Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default United 93 Movie: Too soon?

Just read an article about the upcoming movie, and I'm conflicted:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...181589,00.html

It sounds like the people who made this movie got everyone involved to give it their blessing, and Time seems to think it does a superb job of showing the heroism of the folks involved. Part of me doesn't want to see this, especially if someone is making $ on it. Another part says that if the film honors the bravery of these heros, and helps remind the people that we are at WAR, then it is worth it. Kind of like Saving Private Ryan , hard to watch but worth the message.

What do you guys think?

I would like to go see it because of the bravery of those souls that day.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

The pictures of 9/11, including this movie, should be mandatory viewing every day. Every day. Maybe then we wouldn't have such a large number of cowards who lost their will to fight for their country.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    The pictures of 9/11, including this movie, should be mandatory viewing every day. Every day. Maybe then we wouldn't have such a large number of cowards who lost their will to fight for their country.
    Exactly
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Like who? Which cowards?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Movie airied on TV several weeks ago. I thought that it was very well done. I don't know how realistic the in-flight scenes were (what was fact and what were fillers), but I think it could have been real close to what really happened. Going through to pain of the friends and family on the ground was heart-wrenching. Re-living that time and place in history is sure to bring a tear (or two) to anyones eyes. A must see!!! I will never forget 9/11 for as long as I live!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Movie airied on TV several weeks ago. I thought that it was very well done. I don't know how realistic the in-flight scenes were (what was fact and what were fillers), but I think it could have been real close to what really happened. Going through to pain of the friends and family on the ground was heart-wrenching. Re-living that time and place in history is sure to bring a tear (or two) to anyones eyes. A must see!!! I will never forget 9/11 for as long as I live!!!
    Are you thinking of the discovery or history channel documentary? I think he is talking about the feature film that is coming out in theaters soon.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Are you thinking of the discovery or history channel documentary? I think he is talking about the feature film that is coming out in theaters soon.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    No documentary....made for TV Movie. It was called Flight 93 on A&E. I thought that is what he was talking about. I guess the TV movie did so well, they decided to make a full feature film on the same topic. Sorry about the misunderstanding. My memory is not so good. All I could remember was the "93" part. Anyway......if it is anything like the TV movie, it should be good. Take care!!

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

The pictures of 9/11, including this movie, should be mandatory viewing every day..........
    George I agree...When I witness first hand protesters at a Military funeral here in my home town, I wanted to cry. People forget.

Side note: God Bless Corporal Kevin T. Kolm, 23, of Hicksville, New York, died April 13,2004.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

I know I'll see it in their honor and memory.

R.I.P.!

I don't like the idea of someone making money off the tragedy. Anyone know if profits will be donated some how? However, I do think it is good that their memories will be honored respecfully and in a way so others can honor them too. As far as I know, all the victims' families approved of the movie. As long as they approve, that's good enough for me.

Sorry but I think its tastless, just like the Oliver Stone movie on 9/11. There are some things in my mind that should be left alone. I dont know of a movie about the Oklahoma City Bombing. Maybe a TV Movie but not a multi-million dollar movie. We all know films are made to make money. No film studio makes a flop on purpose (Cept whoever made Basic Instinct 2.... )

I dont think a movie should be made about the sacrifices of the ones who died. 9/11 is something that will never be forgotten. We dont need a movie about it to remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    Sorry but I think its tastless, just like the Oliver Stone movie on 9/11. ......

Here is the difference between United 93 and the assho1e Stone's movie...The Familles of all people murdered on United 93 are on board and gave permission. The writers and director did their homework. Stone didn't. Stone's movie 2 out of the 4 PA cop's familles gave permission.
    There are a million GOOD stories to be told. I agree, nobody should be getting rich off the 3000 that were murdered 9-11-01, but their stories should be told and remembered.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

This was written in Sports Illustrated (of all places) shortly after Flight 93. I thought it one of the better articles written about that event.

Four of a Kind

Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2001 6:11 PM

The huge rugby player, the former high school football star and the onetime college baseball player were in first class, the former national judo champ was in coach. On the morning of Sept. 11, at 32,000 feet, those four men teamed up to sacrifice their lives for those of perhaps thousands of others.

Probably about an hour into United Flight 93's scheduled trip from Newark to San Francisco, the 38 passengers aboard the Boeing 757 realized they were being hijacked. The terrorists commandeered the cockpit, and the passengers were herded to the back of the plane.

Shoved together were four remarkable men who didn't much like being shoved around. One was publicist Mark Bingham, 31, who helped Cal win the 1991 and '93 national collegiate rugby championships. He was a surfer, and in July he was carried on the horns of a bull in Pamplona. Six-foot-five, rowdy and fearless, he once wrestled a gun from a mugger's hand late at night on a San Francisco street.

One was medical research company executive Tom Burnett, 38, the standout quarterback for Jefferson High in Bloomington, Minn., when the team went to the division championship game in 1980. That team rallied around Burnett every time it was in trouble.

One was businessman Jeremy Glick, 31, 6'2" and muscular, the 1993 collegiate judo champ in the 220-pound class from the University of Rochester (N.Y.), a national-caliber wrestler at Saddle River (N.J.) Day School and an all-state soccer player. "As long as I've known him," says his wife, Lyz, "he was the kind of man who never tried to be the hero -- but always was."

One was 32-year-old sales account manager Todd Beamer, who played mostly third base and shortstop in three seasons for Wheaton (Ill.) College.

The rugby player picked up an AirFone and called his mother, Alice Hoglan, in Sacramento to tell her he loved her. The judo champ called Lyz at her parents' house in Windham, N.Y., to say goodbye to her and their 12-week-old daughter, Emmy. But in the calls the quarterback made to his wife, Deena, in San Ramon, Calif., and in the conversation the baseball player had with a GTE operator, the men made it clear that they'd found out that two other hijacked planes had cleaved the World Trade Center towers.

The pieces of the puzzle started to fit. Somewhere near Cleveland the passengers on Flight 93 had felt the plane take a hard turn south. They were now on course for Washington, D.C. Senator Arlen Specter (R., Pa.) believes the plane might have been headed for the Capitol. Beamer, Bingham, Burnett and Glick must have realized their jet was a guided missile.

The four apparently came up with a plan. Burnett told his wife, "I know we're going to die. Some of us are going to do something about it." He wanted to rush the hijackers.

Nobody alive is sure about what happened next, but there's good reason to believe that the four stormed the cockpit. Flight 93 never made it to Washington. Instead, it dived into a field 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. All passengers and crew perished. Nobody on the ground was killed.

In the heart of San Francisco's largest gay neighborhood, a makeshift memorial grew, bouquet by bouquet, to the rugby player who was unafraid. Yeah, Bingham was gay.

In Windham, a peace grew inside Lyz Glick. "I think God had this larger purpose for him," she said. "He was supposed to fly out the night before, but couldn't. I had Emmy one month early, so Jeremy got to see her. You can't tell me God isn't at work there."

In Cranbury, N.J., a baby grew in Lisa Beamer, Todd's wife, their third child. Hearing the report last Friday of her husband's heroics, Lisa said, "made my life worth living again."

In Washington, a movement grew in Congress to give the four men the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest award a civilian can receive.

At a time like this, sports are trivial. But what the best athletes can do -- keep their composure amid chaos, form a plan when all seems lost and find the guts to carry it out -- may be why the Capitol isn't a charcoal pit.

My 26-year-old niece, Jessica Robinson, works for Congressman Lane Evans (D., Ill.). Jessica was in the Capitol that morning. This Christmas I'll get to see her smiling face.

I'm glad there were four guys up there I could count on.

Issue date: September 24, 2001

Find this article at:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...life_of_reilly
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Sorry but I think its tastless, just like the Oliver Stone movie on 9/11. There are some things in my mind that should be left alone. I dont know of a movie about the Oklahoma City Bombing. Maybe a TV Movie but not a multi-million dollar movie. We all know films are made to make money. No film studio makes a flop on purpose (Cept whoever made Basic Instinct 2.... )

I dont think a movie should be made about the sacrifices of the ones who died. 9/11 is something that will never be forgotten. We dont need a movie about it to remember it.
    So we should ban all the WWII movies out there because someone might make a profit on the tousands upon thousands who died in that war?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

So we should ban all the WWII movies out there because someone might make a profit on the tousands upon thousands who died in that war?
    It would be principled for those who are making a profit to contribute to veterans' causes, memorial funds, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtbff927
    It would be principled for those who are making a profit to contribute to veterans' causes, memorial funds, etc.
    Oh come on. Next doctors cant make a profit because they are supposed to help people. Firefighters either. Wheelchair makers should give their product away. Drug manufacturers shouldn't make a profit. Farmers surely shouldn't be able to profit from their labor because there are people starving. Do you think it would be a fitting tribute to the americans who died on September 11th to eliminate things that have made this country great? Private ownership, capitalism, entrprenuerial spirit? Whats wrong with making a movie honoring the memory of flight 93 and making money? Nothing. It's good to see that someone is keeping these memories alive - and now some people want to take away the profit motive? Nobody would make this movie if they didn't think they could make money from it. I guess it would be better in thes opinion of some if these stories were never told. God forbid people earn a living!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Oh come on. Next doctors cant make a profit because they are supposed to help people. Firefighters either. Wheelchair makers should give their product away. Drug manufacturers shouldn't make a profit. Farmers surely shouldn't be able to profit from their labor because there are people starving. Do you think it would be a fitting tribute to the americans who died on September 11th to eliminate things that have made this country great? Private ownership, capitalism, entrprenuerial spirit? Whats wrong with making a movie honoring the memory of flight 93 and making money? Nothing. It's good to see that someone is keeping these memories alive - and now some people want to take away the profit motive? Nobody would make this movie if they didn't think they could make money from it. I guess it would be better in thes opinion of some if these stories were never told. God forbid people earn a living!
    Ding, Ding, Ding....I think we have a winner!!! I believe that ChicagoFF is smarter than the average bear.
    I couldn't have written it better (really). I see people every day who are starting to forget what happened on that horrific day. I spent a year away from my family because of it. We need to remember that day and learn everything that we can about it so that it will NEVER happen again. Some say ignorance is bliss....I say ignorance is just plain ignorant!!!

Thank you and have a nice day!!

Forum Member

I guess if its not a dead horse around here it has to be a high one.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Arrow What he said......

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    sums it up for me too.

A&E made money of thier version too in the form of advertising and all those folks like me who subscribe to cable TV.

I want to know everything about those brave folks on that plane. I will gladly pay $8.50 to see their story.

It has to be better than paying to see a movie like Farenheight(sp)911.
    (that should bring medimaster and NozzleTH out of the woodwork)
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Thread Information