+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Beer OK in WI firestation

Beer OK in Wisconsin firehouse
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=48578

You have got to be kidding.
    If alowed to drink in the house give it time and they will blow it. Some one will go on a call intoxicated, or crash on the way home from an alarm.
    I just hope when it happens no one is hurt or killed.

Just lay off the beer till you get home, then turn off the pager.

Forum Member

Completely dumb. One step forward, two steps back.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I can't understand the letter the chief wrote to the community. Beer is needed for the social aspect?

What about the police department? How would the town feel about the cops having beer at the cop shop? Or public works? Hell, let's have beer at the Village Board meetings. It might make things go smoother.

Crazy.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

I was shocked when I first read this article, but after rereading it, I wonder if the voters experienced the same kind of confusion as I did. This fire company apparently has a social hall, as many companies do, and, as I read the article, needed voter approval in order to continue serving alcohol at hosted functions. It seems unclear as to whether that extends to the fire station itself.

The article states that department regulations prohibit members from riding apparatus if they have been drinking. If consuming one beer in the firehouse constitutes drinking (as it does to me), then there should be no alcohol in the firehouse other than that served in conjunction with a social event.

If that is not the case, then it is a no-brainer. I agree wholeheartedly with the IAFC's position on alcohol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool!
    I think we currently have active topics on alcohol, volly vs career, AND Blue lights in POV's! Which is better, smooth bore or comination fog nozzles?!

Forum Member

I'm on the fence on this one...tastes great AND less filling!

Forum Member

Default Disgusting

Having 25+ years in Wisconsin, this whole thing disgusted me. On a side note the politics are vicious in this little town right now, there was also a referendum to disband the police department. It is also an organization department, not an official city one. No excuses though, this embarrassed me even though I live a distance away.

Most Wisconsin departments eliminated the beer long ago, although there are still a few. I guess I just have a hard time understanding how beer in a fire station could get to the referendum point, I don't think it makes a good reflection on the chief or the members. While alcohol might have a place at social events, it does not have a place in the fire station.

Personally, while I'd never turn my back on a brother in need, I would have a hard time even being in a mutual aid agreement with this department. I realize not all of the members probably drink, and some do use good judgement, but I think it just puts a bit taint on their organization and I'm still kind of shaking my head in disbelief. Seems to me there must be bigger and more important issues in this town then a referendum over beer in the fire hall.

Step off soapbox now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Beer Town

The wrong message is being sent here to the public. No way should this even be considered!!! Do your parties outside of the fire department. This is embarrasing to the state of Wisconsin and our profession! Time to elect a new chief as well. Hopefully someone with intelligence this time.

Forum Member

Default beer

I'll have a Grolsch with my knockwurst and sauerkraut.

Forum Member

Arrrgh, another one. As StillLearning said, even with multiple years on the job, there are still departments that are allowed to do this. I know of a few, I don't agree with it. Our department dropped this years ago, which is a good thing, I don't ever want anyone who is intoxicated or who has been drinking with me on the job. I don't care if it is a Inc. department either, find another way to support yourself.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default I think this is Funny.

Hope they have a round ready for me. As for what I see, they dont get many calls. And that they are going to use the liquor license for social events. Its not really that big of a deal. I really thinks its funny how everything in the forums gets blown up.

Forum Member

Default satire

I agree CaptGonzo 100% and I was only poking a little satiracal humor at the Wisconsin folk. By the way, try working around someone on an aircraft refueling truck loaded with JP4 who is absolutely wasted on Marijuana.

Forum Member

Default Reputation

I've seen alot of progress over the years of the vollies, poc's, and others getting the respect they deserve. When this issue makes newspaper headlines its a kick in the ***** as far as I'm concerned. I think the fact that the department chose to make it a public issue was a disgrace in itself.

Forum Member

Things like this leave the general public with the stereotypical impression that volunteers are a bunch of good old boys, polishing the fire truck with one hand while holding a beer in the other.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    I try working around someone on an aircraft refueling truck loaded with JP4 who is absolutely wasted on Marijuana.
    Been there, done that. And I for one didn't much enjoy it..but he wasn't wasted on "mary jane" Homeboy was trippin on meth.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh wait, it is all clear to me now. They drank on "Rescue Me" they just don't want the guys damaging a nice flask inside their gear.
    I too am a bit confused how this ever got on a ballot

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh man, this is so embarassing.

There are a few departments (too close for comfort really) that still have beer in their pop machine or fridge. It has not business being there for any reason. I am very embarassed that a fire chief would defend this. Sometimes we get a little bullheaded up north...

100 years of tradition unchanged by progress.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I see nothing wrong with it. I myself don't drink. We do have alcohol in our stations and it is allowed. Rules are if you drink you don't answer calls. You do and you suffer serious consequences. People tend to forget Volunteer FD's are also a social type of an organization just like an Elks. We just happen to fight fires. I see no harm if a member partakes in a few drinks after a long day at work or on a meeting night. Whether at a bar or at home he is going to do it. At least at the station a fellow brother is going to be sure the person is taken care of if the member has one to many.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

We had a keg in the ladder truck, capt. passed out on the floor, the pager went off and up went the door, good thing we had a junior sober enough to respond in his ford, how the cat got out of the tree was all sheer luck, but we had all we ever wanted in that keg in the ladder truckkkkkkkkkkkk..........

I'd hate to see what kind of taps they'd have rigged up in there. Can anyone say foam eductor?
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 04-10-2006 at 12:41 AM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD
    I too am a bit confused how this ever got on a ballot
    Stay safe
    In Wisconsin, and I'm sure in other state, citizens can submit a petition for a referendum on almost any topic. They are required to have a certain % of registered voters in that jurisdiction. The governing body then has two options. One is to agree or pass the referendum issue, therefore no vote is required. The second is to not agree to the referendum issue, therefore a vote is required. You can see a few odd referendum questions with this system but also some good ones.

My take is that the council here wanted beer out, some of the FD circulated a petition requesting a referendum the council opted for a vote versus allowing beer in the fire hall or issuing the license. I don't know this as fact, just a guess at this point.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning
    In Wisconsin, and I'm sure in other state, citizens can submit a petition for a referendum on almost any topic. They are required to have a certain % of registered voters in that jurisdiction. The governing body then has two options. One is to agree or pass the referendum issue, therefore no vote is required. The second is to not agree to the referendum issue, therefore a vote is required. You can see a few odd referendum questions with this system but also some good ones.

My take is that the council here wanted beer out, some of the FD circulated a petition requesting a referendum the council opted for a vote versus allowing beer in the fire hall or issuing the license. I don't know this as fact, just a guess at this point.
    Very Correct...... It's called direct legislation.....same process used to get the stupid "let's immediately withdraw from Iraq" resolutions on 32 ballots in the state last week. Local govt's have no choice in the matter, and they can be binding...(not sure about this one)......

Forum Member

Here's a novel idea. Since beer is needed (gimme a break) for the social aspect. How about moving the social aspect to a seperate location?

The firehouse should be for business....period!!
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

"See what had happened was, we elected Jim as Asst. Cheif because everyone liked him and he was half way through his FF1 and he came up with this idea."

Sounds like one of those kinds of situations to me.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
    "See what had happened was, we elected Jim as Asst. Cheif because everyone liked him
    Great qualifications to be chief. A popularity contest determines who manages the public's welfare.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

the 4-1-4

Great qualifications to be chief. A popularity contest determines who manages the public's welfare.

SC, are you going to tell me that the members of your department do not vote on who your Chief Engineer is? Everyone keeps telling us that our jobs are the same, no difference. Surely, you must have an election for chief, or your lieutenants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information