MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2002ish Ford F-150 fires

Good day all, this moring my fire dept attended a fire for a 2002 F-150. There has recently been a recall on the control stated in the artical below. This guy just had gotten it fixed and it was supposedly ok. Bbut I'd like to think it was still the cause of the fire. I went to the dealership where this guy had it repaired and seen whet they were replacing it with. Looks like some POS I put toghther in my grage. This didn't look to reliable. What I want to know is there any one else who has heared about fires relating to this control module, or fires after this problem was fixed? Please let me know.

2002 FORD F150 VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
    Recall Date: 09/07/2005

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPEED CONTROL, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.

Consequence:
    A FIRE AT THE SWITCH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
    BY LETTER DATED SEPTEMBER 12, 2005, OWNERS WERE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED. OWNERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED THAT PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE AND ADVISED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO RECONNECT THE SPEED CONTROL BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS WHO DID NOT HAVE THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED TO HAVE THEIR SYSTEM REMEDIED BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS ARE URGED TO AVAIL THEMSELVES OF THE FREE DISCONNECT SERVICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE SIGNIFICANT RISK OF FIRE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected: 3800000

Thanks,

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

>>This guy just had gotten it fixed and it was supposedly ok. Bbut I'd like to think it was still the cause of the fire.<<

STOP! If you did not conduct a complete and thorough investigation into the origin and cause of this fire, just stop right now.

Show me in NFPA 921 where it says it is OK to "like to think" a fire started in a particular manner.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be honest, I don't have alot of experience in investigating vehicle fires. So heres the situation... You arrive on scene to a smouldering vehicle and theres nothing left, anything that burns is burnt to a crisp. Where would you start looking? Owner used the vehicle last 2 days prior to the fire and has not been used since. Walked by the truck 30-40 minutes before and the truck appeared to be fine, his wife noticed the truck on fire and alerted him and then he phoned 911. I was talking to the insurance agent who is also on our department, and he said they will just pay the guy out. He was telling it's not worth their time or money to hire a CVFI to look at it. But I was just looking into it for my own curiosity.

Forum Member

Default 2002ish f150 fires

recently we had a male subject burn to death in a f 150 that had not had the recall fixed. i have not heard of any problems after the recall was fixed. my advice to all, if you have one, get it fixed. better safe than sorry.

Forum Member

I think we have been on 6 of these fires ranging from 1997 to 2003 models.
    One of them that was a 2002 model was started from the breaks somehow.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

I had that exact problem in my 2001 Ford Ranger... the F-150, Explorer & Ranger share the same sensor. What I was told was it's a small tin foil type disc inside the sensor which is attached to the brake master cylinder. When brake pressure is applied w/ the cruise control active it shuts it off to coast by putting pressure via brake fluid on the disc. Well the little foil disc leaks even if you don't use the cruise control and brake fluid finds it way into the electrical componants of the sensor causing a short and... eventually a fire!!! Luckily I caught mine before flame!!! I was outside mowing the lawn and I saw smoke under my hood!!! After argueing w/ the local Ford service writer, cause the Ranger isn;'t covered under the recall... I got it done for free!!! I've since sold my ranger. Since then I haven't heard of any other truck or SUV's getting recalls from it.
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 06-17-2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Grammar!!! :P

Thread Information