MembersZone Subscriber

I had the misfortune of hearing it unfold over the scanner. They were very aggressive in trying to get to the trapped resident. You could hear the terror in the IC's voice when the "fireman down" transmission was made. My heart goes out to Appuzio's family at home and to his bigger family at the station. He made the ultimate sacrifice. Hang in there, guys.
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

Default Directly from the East Franklin Website:

Taken from http://www.station27.com

OUR FAMILY GRIEVES
    Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio (1984-2006)

4/11/2006
    -
    It is with deep regret and sorrow that the East Franklin Volunteer Fire Department announces the passing of firefighter Kevin Apuzzio, 21, who was killed in the line of duty this morning.

Shortly after 6AM this morning Somerset County Communications received a 911 call reporting a structure fire with entrapment at 36 Whittier Avenue. Members of our department arrived within minutes finding a fire in a single family dwelling and confirmed that there was an occupant trapped. Firefighter Apuzzio led a crew of 4 firefighters inside the structure with a charged hoseline to affect a rescue. During the rescue attempt the first floor of the structure collapsed and Firefighter Apuzzio became trapped inside the building. Firefighter Apuzzio was removed from the building and was transported to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The other four members of his crew are currently being treated for injuries including burns and smoke inhalation. The incident is currently under investigation by the Franklin Township Police Department, Somerset County Prosecutors Office, and the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety.

Since the establishment of our department in July 1929 this is our first line of duty death. Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio, made the ultimate sacrifice for a member of this community he had never met. Firefighter Apuzzio was born and raised in Union, NJ where he attended St. Michaelís grammar School and Union Catholic High School. He was also a student at Rutgers University where he was finishing his degree in Criminal Justice. While attending Rutgers he worked as an EMT for over 4 years with Rutgers University Emergency Services. Firefighter Apuzzio joined the East Franklin Fire Department in August of 2003. His contributions to this department were extensive and far reaching and he will be deeply missed. Kevin and other members of the Rutgers Student body that are also members here made it a practice of studying at the firehouse rather than at the library or in their dorms so that they could staff our apparatus. He participated in fire prevention activities at local schools each year teaching fire safety to children. He was dedicated to improving himself and his fellow firefighters attending and regularly attended training, striving to learn all he could about the emergency services.

His tragic death is a tremendous loss for our fire department family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this most difficult time. We would also like to thank members of the community both locally and worldwide that have taken the time to offer their support to us in kind and in spirit.

Funeral arrangements for Firefighter Apuzzio will be announced here when they are available.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy Very sad

My condolences to the East Franklin Volunteer Fire Department and the Apuzzio family for their tragic loss.

Sleep with angels, Kevin
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Default a thousand thanks

On behalf of the East Franklin VFD I would like to thank you for your generous support and kind words today. Kevins loss has hit us very hard but the outpouring of support has been comforting. We ask that you keep Kevin and his family in your thoughts and prayers in this most difficult time.
    Sincerest thanks,
    W.Wilson
    EFVFD

HNFC FF/President

on behalf of the Hi-Nella Fire Company, i would also like to offer my condolences to the Appuzio family, his friends, and his department. It is a sad day for us all.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lodd

RIP Brother - our prayers are with your family and your company.

Colonia VFD

Forum Member

Rest in Peace Brother. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and the East Franklin Vol. Fire Dept.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

RIP young Brother.

As with others this just breaks your heart, so young. My sincere condolences to Kevinís family, Friends and his Brothers in Station 27/East Franklin.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

God bless and rest in peace brother. My heart and prayers go out to your family and our brother firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of HIS Saints"

Rest in peace brother.
    Last edited by RoughRider; 04-12-2006 at 03:17 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Rest in peace brother! Watch over the rest of us from above!

Forum Member

Default Funeral Arrangements

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS
    Funeral Arrangements for Firefighter Apuzzio are as follows. The wake will be held on Monday, April 17th from 12 Noon to 9 P.M. The funeral will be held on Tuesday, April 18th at 10:15 A.M. with fire department services. Following the services there will be a procession to Kevins final resting place in the Mt. Olive Ceremony in Newark. Both the wake and the funeral will be held at St. Michaels Church, 1212 Kelly Street in Union, NJ. The burial at Mt. Olive will be limited to the Apuzzio family, and members of the East Franklin FD, Rutgers Emergency Services, and the Union EMS.

Transportaion details are being set up at this time. We expect to be offering a shuttle and bus service from the New Brunswick area to and from Union for all fire department attendees on both Monday and Tuesday. Location and times of the bus and shuttle service will be posted here shortly.

Fire Departments wishing to attend are asked to RSVP with the New Brunswick Fire Department at (732) 745-5167. Please include your department name, contact person, and an estimate of personnal expected to attend; please do not call our station number. Fire Departments are asked to wear Class A uniforms. Information for individuals and organizations wishing to make donations in memory of Kevin will be posted shortly. Thank you for your patience as we make these arrangements.Updated 4/12/06 @1643 hours.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

May you rest in peace and look over the rest of your fellow brothers.

http://c-n.com/specialsections/multi...ire/index.html

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...604140322/1001

Governor honors firefighter hero

Home News Tribune Online 04/14/06

Gov. Jon. S. Corzine signed an executive order yesterday in honor of East
    Franklin firefighter Kevin Apuzzio.

Corzine is calling for American and New Jersey flags throughout the state to
    fly at half-staff on Tuesday, the day of Apuzzio's funeral.

Apuzzio died in a fire in Franklin April 11 while attempting to rescue
    75-year-old Betty Scott. A funeral service for Apuzzio is being held 10:15 a.m.
    Tuesday at St. Michael's R.C. Church in Union. Following the service, a private
    procession limited to family and select emergency services personnel will take
    Apuzzio to Mount Olive Cemetery in Newark.

Apuzzio was born in Elizabeth and attended Union Catholic High School in
    Scotch Plains. He was a senior at Rutgers University, studying criminal justice.
    There, Apuzzio joined the Rutgers Emergency Services Department. He was a
    firefighter with the East Franklin Volunteer Fire Company since August 2003.

Corzine's order read, "Kevin Apuzzio's selfless devotion to public service
    and the protection of others makes him a hero and a true role model for all New
    Jerseyans."

Staff report
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

The actions of FF Kevin Apuzzio and the crew he was with that fateful day shall serve to remind us of the true spirit that must lie within each of us when we don our helmets and go to work each and every time. His death symbolizes the honor, strength and courage that is the true essence of firefighting. God bless and stay safe.

True brotherhood shows through the best and worst of times. There is no shortage of it for kevin and the East Franklin Fire Department.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Default Kevins Law

Some Guy

and extend municipal health benefits to every member of the fire company.

Right, that will happen.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Right, that will happen.
    OK. When I left the prosecutor's office, the family coverage I had was just shy of $13,000 year. Single coverage was just shy of $6000. My volunteer FD has arguably 150 guys who would qualify. That means, even using Boonton math, an extra $900,000 in the budget. At least.

That ought to have the volunteer FD's RAKING in the money at fund raising time, huh?

That legislator is despicable. He knows that there is zero chance that he will ever be able to deliver on that legislation. But he uses a tragic loff of life to go vote shopping. Despicable.

Thread Information