Forum Member

Default Your Certifications

I'm just wondering what kinds of certifications other juniors/explorers/cadets have. Post 'em up.

My Certs:
    Bloodborne Pathogens
    HAZMAT Awareness
    Red Cross CPR (Adult/Child/Infant)
    Red Cross First Aid
    Red Cross AED
    Basic ICS (Old-style, forgot the name)
    NIMS Introduction
    NIMS ICS Basic (700?)

Red Cross/DHS Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) certified, though not through the FD. Separated because its kind of a wierd one.

Forum Member

AHA Healthcare Provider CPR/AED
    Red Cross First Aid
    Red Cross Adult/Child/Infant CPR
    Red Cross AED
    Red Cross Lifeguard
    Gasoline Pipeline Emergencies Awareness
    Introduction to Terrorism Awareness (yeah its wierd)

Then we have in-house training, but not certified cause we are not old enough or don't want to spend the money on FF I, First Responder, Meth Labs, Arson Investigation, Vehicle Extrication, School Bus Extrication, etc.

My dad is an instructor and has taught me Rope Rescue, some basic Trench Rescue, and some others but still, not certified.

I think that's it.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 04-11-2006 at 05:46 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Certifications

NIMS an Introduction ( I failed it the first time, but took it again online)
    ICS 700

Working on: FF-1a Thrugh NH Fire Explorer Academy
    First Responder Apprentice
    CPR-First Aid
    AED

I would like to accomplish the last 3 before the end of the summer.
    Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFDexplorer2
    NIMS an Introduction ( I failed it the first time, but took it again online)
    ICS 700

Working on: FF-1a Thrugh NH Fire Explorer Academy
    First Responder Apprentice
    CPR-First Aid
    AED

I would like to accomplish the last 3 before the end of the summer.

What is First Responder Apprentice???

Also, if you get First Responder, why get first aid too??? I know that for the EMT class here, you get the AHA Healthcare Providers CPR/AED card, but why spend the time and money on the First Aid cert if you are gonna be First Responder?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I've got
    Rookie Firefighter
    Firefighter 1
    Firefighter 2
    Haz-mat Ops
    Ladder ops
    EMT-B
    LP gas
    NIMS basic
    and basic Pump Ops

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    What is First Responder Apprentice???

Also, if you get First Responder, why get first aid too??? I know that for the EMT class here, you get the AHA Healthcare Providers CPR/AED card, but why spend the time and money on the First Aid cert if you are gonna be First Responder?
    Since Im not 18, I cant get on the registry as a certified first responder, so as a FR Apprentice I can ride on ambulance calls, and have a liscence # but it doesnt count for anything on the TEMSIS report. and the first aid i have to take in high school to get my health education credit.
    Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Forum Member

Since Im not 18, I cant get on the registry as a certified first responder, so as a FR Apprentice I can ride on ambulance calls, and have a liscence # but it doesnt count for anything on the TEMSIS report. and the first aid i have to take in high school to get my health education credit.
    Uh, at 16 you can be a first responder on the registry. It's EMT Basic that says otherwise in NH
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

EMT-B
    ICS 100/200
    CO Awareness
    AHA CPR/AED
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    CO Awareness
    Never heard of that. What was the class like?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Never heard of that. What was the class like?
    it was just like an introduction to CO emergencies, stuff like the levels that it becomes dangerous, signs/symptoms of CO poisoning. it was pretty good, especially cause we get tons of CO alarm calls around here
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    it was just like an introduction to CO emergencies, stuff like the levels that it becomes dangerous, signs/symptoms of CO poisoning. it was pretty good, especially cause we get tons of CO alarm calls around here
    That's a really good idea. Who put that class on? Your dept? If you can get a hold of the training materials could you email them to me? I would be interested in forwarding that to our advisors and getting our post trained in that.

Forum Member

it was done by an instructer from our county's fire/ems acadamy that came to our firehouse on one of our meeting nights. wish i could get ahold of the course materials but i doubt i'll be able to get much ill look around though.

might just wanna try asking your advisers if they have it, they might have the same or similar course in your area
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

alright slaytallica, will do. Thanks man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Uh, at 16 you can be a first responder on the registry. It's EMT Basic that says otherwise in NH
    Really? Our EMS captian told me otherwise... I'll have to ask the Chief....
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Thanks.
    I believe you cannot be on the NATIONAL registry for EMTs when you are under 18, but some state registries will allow it. Check state laws.

Forum Member

when i was an explorer i had accumulated:

FF1 & 2
    EMT B
    Haz-mat op's
    some old ICS stuff
    ERT
    and some other little stuff

of course most of these did not come into affect untill i turned 18

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    I believe you cannot be on the NATIONAL registry for EMTs when you are under 18, but some state registries will allow it. Check state laws.
    I'm still under 18, and certified by the NREMT as a First Responder.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

First Responder certs are issued by the NREMT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    First Responder certs are issued by the NREMT?
    Yes. NREMT has a national level first responder certification.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

How much was the first responder course? I would like to take one this summer.

Forum Member

Unsure of the cost. Normal NREMT Fees, and state testing fees applied to us, and that was it. We held it in house, purchased the books with our groups training funds, and the course was instructed inhouse also.

The cost was very small, because we were so lucky to have those options available to us. In the end, all we paid was for the books, testing fees, and some snacks each time we were in class for during the break. The guys donated their time to us to see us get some training that would be helpful in our futures.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

did not know that found more info so nevermind on that
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 04-14-2006 at 02:16 AM.

Forum Member

I have-MRT(Ct's version of first responder),Cold Water Rescue Operations working towards some more soon I hope.

Forum Member

Default First Responder Apprentice

Thanks.

Being from NH and also being an EMT I can assure you that the National Registry, nor the State of NH Bureau of EMS is issuing certifications or licenses of any kind to 16 year olds. As a certified frist responder you are practicing emergency medicine, albeit at its most basic level. Being the fact that you are 16 you could not be held liable if any mistakes were made. Your department may in fact call you a "first reponder apprentice" or something like that, but you do not have a license number from the State, nor are you certified as any sort of apprentice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfdffemt17
    Being from NH and also being an EMT I can assure you that the National Registry, nor the State of NH Bureau of EMS is issuing certifications or licenses of any kind to 16 year olds. As a certified frist responder you are practicing emergency medicine, albeit at its most basic level. Being the fact that you are 16 you could not be held liable if any mistakes were made. Your department may in fact call you a "first reponder apprentice" or something like that, but you do not have a license number from the State, nor are you certified as any sort of apprentice.
    I will have to respectfully disagree with you. After just getting off the phone with NH Office of EMS, they will accept NREMT First Responder because NH is a NRENT state. One of the criteria for First Responder, is to be "atleast" age 16.

I'll show you my cards, and a copy of my license if you'd like to see it.
    Last edited by Res343cue; 04-24-2006 at 11:02 AM.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information