Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfdffemt17
    Being from NH and also being an EMT I can assure you that the National Registry, nor the State of NH Bureau of EMS is issuing certifications or licenses of any kind to 16 year olds. As a certified frist responder you are practicing emergency medicine, albeit at its most basic level. Being the fact that you are 16 you could not be held liable if any mistakes were made. Your department may in fact call you a "first reponder apprentice" or something like that, but you do not have a license number from the State, nor are you certified as any sort of apprentice.
    yes you are correct that the national registry wont take anyone under 18, however he most likely can get a state cert. maybe NH is different, but im 17 years old and live in NJ and i hold an EMT-B certification...
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Most states have their own first responder level certs. For instance Vermont had the ECA or emergency care giver certification. It was slightly above the national registry first responder and allowed Vermont first responders to use oxygen and I believe assist in backboarding. In fact unless you are a "National Registry" state chances are all of the certifications are somewhat unique to the states. Some states have EMT-D or EMT-B plus AED, etc... I know in Vermont you can have a first responder cert and the ECA cert(if it still exists) before the age of 18. I am not sure about New Hampshire but I know I took the first responder class with a bunch of Charlestown, NH firefighters. This was about 4 + years ago and I have been an EMT-Basic for almost 2 years now so I am not 100% with current rules/laws.
    Last edited by 38ffems; 04-24-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    yes you are correct that the national registry wont take anyone under 18, however he most likely can get a state cert. maybe NH is different, but im 17 years old and live in NJ and i hold an EMT-B certification...
    The National Registry does take people under the age of 18. I've made the offer of showing my drivers license as well as certification cards as proof.

Most states have their own first responder level certs. For instance Vermont had the ECA or emergency care giver certification. It was slightly above the national registry first responder and allowed Vermont first responders to use oxygen and I believe assist in backboarding. In fact unless you are a "National Registry" state chances are all of the certifications are somewhat unique to the states. Some states have EMT-D or EMT-B plus AED, etc... I know in Vermont you can have a first responder cert and the ECA cert(if it still exists) before the age of 18. I am not sure about New Hampshire but I know I took the first responder class with a bunch of Charlestown, NH firefighters. This was about 4 + years ago and I have been an EMT-Basic for almost 2 years now so I am not 100% with current rules/laws.
    Vermont's ECA does exist, but it's on par with the National Registry certification now, and that includes the age rule of sixteen years of age. I took the class at fifteen, and once I turned sixteen I was able to run as a First Responder.

Vermont still allows you to do the extra modules between ECA and EMT-B, which would give you the ability for oxygen, backboarding, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Default Vermont's ECA Guidelines

6.31 To be eligible for the first time for certification as an Emergency Care Attendant, a person must:

a. Be at least 16 years old.

b. Be sponsored by a licensed ambulance or first responder service.

c. Hold a valid course completion certificate issued within the past 2 years for completion of a Department approved course based on the National Standard First Responder curriculum.

6.32 Emergency Care Attendant Recertification: To be eligible for recertification as an ECA, a person must:

a. Complete a Department-approved ECA refresher program as detailed on the Department's ECA recertification documentation form.

b. Continue involvement with the delivery of emergency medical treatment as described in Section 6.31b.

c. Successfully complete a Department-approved ECA written examination and skill verification within the past year.

d. Apply on forms available from the Department to receive the new certification.

6.33 Scope of duties. A person certified as an ECA may render emergency medical treatment under medical control in accordance with the training associated with this certification level. ECAs who successfully complete training approved by the Department in the use of an AED may also use this device for treatment of cardiac arrest patients.

6.34 Terms of certification: ECA certification is issued for a period of up to two years and is timed to expire on the same date as the person's training certificate (per Sec. 6.31c).

6.35 All ECAs who were originally certified prior to March 2000, shall transition to the 1999 First Responder curriculum within their current or next ECA certification period in accordance with the following principles:

a. The Department shall make available training materials to assist squad training officers in preparing ECAs for the transition. No formal transition course is required.

b. ECAs shall take the National Registry First Responder examination and the accompanying Department approved practical examination at the time they are transitioning.

c. ECAs who completed training in the use of an AED from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or other program approved by the Department, within the year preceding their transition shall be given credit for ECA to EMT training module one and be authorized to use this device after satisfactorily completing the Department's module one examination.

d. ECAs who successfully complete the transition process shall also be given credit for ECA to EMT training modules 2-4.

e. ECAs who are transitioning will be given the scope of practice associated with the ECA to EMT modules 2-4 upon successful completion of National Registry First Responder testing and the applicable module testing.
    Vermont's ECA, is the NREMT First Responder. They use the same requirements as the NREMT.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

This is interesting, I have looked at the NH Department of EMS web site, and apparently they do allow for an "apprentice" position. However, I have researched the NREMT website, and they will not allow you to be come certified in anything until you are 18. However the State of NH will allow you to be an apprentice if you meet the below guidelines. I am sorry for my original post with the misinformation.

Saf-C 5901.06 "Apprentice" means a person who possesses a current certificate of training in CPR as defined in Saf-C 5901.31, and basic first aid, but who has not attained the legal age for licensure as a provider in accordance with RSA 153-A:11, III.

Forum Member

However, I have researched the NREMT website, and they will not allow you to be come certified in anything until you are 18.

National Registry #: F4042##4
    Registrant Name: _______, Christopher ______.
    Registration Status: Registered
    Status Description: Currently registered with the NREMT.
    Expiration Date: 9/30/2007
    Reregistration Status: N/A
    Status Description: Reregistration is due by your expiration date.

A few minor details changed (2 digits of registry # removed, last name and middle name also) to protect my identity. Born 11 08 1988, for the record.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Yeah it seems that each state does have it's own little tweaks to the EMS system. Here in NY, the levels are CFR (Certified First Responder), EMT-D (which is basic), EMT-I (intermediate, where you can do a few things that basics cant), EMT-CC (stands for critical care, where you can basically do anything a paramedic can, except you have to call med control to obtain permission to push virtually any drugs), and then EMT-P, which is your paramedic. Seems kinda confusing, eh?

Also, you have to be 18 to hold any of these certs in NYS except CFR, which you have to be 16 to hold.
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

Lightbulb

While I'm here I might as well add my certs and classes to the pile:

Firefighter I
    Scene Support Operations
    Basic Structural Collapse Operations
    Accident Victim Extrication
    Rescue Tech - Basic (introductory/low angle rope rescue)
    ICS-100
    IS-700
    EMT-Defib
    Epinephrine/Albuterol Administration
    Basic Trauma Life Support

and I'll be taking Fire Police this weekend. I try and stay busy
    Last edited by HolleyFF241; 04-26-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

As long as you guys are getting certs I dont know if you are aware or not but if you want to impress your departments you can get certifications through FEMA's online classroom. Our department did an IS-700 class but in reality there is no need for it because you can get it online. All of the members of my search and rescue team are simply taking it online. Obviously your department may want you to have some sort of in house course but heres the link in case: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/ . Its really easy and can be completed in a couple of hours.
    My Certs:
    FFI
    EMT-B
    HAZMAT Awareness/Operations/Decon
    Advanced Vehicle Rescue
    Leadership I (NFA)
    Basic Pumps
    Flashover Survival
    CAMEO/ALOHA/MARPLOT
    IS-700
    Amatuer Radio-Tech
    VT Part-time Law Enforcement
    (there is a ton more I can't remember)
    Certifications are only as valuable as the person certified. If you dont keep up your training with them you may as well toss them out.

Forum Member

Being from NH and also being an EMT I can assure you that the National Registry, nor the State of NH Bureau of EMS is issuing certifications or licenses of any kind to 16 year olds. As a certified frist responder you are practicing emergency medicine, albeit at its most basic level. Being the fact that you are 16 you could not be held liable if any mistakes were made. Your department may in fact call you a "first reponder apprentice" or something like that, but you do not have a license number from the State, nor are you certified as any sort of apprentice.
    Must Disagree For the state of North Dakota i was able to be come a NR-First responder at age 15. I am Now a NDEMT-B, which inculdes, AHA AED, and CPR. As a First responder what are you guys alowed to do?

Forum Member

AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers
    AHA First Aid
    ARC Adult/Child/Infant CPR
    ARC First Aid
    FEMA IS-00100
    FEMA IS-00700
    FEMA IS-00800

Soon to take EMT-B

Forum Member

First responder
    Cpr
    Hazmat awareness
    and on the 9th Im taking my 160. I took the class twice but Im fianally able to take the test because they took out the live burn down here and replaced it with a summary hands on class.

Forum Member

Cool

Fire Fighter 1
    Fire Fighter 2
    Haz-Mat Basic concepts
    Haz-Mat Decon
    Cpr
    Auto Extricaton Basic
    Auto Extrication Advanced
    Basic Structural Fire Fighting
    Advanced Structural Fire Fighting
    NIMS
    ICS (Incident Comand)
    Wild Land Fire Fighting

And A few medical classes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    yes they will i took the national registry first responder class and test a month ago and i am only 17

Forum Member

let me refraze that i took the test a month ago but the actual class was like 2 1/2 months long

Forum Member

Every sate is different. GA doesnt recognize ANY first responder training, ita more of a personal thing. I can say I am a first responder, but GA wont certify you for it. The lowest they recognize is EMT-B.

How did everyone get FF1 before 18?

How long did the NIMS stuff take online?>

Forum Member

I got Fire Fighter 1 when i was 17 my chief said i could take it when i was 16.

Forum Member

In GA you have to be 18 AND have a high school diploma before you can get certified.

Forum Member

Firefighter 1
    Rope Rescue 1 & 2
    Basic Vehichle Extrication
    SCBA Competency
    RIT/FAST
    ICS 100/200/700
    Hazmat Mass Decon/Ops/WMD

Can't wait to take EMT-B, Rope 3, Advanced Fire Attack, Advanced Vehicle Extrication, and Firefighter Safety and Survival. ICS-300 can wait til I feel like being bored out of my mind lol.
    Last edited by Lieutenant516; 07-29-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvfdfireman227
    I got Fire Fighter 1 when i was 17 my chief said i could take it when i was 16.
    In Jersey you have to be 18. I started when I was 17 with some strings pulled, but by the time the fire parts came, I was 18 and could do them and get certified.

Forum Member

Well I might as well update mine while I am here

Georgia Basic Firefighter
    NPQ Firefighter 1
    Hazardous Materials Awareness
    Healthcare Provider CPR/AED

Starting EMT school in October. Also gunna go ahead and get some more Haz-Mat training, at least to Tech level.

Forum Member

Fire Fighter 1
    Fire Fighter 2
    Fire Fighter Survival
    Live Fire Training 1a
    Live Fire Training 1b
    HazMat First Responder Ops.
    HazMat Ops.
    HazMat Ops. Refresher
    Ice Rescue
    ICS 100
    NIMS 700
    Emergency Vechile Operations

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    I'm just wondering what kinds of certifications other juniors/explorers/cadets have. Post 'em up.

My Certs:
    Bloodborne Pathogens
    HAZMAT Awareness
    Red Cross CPR (Adult/Child/Infant)
    Red Cross First Aid
    Red Cross AED
    Basic ICS (Old-style, forgot the name)
    NIMS Introduction
    NIMS ICS Basic (700?)

Red Cross/DHS Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) certified, though not through the FD. Separated because its kind of a wierd one.
    I am certified in:
    First Aid
    CPR (Child Adult Infant)
    AED
    Lifeguarding
    ANd eventualy when i am old enough (17) i plan on gettin my EMT licence

Forum Member

update.......I am presently working on all the NIMS stuff. Have some certs, but I have not completed all that I have started. Got some other new ones but am out of town so I can't look up the exact names.

Btvaine, how long you been around the fire service??
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

EMT-B
    Hazmat
    NIMS 700
    Ice Rescue
    Swift Water Rescue
    Bridge Rescue
    Trench Rescue
    PPE
    Bloodbourne Pathogens

Thread Information