MembersZone Subscriber

Default 75ft quint/tank size

what is the biggest tank anyone know of on a quint with a single axel. a neighboring dept. has an alf with a 1500gpm pump, with 750 gal. tank w/foamon a single axel. just wondering who else builds them this big. tank size will be a big issue when we get to specing our next truck which might be a quint.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mic409
    what is the biggest tank anyone know of on a quint with a single axel. a neighboring dept. has an alf with a 1500gpm pump, with 750 gal. tank w/foamon a single axel. just wondering who else builds them this big. tank size will be a big issue when we get to specing our next truck which might be a quint.
    The E-One hp 75 aerial ladder on a single axle has a 500 gal water tank !..

Forum Member

Default 75 Ft. Quint S/A Tank Size

Are you sure the FD has a ALF with 750 G Water & Foam Cell??? I find that really hard to believe and not be over either a 31,000 or 33,000 lb. rating single axle UNLESS they've got minimal compartmentation and equipment carrying capacity and a crew of 50 lb. midgets (not trying to insult small people..)

I don't know of any builder that could do that legally IE Axle/Tire load limits BUT there is always going to be a first.

MOST of the OEM's can and do offer a 500 G tank size with a foam cell(s) in a 30-50 G capacity as well as having the ground ladders, compartmentation and equipment carrying capacity.

Do you have the name and or photo of the FD that has this ALF..I'd sure like to see one...

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Why do people continue to insist on single rear axels for aerials?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

750 gallons is a bit much for a single rear axle quint. We have 500 gal tanks on our 75' single rear axle quints and they drive fairly well (although the Jake Brakes help out a bit ) If we were to get some more quints like them they probably would be on tandem axles because we are at the rigs GVW. I would in no way consider 750 gallons on a single rear axle.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

A tandem axle really is a must IMO
    More load capacity, better braking and at times better traction when you can lock them.
    The turning radius of a single vs. a tandem really isnt all that much if any.

750 gal on a single axle . We are just below the GVW on our Tandem axle 75' with 500 gal. 46k in the rear and 18k on the front.
    Last edited by k1500chevy97; 04-09-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

My department will soon be taking delivery on a 75' single axle quint. We where limited to a total of 500 gallons due to weight (500 gallon max of water and foam). It worked out to be 460 gallons of water and 40 gallons of foam. If you want more water than that I have to agree you should go with a tandem axle.

Forum Member

Our dept has operated a single axle, 10 man cab, all steel cab/body/ladder, 75' rearmount with a Waterous 2 stage 1500GPM pump and steel 350 gallon tank since 1991. Braking and weight has never been a problem/issue. I would also point out that our truck has an 8V92 engine with a Jake brake on it, and anyone who has operated a truck with the Series 60 with a Jake knows it's much more effective as far as engine stopping power goes. Also, the newer Allison transmissions tend to be much more responsive as far as downshifting is concerned. Couple that with the ability of manufacturers to use much lighter cab/body materials such as aluminum, as well as the lighter aluminum wheels and poly tanks, more compact yet more efficient single stage pumps, electronic controls replacing many manual (and weighty) controls and you're talking an extremely significant reduction in overall apparatus weight. An aluminum ladder will only further reduce that weight. Newer independent front suspension systems increase front brake size and stopping power. Most single axle rearmounts are medium duty rated aerials anyway, good for around a 500 pound tip load. We're not talking 1500 pound capacity tower ladders here.

These are just some important factors to consider before making sweeping statements such as "aerials MUST be tandem axle."
    Last edited by Chauffer6; 04-10-2006 at 11:21 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by aerialguy1
    Are you sure the FD has a ALF with 750 G Water & Foam Cell??? I find that really hard to believe and not be over either a 31,000 or 33,000 lb. rating single axle UNLESS they've got minimal compartmentation and equipment carrying capacity and a crew of 50 lb. midgets (not trying to insult small people..)
    Perhaps it's a Squrt? I'd agree, sounds too heavy for a single axle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default i've seen the truck

it's a monster! i have asked three times been told it is 750gal. it's a quint trying to find pics. i haven't seen the specs. but it is much bigger than any quint i have ever seen. i talked to another salesmen from another company. and he just shakes his head not sure how they did that. i'll try and get some pics of it.
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

Default monster

Quote Originally Posted by mic409
    it's a monster! i have asked three times been told it is 750gal. it's a quint trying to find pics. i haven't seen the specs. but it is much bigger than any quint i have ever seen. i talked to another salesmen from another company. and he just shakes his head not sure how they did that. i'll try and get some pics of it.
    mic409

If it's an ALF... get me the Vin Number & I can look in the vehicle file and see what size tank was installed.

Take care, and be SAFE
    Bert

MembersZone Subscriber

Default will see what i can do

the best part about it is that they recieved the truck through a fema grant, and it was a demo. i will see what i can do about the vin number.
    thanks
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default 2000 gal

Fallon/Churchill has two ladder trucks that have 2000 gal. on each. But there rear twin axle's. Those are real war wagons.

Forum Member

Fallon Does have some very well speced out trucks. Most departents would love to have what they have. Of course they must have the $$$

I believe in this months Fire Apparatus in the "Now in Service" section. They have a 65ft ladder with full cabinets, full sized pump, and 770gals of water. I know its only a 65ft ladder, but I still think that truck has to be almost at GVWR when loaded. It was made by Spencer Fire Apparatus in Grand Haven MI.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default after further review

i have heard rumors that the truck i mentioned was delieverd to a dept. and that dept. rejected it becasue it was overweight. obviously! so alf made it a demo and then sold it to the above menitoned dept. this is only a rumor, but i have heard it 3 times in the last week. and all were by those in the truck industry and all lost out the bid on the truck. but i still have no reason not to believe them.
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

Isnt there a lot of liability in making a truck that is overweight? How would the receiving department measure weight? Would they take wheel scales to the final truck inspection and if it was overweight, reject it. Then do they get their deposit back?

Forum Member

Default 75 Ft. W 750 G Water Tank?

I'd sure like to see photos of this truck and can't imagine that the rear single axle isn't over weight..The maximum rear axle rating that I know of is a 33,000 lb. rating and based on this tank size, body, aerial device there is no way it can be under the 33,000 lb. axle rating unless they aren't carrying any equipment... Anyone got a photo of this apparatus to share?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    750 gallons is a bit much for a single rear axle quint. We have 500 gal tanks on our 75' single rear axle quints and they drive fairly well (although the Jake Brakes help out a bit ) If we were to get some more quints like them they probably would be on tandem axles because we are at the rigs GVW. I would in no way consider 750 gallons on a single rear axle.

Because they save about $20 to $25 G's by not having a tamdem rear!!!! Doesn't make any sense to cut back on safety!!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

I have trouble believing a mgr would build a truck knowing it was overweight or in danger of being so with the usual assortment of equipment, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Why do people continue to insist on single rear axels for aerials?
    Due to long narrow curved driveways and roads we spec'd ours this way (32 feet long). The other dept in town has a dual axle tower ladder which cant get to much of our district. We have a 500 gal. tank.

Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information