+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
    MembersZone Subscriber

I would recommend that you actually attend the school before voicing a second or third hand opinion about it.
    There you go again. Spouting off about something you know nothing about.
    I HAVE attended the Monroe Fire School as a student and as a guest of an apparatus manufacturer.
    Got the whacker shirt to prove it.
    Yeah; blame the Illinois guys. Typical.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    There you go again. Spouting off about something you know nothing about.
    I HAVE attended the Monroe Fire School as a student and as a guest of an apparatus manufacturer.
    Got the whacker shirt to prove it.
    Yeah; blame the Illinois guys. Typical.
    CR
    I just responded to the info in your post.

Of course there are drunks and dumbasses there from Illinois and Wisconsin. As well as Iowa and Minnesota too. Fortunately some of the idiocy has ended. But not everyone can go away for the weekend and act like a mature adult and they are from everywhere.

As for the bonfire incident that caused all kinds of problems those were flatlanders and if you want to know from where PM me and I would be happy to tell you.

Monroe is a good school and I hope it continues forever.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Crystal... Congrats, we're all happy that you have made the same sacrifices and commitments that many others here have made, myself included. Now with that said, explain to me exactly WHY beer is required at the firehouse. Does the lack of ETOH deteriorate the "extended family aspect"? Would its’ absence make your sacrifices any less significant?

Now, before the steam pours from your ears and the indignation wells up within you, keep this in mind... I am a parent as well and I have been volunteering for damn near a decade now. I am certified FF2, EMT-B, and I am currently in Paramedic class. I miss quite a few personal events/occasions responding to my company's over 1000 dispatches each year. So, can we agree that I HAVE walked that mile in your shoes??

The volunteer fire department that I belong to has 5 stations, each with a VERY well stocked bar and in a round-about way taxes pay the tab. I'm still waiting for someone to justify this to me. Being a volunteer department, everything is done through POPULAR vote. Officers, association positions, rules, and regulations are all selected on the basis of popularity, hardly the most effective way to get the best people and policies (though, occasionally it does happen). It's a very flawed concept for a small organization. You know the expression "when the cat is away, the mice will play?" Where else do the mice get to elect the cat??? Typical politics, if you want to keep the office, you don't ****-off those voting for you.

It’s not a matter of bashing your department or any other. It’s a matter of questioning policies in the light of full exposure. Beer in the firehouse (whether yours or mine) does not and cannot improve public perception of the volunteer fire service. It just plays into the old stereotype of the drunkard playing fireman, not really good for much beyond parades and polishing the shiny red trucks. Like it or not, we DO have to play the perception game, especially in this day and age when municipal budgets are getting tighter. Perception could make the difference between getting the funding you need or not. Never mind just simply not wanting to be looked upon as nothing more than a bunch of listless alcoholics that only belong to the organization for the alcohol...

So, basically, sorry, your department DID put yourselves on the front page through poor decision making. Obviously you’re not the only department with a poor alcohol policy for the station; you’re just the one that got noticed. Like Clinton, not the first president to get a “Lewinski” in office, just the one that got caught…
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    - George Bernard Shaw

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng542ine
    Like it or not, we DO have to play the perception game
    So then, should every FF in the USA start a petition to get "Rescue Me" taken off the air? Ya, it's just a TV show, but the perception it gives....

I said it before and I'll say it again, if the perception your public has of you is that your a bunch of drinkers becuase you have beer in your firehouse, you need to get your department out and show the other 99% of what firefighter's lives/activities/functions are. (and i don't mean you specifically, it's a general statement). WE (the ff's) are what makes the publics perception of our fire departments. Get out in the public. Show off. Make those good impressions.
    Last edited by Bones42; 04-28-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    So then, should every FF in the USA start a petition to get "Rescue Me" taken off the air? Ya, it's just a TV show, but the perception it gives....

I said it before and I'll say it again, if the perception your public has of you is that your a bunch of drinkers becuase you have beer in your firehouse, you need to get your department out and show the other 99% of what firefighter's lives/activities/functions are. (and i don't mean you specifically, it's a general statement). WE (the ff's) are what makes the publics perception of our fire departments. Get out in the public. Show off. Make those good impressions.
    All but the most dense Americans know there is a difference between Hollywood and real life. There is also a difference in what others do to the fire service, vs. what the fire service does to itself.

You are correct that the fire service needs to market itself better. Being professional, and avoiding the impression of impropriety (if not impropriety itself), is part of that. Just as there is no tolerance for alcohol in a police station or an emergency room, there should be none for it in a fire station.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb
    All but the most dense Americans know there is a difference between Hollywood and real life.
    Which is why a young kid in Florida was convicted of killing another kid because he watched wrestling on TV and decided to try a flying elbow smash on someone else.
    I don't think it has anything to do with "density", but rather, maturity.
    Lots of us drink. I do. I also know that my public persona should not be one that shows the effects of TOO much drink. And the people who know me know that I drink socially.
    And there are those times when I howl at the moon.
    But that is not the image of the fire department nor would I want it to be.
    Alot of times, firefighters are the only adults in the room.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 911brad
    I don't know where that came from, but claiming that I was a "Captain" was not something that I ever did.

Brad
    Well, I will have to find that WCTC Alumni brocure that was sent out about a year or two ago. Does that ring a bell?

Assistant Chief

Default Simple misunderstanding on your part...

Quote Originally Posted by andersonch
    Well, I will have to find that WCTC Alumni brocure that was sent out about a year or two ago. Does that ring a bell?
    That was the informational sheet for the newly formed WCTC Fire Service Organization, of which I was a founding member and then organization Vice President (Assistant Chief). I was listed on that form as being on the Palmyra Fire Department and Assistant Chief of the FSO, not an Assistant Chief or Captain on the Palmyra Fire Department.

Brad

MembersZone Subscriber

I realize that it's none of my business, but you are dangerously close to violating the TOS that was just re-iterated by the WebTeam. No personal stuff/no personal attacks.
    If you and 911brad have some issues, I would suggest PMs or a phone call.
    I don't like seeing anyone get the boot.
    Just offering some advice.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I realize that it's none of my business, but you are dangerously close to violating the TOS that was just re-iterated by the WebTeam. No personal stuff/no personal attacks.
    I don't like seeing anyone get the boot.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

CR
    You guys obviously know each other, why not settle it off forum as ChiefReason very wisely suggested.

This thread has already gone above and beyond the original story. Why not keep WCTC and Wisconsin off the board and settle this amongst yourselves.
    While it generated some discussion I really think the referendum, beer in the fire station, and now WCTC has been beat to death.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry

No personal stuff/no personal attacks.
    Wow, I think my words were taken the wrong way. Sorry brad (and everyone else). Brad and I do know each other and I can swear that we "joked" about this before (back in January 05). I guess it was humor gone bad!

Sorry again Brad.

Assistant Chief

Wow, I think my words were taken the wrong way. Sorry brad (and everyone else). Brad and I do know each other and I can swear that we "joked" about this before (back in January 05). I guess it was humor gone bad!

Sorry again Brad.
    Chad,

PM Sent. It's all good.

Brad

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't we just fight nice??

Why can't we all get along, bury the hatchet and sit down and have a beer together..........

Oh wait, sorry, bad joke.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information