Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Gas Gas

What is this "stale beer" you speak of??

Just about every domestic "brew" you could name!

Minus certain exceptions, of course.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

This is a good website to show where the cheapest gas may be in your town or if you would like to check out prices through out the country or even in Canada
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Its not a personal choice for most Americans, we have to continue to pay the high price in order for us to get by on a day to day basis. Comparing our prices to say Europes is like comparing apples and oranges. America is a young society that was founded on each and every person having his or her own land, hence westward expansionism. Because of this our society has always expanded outward moving further and further from town centers as technology advanced which happened to coinced with our countrys own physical growth. The US has all ways been a major consumer of oil products not just gas. That being said you don't see other products that use petroleum going up 10, 15, or 20 cents a day do you? I don't. Europes gas prices are the direct result of an old society that has concentrated population centers with very little if any urban sprawl, and excellent public transportation. Cars arent needed in Europe as much as there needed here. That means that gas in Europe is basiclly a luxory item.

The oil companies and the government both know that the US is an oil dependent country and there is no viable alternative insight for the next 25 to 50 years. Oil is CRACK and we are the junkies the dealers know we will come back so they keep jacking up the price. What are we going to do? Walk to work. I don't know about anybody else but I live 24 miles from my station. Walking is not an option and there's no buses or trains nearby.

Government intervention isn't necessary. Economic collapse will cause prices to fall. When the gas prices reach their peak were the majority of Americans have to choose between buying things they believe they need and putting gas in their cars to go get it, prices will fall. They won't fall far but they will fall and stabilize for a while.

On oil reserves the whole we are running out of oil and its all going to be gone soon mentality is BS. Yes we are bleeding the reserves were using dry. There are reserves that havent been touched off the coast of Miami, Alaska, and its suspected that Siberia has the largest reserve in the world. So large that it makes the Middle East look like a swimming pool. The oil companies are just holding off in order to continue there money making business.

MembersZone Subscriber

They went to control it, not sell it dirt-cheap.
    Hey Noz, for about the fiftieth time...where is your proof? Or are you just still spouting liberal talking points? No wait. Even the liberals have stopped using this one.

Where's the proof, Noz?

There's one very significant impact that you guys are missing, and that's the effect higher fuel prices have on local governments' ability to deliver, or for that matter, even simply maintain services at their current levels.

First, there's the obvious. The increased prices mean increased cost to deliver fire protection, police services, EMS, trash collection, and just about everything else under the sun. Unless you're operating with a very nice surplus, something's got to be cut.

The second far less obvious but much more damaging impact in a reduction in operating revenue to go along with the increase in fuel costs. This revenue reduction occurs in two fashions.

First, fuel is taxed by the gallon. Every jurisdiction from the Feds down to your local town gets the same revenue per gallon whether that gallon costs 50 cents or 50 dollars. Prices that are elevated so high as to actually curtail some driving, that revenue goes down. Around here, fuel taxes are used for road repair and improvement so that means less money to pave and patch.

Second, the greatly increased fuel costs are causing people to spend cash that would have otherwise been used to purchase items who's sale would have funded general operating expenses. Here's a real world example. In 2004, 10 gallons of fuel cost around $18. Today, that same 10 gallons costs $30. In both situations, my town got 70 cents in tax revenue for the 10 gallons but in 2004 the buyer had $12 in his pocket to spend elsewhere. That $12 equates to 48 cents in potential sales tax revenue that just disappeared into the tank. The disappearing revenue means disappearing services, disappearing raises, and possibly disappearing employees.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Due to some mechanical faults, my truck has been pretty much parked for the past three weeks. Finally was forced to take it out last night for EMT class.

SHOCK AND HORRORS! Gas went from 2.75 (average) to 2.99 (average) - again. Back to 40.00 plus for 16 gal. Gonna get so that it's too expensive to run the lawn mower even! Siiiiigggggghhhhhh oh well. The price of "freedom" I suppose. {That's Travel freedom, I refer to}
    -------------

This is a new one on me....

Gas Shortages Hit Southeast Virginia. Two Switches In Fuel Leads To Shortages

POSTED: 8:31 am EDT April 21, 2006

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Gas shortages are hitting Hampton Roads hard -- and experts say they could spread across the commonwealth.

In Norfolk and Virginia Beach on Thursday, some gas stations only had premium gas to sell.

Others had "No Gas" signs posted.

John Malbon, president and chief executive officer of Virginia Beach-based Papco, which distributes gas to hundreds of stations in Hampton Roads, told The Richmond Times-Dispatch that spot shortages are the result of two simultaneous switches in the blend of gasoline sold to motorists.

He said for one, summertime switches to cleaner-burning gas always cause retailers' tanks to get low for a time. And the industry is switching gas additives this spring, also adding to shortages.

Meanwhile, gas in the Hampton Roads area hovered at $2.93 and up Thursday.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 04-21-2006 at 09:03 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

The news is reporting that people are going to pawn shops, pawning off thier belongings to get gas money!!!!!!

Apr 21, 2006 8:22 am US/Eastern

Pain Of Gas Prices Hitting Home
    In Texas, Pawn Shops Find Fuel Crunch A Business Boon
    CBS News: Gas Prices State-By-State

(CBS) DALLAS High gasoline prices are causing some Texas residents to take desperate measures. Pawn shops say their business is increasing, with some customers saying they're selling things to buy gas.

Pumps ran dry at scattered gas stations as fuel terminals and stations struggled to adapt to ethanol in fuel mixes, causing some customers to hark back to widespread gasoline shortages of the past.

Catherine Rossi, a spokeswoman for AAA Mid-Atlantic, said she knew of eight stations in the Philadelphia region that were out of fuel on Thursday.

"There is truly a dearth of supply in the Philly and New York markets today," said Wayne Hummel of Liberty Petroleum L.L.C.

Gas prices are climbing again, with most stations prices hovering at, or just below $3.00 a gallon, reports KTVT-TV.

"We just have customers come in and have to tell us that they need money until the end of the week, for gas to get back and forth to work," said Dallas pawn shop owner, Gerald Costner.

Pawn shop owners say they are seeing it all come in: Everything from high end jewelry, to name brand purses, and televisions. They say customers are frustrated and have no place to go to get extra cash for gas.

"Some of the construction people tell us they are having to pawn their tools to buy gas, but when they pawn their tools they can't go out and work in the construction business because their tools are in pawn. So it kind of a 'catch-22,'" Costner said.

Mary Rodriguez has worked at the Casa View Pawn Shop for five years. She says she's seen people of all ages coming in looking for help.

"We've always had a clientele of the young kids, or middle age kids, and now we're getting an older generation," said Rodriguez . "It just seems wrong that they have to pawn things just to get gas, to make ends meet on things like that."

As prices continue to rise at the pumps, many motorists say they don't see things getting better anytime soon, for the consumer.

"It is frustrating, but the thing is they know they can get away with it, because people need gas," Rodriguez said.

At Casa View Pawn, the owner says they have seen the increase in numbers during the past couple months.

Catherine Rossi, a spokeswoman for AAA Mid-Atlantic, said she knew of eight stations in the Philadelphia region that were out of fuel on Thursday.

"There is truly a dearth of supply in the Philly and New York markets today," said Wayne Hummel of Liberty Petroleum L.L.C.

Four of the 40 stations Liberty supplies in the Philadelphia region ran out of fuel in the last two days as its tanker trucks made futile trips from terminal to terminal, Hummel said.

Jai Kulkarni, owner of a Kwik Farms convenience store and a Lukoil station, said he was out of gas for about four hours on Wednesday, losing about $200 an hour in sales.

At the station Thursday, Vinnie Zambuto, 31, of Coatesville, said he never saw a gas station run dry before he encountered one last week.

But Zambuto said he had heard tales from his parents of gas shortages of the 1970s, and hoped the current supply stumbles would be short-lived.

In Norfolk, Virginia and Virginia Beach yesterday, some gas stations only had premium gas to sell. Others had "no gas" signs posted. Steve Leisten, a manager with petroleum supplier PAPCO, told CBS News it could be several weeks before inventory levels are back to normal.

Refiners are switching to fuel formulations containing corn-based ethanol, prompted by the federal Energy Policy Act of 2005, and ethanol's affinity for water requires extensive work both at fuel terminals and the service stations themselves.

Retailers must clean their tanks, remove all water and install extremely fine filters on their pumps. Terminals have to clean tanks to store the ethanol and install equipment to blend it with the gasoline.

Independent gasoline distributors said few terminals had gasoline on Thursday. A Pacific Energy Partners L.P. terminal that did was filling trucks in only two of its five lanes, with waiting times of four hours. "We are doing our best to activate the others," said Jennifer Shigei, a company spokeswoman.

Refiners declined to go into detail about the supply situation, but Shannon Breuer, a spokeswoman for Sunoco Inc., said the company was "focused on being a reliable supplier" and was confident any problems would be short-term.

AAA warned that supply disruptions could continue for the next few weeks, however, as terminals and stations deal with the new blends, and that could drive soaring pump prices still higher.

The shortages come on a day when there is also a new record for oil prices.
    On Friday, oil prices briefly jumped to $73 a barrel for the first time.
    At pumps around the nation, a gallon of gas is up 30 cents over the last
    month, CBS News reports.

The average gasoline price has already jumped 22 percent to $2.85 a gallon in the Philadelphia area since the latest upturn early in March, and 18 percent to $2.71 in southern New Jersey in the past month, AAA said.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    Last edited by scvfd412; 04-21-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

MembersZone Subscriber

These are two blatant examples of irresponsible media conduct. There simply is, by everyone's account, no gas shortage. This would have happened if gas was .50 a gallon. It is interesting to note that it is these idiot liberals who caused us to have to have 25 different blends of gasoline in the first place. They are also the ones who cause our reliance on foreign oil by blocking attempts at getting our own. They are also the ones who keep blocking construction of new refineries so that more gasoline can be refined more cost efficiently.

Oh wait. I'm wrong. It's all President Bush's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    These are two blatant examples of irresponsible media conduct. There simply is, by everyone's account, no gas shortage. This would have happened if gas was .50 a gallon. It is interesting to note that it is these idiot liberals who caused us to have to have 25 different blends of gasoline in the first place. They are also the ones who cause our reliance on foreign oil by blocking attempts at getting our own. They are also the ones who keep blocking construction of new refineries so that more gasoline can be refined more cost efficiently.

Amen George! People would puke if they knew how many American drilling rigs have to shut down on a regular basis so they don't pump "too much" oil; or how many huge oil fields are not allowed to be drilled on to keep certain people happy. They can't drill on dry land so they have to drill offshore, and that aint a cheap hobby.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Amen George! People would puke if they knew how many American drilling rigs have to shut down on a regular basis so they don't pump "too much" oil
    The same thing happens in Northern Alberta too. I have friends who work in the fields there, and I hear similar stories from them, too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Bush Orders Price Gouging Probe

There there. Things are going to be all better.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

No George, it's not all W's fault:

Soaring gas prices are squeezing most Americans at the pump, but at least one man isn't complaining.

Last year, Exxon made the biggest profit of any company ever, $36 billion, and its retiring chairman appears to be reaping the benefits.

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes

As prices spin out of control a company records the largest profits in corporate history and the CEO is allowed to take $400,000,000 out of the company. The excuse of lack of refining facilities is just plain crap. With a $36,000,000,000 profit, don't you think a few billion could be invested into refining facilities?

I can't and won't "blame" the president, I just expect him to get to the bottom of such blatant corporate greed with the nations most valuable resource.

People gotta blame somebody................
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

I almost cried last night. On my way back from the Co meeting, I found gas for 2.99/gal. That was CHEAP. Never thought (well Ok, I hoped) I'd be happy to pay 2.99. 3.05 is average here now, for regular. I wont say what premium is worth.

Thumbs down

MalahatTwo7 we would love to see $3.05 a gallon. Around here gas is selling at 110.9 a litre, that works out to $4.19 a gallon. Most places are 112.9 a litre - 4.26
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Ya. I know. I keep up with friends 'n family back home and I've heard. Just plain sucks all round. Dont forget I get to factor in exchange rates: our current Treasury Board rate is 1.15, so that 3.05 is (according to the army) worth 3.51 CDN and your 4.26 is equal to 3.70 US. (I dont know what the current "Bank" rate is right now)

So, ya we have a ways to go down here, but there are predictions that we might hit close to 4.00/gal by summer. Rumour has it another increase will hit during the Memorial Day weekend, 29 May.

So how do you explain the price when all those factors were in place and gas was selling for half the price it does now only a couple of short years ago?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

As sick as this is to say, thank God gas is only $2.77 where I live.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    So how do you explain the price when all those factors were in place and gas was selling for half the price it does now only a couple of short years ago?
    Greed!!!!!

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

If I was posting this somewhere else, about every 2nd or third word would get me banned on here

1. What the _______ does someone need $400 million bucks for???

2. If Bush is to blame, why the ________ are Canada's prices so high?? Hmmmmmm??? Answer me that, all you Bush-hating Einsteins!!!!

3. We're holding steady at 115.9 in Victoria.

4. If this keeps up, even if I wanted to stay here I probably won't be able to afford it and back to Alberta I'd go. Already bus passes went up from $60 to $65 for a monthly pass. If this continues for any length of time, and we pretty much all see the writing on the wall for the upcoming summer months, everything else is going to go up too. (rent, gas, electricity, food etc etc etc) _________!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information