooo....you're manning them with people who are intoxicated? And don't say guys who have been drinking don't catch some rides, because we all know better.
    Obviously you don't know better.

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    Chief...

Never heard of the Monroe Fire School, but we're way up north from there so it may be a local thing. Please don't lump us all together. Just as I'm sure there must be people from Illinois who aren't FIB's, there are FD's in Sconie who don't behave that way...
    I make a motion that all"FIBS" boycott Wisconsin for a year. I am sure our money is not needed or welcome there.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    I make a motion that all"FIBS" boycott Wisconsin for a year. I am sure our money is not needed or welcome there.
    Easy big fella...... I was just making the point that you can't lump everyone from our state into the same kegger at the firehall category...... just like you can't lump everyone from yours into the category of a fibber.....

Default When FIBS attack

Ahh yes.. Reminds me of the wonderful experience I had one time in Chetek. I was having a nice conversation with a group of people and the FIB stuff was brought up. You should have seen the ol jaws drop when I told them I was from Illinois. ....After they just got done MF'n the entire 11 million of us. It showed me how the Badger people REALLY felt. I was cool UNTIL I was from Illinois.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Amery, shouldn't you be spending more time going after the mud ducks??

I'm working a job in Illinois right now, they are treating me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning
    Amery, shouldn't you be spending more time going after the mud ducks??

I'm working a job in Illinois right now, they are treating me fine.
    You're right. I hereby apologize to the entire state of Illinois. (Except for Mike Ditka)!

Hey Mikey.......

I used to work in Elk Grove Village (still taking medication for it) and there is an attitude about an "illinois resident" sometimes, yourself excluded of course.

Your welcome to come by my place and have a beer anytime you want to!!

Oh wait, is that a bad pun or a joke? Doh!

By the way, you know what a FIBTAB is right??

Seriously.........Some people in this state are so protected and are not "culturally diversified" enough and close minded that it doesn't matter who you are but where you are from sort of speak. I truely appologize for those kinds of people here. Again, your welcome to come on up and have a brewski anytime!! We can talk smart and break stuff!!

Thank you for your money....................now go home...hehehe
    Last edited by Dickey; 04-13-2006 at 01:54 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sklump
    I don't think this is a paid volunteer thing, paid fire dept. like Chicago have also had beer in the house.
    When was the last time you were in Chicago drinking in a firehouse???
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Obviously you don't know better.
    Righto, then. Keep telling yourself that. The fact is that YOU ought to know better.

Forum Member

I DO know better. And people that DO NOT have all the information or facts should not sit in judgement. There are always two sides to every story and we all know that the media will jump on the first piece of information that they get and run with it.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    I'm with ya Mike.
    I'm sorry that I have to do it, but I just scratched off House on the Rock as a motorcycling destination for this summer. My money will stay in Illinois.
    Go Cubs.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Update

I am officially calling off my self-proclaimed boycott of Wisconsin. I have had a ton of fun in the Badger State over the years. Back in 1982, I saw my first Grateful Dead concert at Alpine Valley. I hung around Marquette and was able to legally drink. The stayed 19 up there until I turned 21. Caught a few crappie and plenty more bottle bass. Almost hit a logging truck head-on while taking 141 north of Green Bay...Totally my fault to boot. If you want to really make me get irate, use the term "FIB" There are plenty of jerks fron Illinolis. Every state has them. But it is much more a lively subject north of the border. Relax Wisconsin. A lot of Illini can't stand "Chicago People" either. I happen to be one and not self-hating, so I think we are ok most of the time. I still laugh when I remember that bar conversation.. Where the hell did they think I was from? If you know me, you know I have a straight out southsider accent. If you could have seen the looks on their faces after the whole FIB thing was discussed and I broke the news to them that yes indeed, that guy that you were having a roaring good time with was a FIB! So in the spirit of the holiest times of years for many of us out there I say, go visit the Dells. Go up to Minoqua and catch a big musky. Go to Door County and be a yuppie or Koehler and be a big shot. PEACE
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Manning of volunteer stations are hard enough these days and you start taking away all perks and imagine what can happen.
    I would imagine the townsfolk would have to come to grips with reality and have a paid department where two things can be assured.

a.) They show up when called.

b.) They aren't under the influence because it ISN'T social hour.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    I would imagine the townsfolk would have to come to grips with reality and have a paid department where two things can be assured.

a.) They show up when called.

b.) They aren't under the influence because it ISN'T social hour.
    c.) And their taxes would be so high that no one would be able to afford to live in the town anymore!!!!!

Just a side note, paid department near me runs 1 engine with 2 guys. Vol's are running 2 or 3 with 4-6 guys each.

Which would you rather have?

i'll quote myself....
    It's really simple, don't drink and respond. Whether you drink at home, at a bar, at your friends, at work, at the firehouse, at the police station, etc. DON'T DRINK AND RESPOND.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thumbs down Prohibition is Alive and Well.

I find it hard to believe that the storage and consumption of alcohol during social events in the club house at the fire station is an issue. I would have hoped that this temperance ideology would have died out with the generation that forced us into prohibition.

There is no doubt that alcohol consumption isnít something to be taken lightly. But in this age, there is no room for intolerance and an immoderate view of alcohol. Everything should be embraced and enjoyed in moderation.

If liability is really the concern here, then we would worry more about volunteers who respond from home. A person responding from home may very well have been drinking and their mental state is unknown to others. An individual drinking during a fire dept social event, is known and governed by other dept members. In either case, the dept and the community can count on members to be responsible.

Heart disease is the number one killer of firefighters, and heart disease is linked to obesity. Does this mean that we shouldnít allow eating at fire station events either? No! Eating, like drinking should be done in moderation.

Children of the temperance movement need to realize that alcohol can be enjoyed moderately by responsible adults in any setting.

Forum Member

Default Ray

Don't buy your argument at all Ray.

Eating too much doesn't impair your judgement, drinking too much does. I've never heard of a lawsuit involving a firefighter had had been eating, I have heard of one involving one who'd been drinking.

Want to be a firefighter, join the fire department.

Want to belong to a social club, join the Rotary or Lions club.

Want to drink with fellow firefighters, go to a bar or a private home. Thats what we do in our part of Wisconsin and its doesn't bother anybody.

Thread Information