Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question 1 Year waiting list?

I am a retired Marine, now working full time in a career department. My 18 year old son wants to be a fireman, so I suggested looking into the Air Force program. I heard that the AF program was the best of the armed forces. Now he is being told that there is a 1 year waiting list to enlist if you want a guarentee. Can anybody out there confirm or deny?

Quote Originally Posted by scluff141
    I am a retired Marine, now working full time in a career department. My 18 year old son wants to be a fireman, so I suggested looking into the Air Force program. I heard that the AF program was the best of the armed forces. Now he is being told that there is a 1 year waiting list to enlist if you want a guarentee. Can anybody out there confirm or deny?
    That definetly sounds like the recruiter spreading bull**** on your sons bread.......Go back with your son, tell him to draw up guaranteed enlistment papers for firefighter only. When the recruiter says that line again, tell him "Ok, see ya,,,,,I'll go see what the Corps can do for me." I am almost willing to bet the recruiter wlll come running out the door after him with the papers drawn up.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I spent a year in the DEP program waiting to become an Air Force Firefighter. A few of the guys in my tech school class waited a long time also just for a guarenteed firefighter job.

Forum Member

Can someone clear this up for me? My recruiter told me I can't be guaranteed the air force FF job until after I go to MEPS and pick my top 5 job choices. He said if there is an opening for FF when the jobs come out then I will get guaranteed FF. He said if there is not an opening for FF when the jobs come out, then I will be given another job on my top 5 list. Is this accurate? Please help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes and no I joined back in May of 04 but signed a contract in MEPS in early 03. I was guaranteed a firefighter job. When I got to MEPS and was ready to leave in 04 there was an argrument whether or not to guarante my contract. It all depends on how much each service needs Firefighters.

Quote Originally Posted by msm28145
    Can someone clear this up for me? My recruiter told me I can't be guaranteed the air force FF job until after I go to MEPS and pick my top 5 job choices. He said if there is an opening for FF when the jobs come out then I will get guaranteed FF. He said if there is not an opening for FF when the jobs come out, then I will be given another job on my top 5 list. Is this accurate? Please help.
    the easiest way around this is to get the critical list, which fire protection is always on, put fire protection at the top, then pick 4 other jobs that are NOT on the critical list. Make sure they're jobs you would be willing to do, just in case.

but by doing this you can pretty much guarentee that you'll get fire protection.

worked for me.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Smile Plan B

Plan B = Go Navy... Damage Control OR Aviation Boatwains Mate Handler, go see the Navy, your almost guaranteed to get both if not one of these jobs.

Plus you'll be fighting alot of training fires anyway because in the Navy everyones a firefighter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cb1776
    Plan B = Go Navy... Damage Control OR Aviation Boatwains Mate Handler, go see the Navy, your almost guaranteed to get both if not one of these jobs.

Plus you'll be fighting alot of training fires anyway because in the Navy everyones a firefighter!!!
    this is the worst idea ever.

Are you a navy recruiter? because those shiesty bastigase tried to hook me with the same thing.

edit: everyone in the navy may fight fires, but they most certainly are not firefighters.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Spectre08: Can you tell me where I would find that information about which jobs are not critically demanded? What jobs did you list other than FF? Thanks.

Spectre08: Can you tell me where I would find that information about which jobs are not critically demanded? What jobs did you list other than FF? Thanks.

when you process at meps they pull up a list of available jobs and ask you to pick ones you want. on the list the ones that are highlighted are critical. Most jobs are highlighted.

aside from fire protection I picked

Photography
    Aerial Gunner
    Signals Intelligence
    Loadmaster

Loadmaster was also critical so I put it at the bottom of the list. But it was a job I would have been happy doing.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

It kind of depends on if you have a day that you want to enter boot camp before, if you are willing to wait, you can likely wait up to two years. The orders change week to week and sometimes day to day, so it is also sort of a luck of the draw.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    when you process at meps they pull up a list of available jobs and ask you to pick ones you want. on the list the ones that are highlighted are critical. Most jobs are highlighted.

aside from fire protection I picked

Photography
    Aerial Gunner
    Signals Intelligence
    Loadmaster

Loadmaster was also critical so I put it at the bottom of the list. But it was a job I would have been happy doing.
    Loadmasters get to try for jump wings.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

this is the worst idea ever.

Are you a navy recruiter? because those shiesty bastigase tried to hook me with the same thing.

edit: everyone in the navy may fight fires, but they most certainly are not firefighters.

As joining the Navy may not be the worst idea ever....telling them that you want to firefight is because I said I wanted to be a firefighter in the Navy and they put me in the enginerook on a submarine....Also when I went into the Recruiting office I talked to the AF first and they said it would take a year to wait before I could even sign up for the AF so I can vouch for that. Also I didnt get my guarentee papers until MEPS the only thing the recruitor did was ask me what I was interested in and filled out a crap load of paperwork. At MEPS after I took the ASVAB they brought up 2 rates that fit my score from the ASVAB. And its not that everyone in the Navy is a firefighter more/less has had fire training.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

scluff141-

The AF school at Goodfellow AFB trains all DoD personnel for ARFF. All services are fighting for slots there. Do you have an Air Guard unit nearby? If so most of them have a full time civilian paid with some sort of enlistment requirement department. Turn over is fairly frequent due to ff's using it as a stepping stone to other civilian ff jobs. In the past we have had pipeline students go to basic training then return home till a slot opens at the school. No one has had to wait more than 6 months though. In the meantime they continue to show up for drill weekends and get a little ojt before school.

MembersZone Subscriber

currently being in the NAVY i can tell you that the first five years of your career you won't get much fire training because you'll be on a ship. if you pick the ABH rate "like myself" you'll have to stick it out until you're up for shore duty and then go to Goodfellow AFB for your basic certs. it's worth the wait if you want to do some traveling while you get some other shipboard ff quals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Little I Know from (2000-2001)

Hi.
    I was best friends with a great recruiter who was a normal human being around 2000-2001.

He had a goal of 5 recruits a month and worked 7 days a week and never made goal once. He was recruiting in a difficult and wealthy area.

The airforce sends out job openings every week updating expected needs with upcoming retirements & outprocessing. While I can imagine that there may be a one year waiting list, that may not be the case 4 weeks from now. If you feel the recruiter is not being honest, call 3 others - air force.

If a recruiter tells you there is a one year waiting list - notify the recruiter to update their computer logs that your son wishes to be an airforce fire fighter and email someone in washington D.C. who is incharge of recruiting - preferably a general.

This may sound like over the top, but recruiting commanders typically release extra openings in a job field if parents or upset enlistees email in.

My friend was upset because she could not become a nurse (LPN). She emailed washington D.C. and my other friend (the recruiter) had not updated his computer about her situation. She became a nurse, and he got his *** chewed for not documenting her situation.

She did become a nurse....they were going to make her some sort of housing job... exterminator or something.
    Last edited by Bravo91w; 05-30-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo91w
    Hi.
    I was best friends with a great recruiter who was a normal human being around 2000-2001.

He had a goal of 5 recruits a month and worked 7 days a week and never made goal once. He was recruiting in a difficult and wealthy area.

The airforce sends out job openings every week updating expected needs with upcoming retirements & outprocessing. While I can imagine that there may be a one year waiting list, that may not be the case 4 weeks from now. If you feel the recruiter is not being honest, call 3 others - air force.

If a recruiter tells you there is a one year waiting list - notify the recruiter to update their computer logs that your son wishes to be an airforce fire fighter and email someone in washington D.C. who is incharge of recruiting - preferably a general.

This may sound like over the top, but recruiting commanders typically release extra openings in a job field if parents or upset enlistees email in.

My friend was upset because she could not become a nurse (LPN). She emailed washington D.C. and my other friend (the recruiter) had not updated his computer about her situation. She became a nurse, and he got his *** chewed for not documenting her situation.

She did become a nurse....they were going to make her some sort of housing job... exterminator or something.
    The ChairForce sends recruits to nursing school now?
    -Big Russ

Thread Information