Thread: Gas Gas Gas

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    If the price of gas were so high, folks would be getting out of their cars and walking up to the windows like they did when I was a kid before they could just sit in their cars.

I've tried it before it doesn't work, neither does a bike. They will not serve you. But if conditions were that bad......IDK
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Still.......No one has been able to explain to me why the oil companies are making record profits; once again I challenge someone to explain to me, that if they are paying more money for crude, why are they making profit?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    I was just watching the news and they were saying that tomorrow there will be a 14 cent price increase on the parkway.....also they were saying how Corzine wants to have SELF SERVICE pumps in Jersey...
    That's because the gas stations contract with the GSP and Turnpike Authorities only allows them to raise their prices once a week. My guess would be that stations that are permitted to raise their prices once a day had similar increases over the course of a week.

Self service pumps should be available in NJ. But not for any price reason. They should be available because people are able to and want to pump their own gas. It's faster and, very often, more desirable to pump your own gas.

MembersZone Subscriber

My apologies if this link has already been posted.

This site will show the cheapest and the highest priced gas based on a zip code.

cheapest pump price
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Apparently gas went up late yesterday afternoon .... saw 119.9 this morning on the way to work

Also heard on the news this morning that Nova Scotia is going to start regulating gas prices. No time to look for a link though. Maybe later, unless someone else gets to it in the meantime.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    The problem here is that normal market forces have been taken out of play. The fact is that there are only a half-dozen or so major oil companies that are responsible for our fuel supply. The competition that normally provides the checks and balances of a free market no longer exist in the industry. It is Standard Oil all over again. These guys absolutely control the market and manipulate prices from the barrell to the pump.
    The market forces were removed the day OPEC formed. The cartel's sole purpose is to artificially inflate the price of crude oil. The fact that all of the members are unstable nations or unlikable dictatorships compounds market tension, raising prices even higher.

Refinery costs are well-under 1/2 of the cost of gasoline. Crude is roughly $1.78 a gallon. Federal and state taxes average about $0.50, so that leaves about $0.80/gal for refining, transporting, distributing, transporting and retailing gasoline.

Now, the math is slightly skewed because 42 gallons of crude does not become 42 gallons of gasoline, but the basic jist is the same.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Permanently Removed

Straight out of nowwhere....I have to say this....

For the Career Firefighters out there working the 1-2, 3/4 or the 4/6 work schedule- This is a debate at my department because are currently not on the 2/4 aka 48/96 work schedule.

Huh? Yeah, as a paid guy, you are on the road to and from work multiple times a week, burning more fuel and seeing your family less.

Go on the 2 on, 4 off schedule and you commute to work once a week, burning less fuel, saving more money, lessing the road traffic, less wear and tear on your car and smog for everyone to breath.

Easy fix for from the career FF angle.

Thank you.

Forum Member

The price must not be all that bad.

I drive past fast food joints and see bunches of SUV's in the drive thru's idling.

If the cost were really prohibitive, the drive thru's would be empty.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I drive past fast food joints and see bunches of SUV's in the drive thru's idling.

My friend works at a gas station and he tells me people are always adding their two cents about the prices of gas....I think if the prices were so high that drive thru's were empty then the roads as a whole would be empty...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86

I know what you're saying, but you are really giving the everyday person too much credit in the common sense department.

The next time you drive past that joint and see cars lined up around the building, look inside. I bet there's no line at the walkup register.
    I can't tell you how many times I've pulled into a fast food place, went inside, got my food and then left before folks idling in line when I drove up even ordered.

They're in the drive-thru line simply because that's what they've always done.

Forum Member

The government has been keeping a secret about automobiles under wraps for the past 30 years.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Reporter Michelle Meredith teamed up with Consumer Reports to explain why your car probably does not get the mileage advertised.

The Consumer Reports' auto test track in Connecticut looks like it could be a new theme park in Orlando.

And when it comes to testing cars, Consumer Reports leaves no stone unturned, no lug nut loose. And here's the question Consumer Reports set out to answer -- does your car get the gas mileage promised on the showroom sticker.

It's the mileage you probably used to decide if the car fit your monthly budget.

First, Meredith took a look at how carmakers come up with these numbers because you could be in for a big surprise. The guidelines for the tests were set by the federal government decades ago, in the late 1970s. Gerald Ford was president and disco was king.

And under these guidelines by the
    Environmental Protection Agency, carmakers are allowed to test miles per gallon by running the vehicle not on the road, but on what's essentially a treadmill for cars.

During an EPA spot check, the car ran with no air conditioning, no inclines or hills, no wind resistance and at speeds no greater than 60 mph.

There's hardly anything real world about it, but it gives carmakers what they want -- the highest possible miles per gallon to put on that sticker.

"People are going into showrooms, they're looking at that sticker that says miles per gallon and they're saying, 'Oh it get goods miles per gallon,'" said Consumer Reports' David Champion. "In reality, they're being cheated."

Consumer Reports conducts their test on a track and in the real world.

First, they put them through a simulated city course. Next the highway -- a real highway. For the third test, they take the car out on a 150-mile day trip throughout Connecticut.

All the while, a special miles per gallon meter is ticking away. Their results? Many numbers you see on those stickers are off way off -- one as much as 50 percent.

For example, Chrysler says the four-wheel drive diesel version of the Jeep Liberty gets 22 mpg in the city. Consumer Reports tested it and found it got more like 11 mpg.

Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

Chevy's Trailblazer EXT four-wheel drive is supposed to get 15 mpg in the city. For Consumer Reports, it was 9 mpg.

"It's an unrealistic sales and marketing tool that they are actually using. They are saying you're going to get 35 mpg, and you're really only going to get 21," Champion said.

Why is this allowed? Meredith asked the EPA's director of transportation.

"We cannot have a perfect test," said Margo Oge.

Oge said for so long, nobody really complained. Meanwhile, everything has changed.

"All the cars today have air conditioning, which was not the case in the mid-80s, and we drive at higher speeds because we are allowed to drive a higher speeds. And technology has changed," Oge said.

Carmakers know their number is up. Several have been to Consumer Reports' test track to see how they test real world conditions.

"I think it's desperately time for a change," Champion said.

The EPA has said a change is coming in time for the 2008 models, but is that soon enough? Consumers need real world tests with real world numbers now because with the price of gas constantly climbing, the real world has become a very ugly place.

The EPA said even though the new test will reflect more real-world conditions, there is no perfect test.

For more information and for a list of the most fuel efficient cars and SUVs, check out Consumer Reports' special report A Guide To Stretching Your Fuel Dollars.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Default N.J. just says no to pumping gas

It's a rainy morning at the Thomas A. Edison Service Area on the New Jersey Turnpike. Lines of idling cars and trucks stretch through a Sunoco station. But for Ardis De Los Santos, there's at least one thing to smile about - she doesn't have to pump her own gas.
    ADVERTISEMENT

She used to live in New York, where she had no choice. But a move across the Hudson River to Englewood, N.J., freed her from the hassle. She likes it that way. "It's not my cup of tea," she says of filling her tank. "It's the smell."

In New Jersey, motorists who need to fill 'er up haven't pumped their own gas in 57 years. But in the face of soaring gas prices, Gov. Jon Corzine came up with a novel plan last month to try to ease the pain: allow self-service at some stations along the New Jersey Turnpike and see if prices dip. He believed prices could drop 5 to 7 cents a gallon.

Corzine retreated after about 1,400 e-mails and calls poured in from a mostly outraged public. Concern about other state issues paled in comparison. A proposal to raise the sales tax by one cent, for example, received about 200 responses from the public, says Brendan Gilfillan, a spokesman for the governor.

So Corzine isn't going to push it. "He still thinks it's a worthy idea," Gilfillan says. "But with our budget, property taxes and ethics, there are just a number of things that are a bigger priority."

By now, full-serve is as ingrained in New Jersey's culture as the subway is in neighboring New York - though it seldom includes the oil checks and windshield washing of yesteryear.

Oregon is the only other state to bar self-service stations, and there are no plans for change. "The governor has concluded that there's no evidence that throwing thousands of people out of work would have any effect on gasoline prices," says Lonn Hoklin, spokesman for Gov. Ted Kulongoski. "Oregonians just seem to like the way it is now."

As do many lawmakers, station owners and motorists in New Jersey. Critics of a shift to self-service say pumping their own gas would be especially hard on the elderly, could create a safety hazard as inexperienced motorists try to fill their tanks and cost many station attendants their jobs while doing nothing to lower prices.

Assemblyman Francis Bodine, a Republican, says that after stopping at self-service stations in the South recently, he found that gas in New Jersey was the same price or slightly cheaper. "So I don't see any economic savings to having to pump your own gas," he says. "The flip side of it is ... there'd be some job losses." Besides, he says, "If I'm in a tux going to a black tie (event), I don't want to stop and handle a gas pump."

Bill Dressler, executive director of the New Jersey Gasoline Retailers Association and Allied Trades, says there are safety concerns. While attendants are trained, many motorists would be novices. "It could be put in the wrong container," says Dressler, whose group represents about 2,200 of the state's 3,800 gas stations. There could be "somebody getting out and smoking and they didn't turn the engine off."

Dressler says that prices also would not drop. "The dealers are not making that much money," he says. "What would happen is the self-service price would reflect what's full-service today, and full-service would escalate 10 to 15 cents a gallon."

Not so, says Jim Benton, executive director of the New Jersey Petroleum Council, which represents the state's major energy suppliers.

"New Jersey has the third-lowest motor fuel tax in the nation," he says. "People don't realize that while New Jersey gasoline is typically cheap, it's not because of a full-service requirement, but because of our low motor-fuel tax. There's no reason to suggest that prices would not be in fact even cheaper" at self-service pumps.

One morning this week, the price for regular at the Sunoco Station at the Thomas A. Edison Service Area, was $2.87 a gallon. Even so, Amanda Darian, 18, didn't think it would be worth pumping her own gas, even if it saved her 5 cents a gallon.

"A nickel? Nah," says Darian, a student at Monmouth University in West Long Branch.

Even though she's going to have to work more this summer to pay her gas tab, she says, "I just don't want to get out" of the car. She has been to other states, and when it came time to fill up, "I didn't even know how."

Louis Rivera, 29, an attendant who has worked at the Sunoco station for three years, says self-service could put "a lot of people ... out of jobs."

Others don't get all the fuss. "Even some men don't want to get that smell on their clothes," says Angela Fields, buying gas at a Delta station in Bloomfield, N.J. "But if it's going to save you a quarter, yeah, I'll pump my own gas."
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Over the past month prices have dropped 19 cents.

Last week, gas in Toronto dropped to 67 cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally trickled its way to the Island, just heard on the radio that we're finally back under a buck ... it's 99.9 now. I'm sure reports of even lower prices will start coming in from up Island as the evening goes on, as Victoria is usually the highest.

All I can say is it's about time. Apparently it is because, so far this season, production hasn't been interupted by hurricanes in the States.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I have seen it as low as $2.44 from over 3 a gallon around here in don't you dare pump that gas yourself NJ .
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

I saw it for 2.31 tonight in Raleigh.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

what we got in our area is on one corner two stations are having a price war with who can go lowest. so this one corner set the whole cities prices on the way down. yesterday i filled up at 2.14. bob i love it.
    J

Forum Member

I paid 2.399 yesterday.

Forum Member

$2.19 a gallon right now. sweet
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Its coming down ! 2.07 - 2.15 average for regular in NJ and we still don't pump it ourselves !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    While attendants are trained, many motorists would be novices.
    Am I the only one that laughed really hard at this quote? He keeps using that word.."Trained". I don't think it means what he thinks it means. At least if the gas stations in my area are any indication.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    While attendants are trained, many motorists would be novices
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    Am I the only one that laughed really hard at this quote? He keeps using that word.."Trained". I don't think it means what he thinks it means. At least if the gas stations in my area are any indication.
    Oh my god.. I almost peed my pants because I was laughing so hard!

Fuel pump attendant training:

Look at car.

Determine which side the fuel fill is on.

Drag hose across trunk if the motorist is on the wrong side, scratching the car's paint instead of asking the customer to turn the vehicle around.

Open the fuel fill door.

Remove gas cap.

If attached to the vehicle, allow it to dangle, scratching the car's paint.

If unattached, place cap on vehicle's roof or trunklid, scratching the car's paint.

Put nozzle in fuel fill opening.

Start pump.

If it is a fill up, keep squeezing the handle until the dollar amount is even, so you will not have to make change or fuel is spilling on the side of the car, whichever comes first.

Replace gas cap, scratching the car's paint.

Close fuel filler door.

Collect the money or take the credit card.

Return the credit card, get signature or give change back.

Being a clean car fanatic, I will pump my own fuel to prevent spillage and scratching. I have refueled my vehicle in New Jersey( on the GSP and the NJ turnpike en route to my timeshare in Virginia) , and I insist on opening the fuel fill door, removing the cap and I watch the attendant like a dog eyeing an open box of Liv'r Snaps!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

It was $2.11 when I filled up on Monday.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Over the past month prices have dropped 19 cents.

All I can say is it's about time. Apparently it is because, so far this season, production hasn't been interupted by hurricanes in the States.
    People appearently forgot after Katrina and Rita blew through Cajun Country that a lot of the oil refinery infrastructure was damaged and needed repair if not outright replacement,causing an increase in prices to pay for it.
    Now that it's been the year promised to take for the repairs to be completed,it is also election season and people that look for conspiracies are seeing not a coincidence of timing but collusion between the President and the oil companies.
    If they were trying to make President Bush look good for election season,they'd do better by keeping prices lower than they were for the past year instead of jacking prices up and then lowering them at an advantageous time.

Around here,I've been putting gas in my van's tank at $2.079 a gallon.There's cheaper but I don't like people smelling sulphur around my President.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Being a clean car fanatic, I will pump my own fuel to prevent spillage and scratching. I have refueled my vehicle in New Jersey( on the GSP and the NJ turnpike en route to my timeshare in Virginia) , and I insist on opening the fuel fill door, removing the cap and I watch the attendant like a dog eyeing an open box of Liv'r Snaps!
    That has to go over like a fart in church! I can see you doing that too.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information