Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question New Officer needs advice

Hey all as the saying goes when it rains it pours. I recently was promoted to LT. got engaged 4 months later and two months after that found out I will be a father in October. We are in our 11 week of pregnancy and I have not slept sound since the first week in February. How can I destress with all the new changes in my life. Oh I also had to quit smoking when she got pregnant. I have noticed a short fuse with volunteers in our organization and I believe it is related to not sleeping at night. My career crew is outstanding with their work ethics, so why am I so stressed? If any of you seasoned officer have any advice I will try it and thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default help

Not so much as an officer but a man with 37 years of marriage under the belt I will try to help a little. The quitting smoking probably has you more on edge than anything. Try excercising before bedtime, about an hour before, and no snacking. Keep the gum and mints handy as a pacifier. See if the wife will let you rest your head on the tummy and just lightly lay there and listen. The wife may get edgy at this time too but each woman is different. Concentrait on the good things like the promotion and having the baby. Stay busy. Above all think good thoughts and stop pis**** people off, especially the wife. If you think you can't sleep now, wait until it's your turn to get up in the middle of the night to bottle feed the baby and so on. Good luck and hang in there because you know you can make it; you have too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks I will see how it goes. I do not want to use medicine to sleep. Besides when is there a 8 hour sleep guarantee in our line of work.

Wow sounds like you need to turn to alcoholism Only joking.
    Try to take a positive outlook on things. Instead of worrying about the baby think about how proud of a father you are. Stuff like that.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

capfiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Shipwreck, you are experiencing something called "life". I'ts a mixture of withdrawal, stress, depravation, worry and fear. Sniping at the vollies? For some reason that sems to you to be the easiest outlet to vent. Not good.

With that many changes occuring in a VERY short period of time, you're bound to have some problems. The big thing is you seem to realize that it's taking a toll. That's a step in the right direction. Also, you've attempted to stop an addiction... good, but damn stressfull in itself. Congrats on the upcoming fatherhood, and the promotion. Now for the advice part...

Get a mentor, an old fart that's BTDT and Got the T-shirt. Someone that you can not only relate to, but who has survived these things that life throws at ya. Use that person as a sounding board, as well as a source of knowledge. DO NOT burn yourself out in the process. Ya, easier said than done, but I'll tell ya first hand, that stress can kill you quicker than CO can. Make some time for YOU and USE IT!! Even if it's just for a nap.

You have alot on your plate. I'm willing to bet you can handle it, but remember the old adage "eat the apple one bite at a time". Believe me, system overload sucks. My best to ya and your lady. Let us know how things go, y'hear?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. I know God only gives you as much as he knows you can handle. Things are going to get better or that is what I keep telling myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Take time to go have fun. If you don't things will just keep piling up. If it only for an hour or two blow off some steam.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

The doctor recommends an 88 cu. in. V-twin, 1450 ccs, cobalt blue, springer front end and a SOLO seat.
    You'll thank me later.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Quote Originally Posted by atr162
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. I know God only gives you as much as he knows you can handle. Things are going to get better or that is what I keep telling myself.
    You are right. God only gives you as much as you can handle...Together with Him, that is!

You'll do just fine. Try to take a look at how many good things are happening in your life and try to appreciate each one of them. The stress your feeling is normal, I've been there too. There are major changes happening, and they're all happening pretty close together. That is not a bad thing, just a little bit overwhelming at times.
    Take it slow, and if possible, take just a few minutes for yourself each day to do absolutely nothing.

Congratulations!
    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information