makes good girls go bad

Default Operation NOW, a REAL life saver (updated with pics, and video)

This is a program started after a good friend of mine was killed in an MVC. I had the privlage of participating in this today, a brief story for now, more to follow

from: http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...GNEWS/60411015

Exercise at Patrick stresses traffic safety

BY J.D. GALLOP
    FLORIDA TODAY
    ADVERTISEMENT

Folks monitoring police scanners or seeing unusual activity today at Patrick Air Force Base need not worry -- it's a training exercise involving a simulated traffic accident.
    Police, firefighters and medical workers from across Brevard County are at Patrick for the next three days as thousands of local students look on.
    Today, the first three-hour session of Operation NOW began with the simulation of a head-on accident in which a person was thrown from a car.
    Officials said the program was designed to give nearly 4,800 high school seniors realistic depictions of auto accidents and to teach them to avoid making tragic mistakes on the road.
    The event also features presentations from Holmes Regional Medical Center's trauma unit, Melbourne police, Brevard County sheriff's deputies, the Brevard/Seminole State Attorney's Office and the 920th Rescue Wing at Patrick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact J.D. Gallop at 321-242-3668 or jdgallop@flatoday.net
    Last edited by BLSboy; 04-12-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

This was awesome today! The crowd was shocked, and it is so good to know that we are making a difference in theor lives! Finally we can be PROactive, instead of REactive

Story Link
    http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...WS01/604120384

Pictures link
    http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=412006&Ref=PH

Video Link
    http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...VIDEO/60411024

Images shock teens | video

Program tries to promote safer teenage driving

BY JAMES DEAN
    FLORIDA TODAY
    Enlarge this image

Grim lesson. Hundreds of Brevard County high school students watch Tuesday as county emergency personnel re-enact a DUI-induced fatal crash at Patrick Air Force Base. The sometimes graphic images were part of Operation NOW (Not on Our Watch), a program designed to scare students into safer driving habits in advance of proms, graduations and summer vacation. Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY

WEB EXTRAS

Operation Now
    Teen driver's education

ADVERTISEMENT

PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE - An apparently lifeless body sprawled across a car's crumpled hood. A motorcyclist's mangled arm. A young driver led from a fatal accident scene in handcuffs, facing up to 30 years in prison.

These were some of the graphic images about 800 Brevard County high school seniors saw on the first day of Operation NOW (Not on Our Watch), a program designed to scare them into safer driving habits in advance of proms, graduations and the summer.

Rockledge High senior Tiffany Maultsby said she got the message.

"I can see it's real stuff, and they're not just making it up," she said. "I'll make sure I put on my seat belt now."

The three-hour program, which thousands more seniors are expected to see today and Thursday, is a joint effort by the Air Force Reserve's 920th Rescue Wing and at least nine community partners.

Senior Master Sgt. Rene Rubiella, whose daughter, Allie, was one of eight Brevard teens killed in car accidents last year, estimated the event cost more than $100,000, much of it donated time and money during the past 10 months.

In rotating groups, the seniors visited two hangars on the base for presentations, peered into the remains of 10 totaled cars spread across a mall area, and browsed informational booths staffed by volunteers. They learned about the dangers of driving aggressively, without seatbelts, impaired by drugs or alcohol and talking on cell phones.

In one hangar, Kourtney Gabik of Melbourne High covered her mouth when she saw a picture of a girl's skinned arm, which had been hanging outside a car window before it rolled over.

"It was kind of gross," she said. "I kind of lost my appetite a little bit."

Jim Wilson, a training officer with the Melbourne Fire Department, earlier used an electronic pointer to identify the legs and torso of a body charred in another wreck. He told the students it was important to consider their actions' consequences as they prepared for college, families and children of their own.

"We're intentionally walking a fine line between making kids sick and educating them because we want them to understand the possible consequences," he said.

Several students said the pictures, while disturbing, were appropriate to get their attention and make a point.

"I think it opened a lot of eyes," said Nicole Ryder of Melbourne High. "I hope other people took it as serious as I did."

The climax of the program re-enacted the emergency response to a head-on collision at U.S. 1 and Eau Gallie Boulevard. Volunteers played victims ejected from one car -- one killed instantly -- and another cut from the wreckage by firefighters and paramedics, as dispatchers' voices crackled over speakers.

It was an emotional scene for Lisa Pedicini of Eau Gallie High, whose friend William Riehl died in an accident a year ago, a week before Rubiella's daughter. Both had attended Satellite High.

"It just kind of made it reality for me," Pedicini said. "I know a lot of people who do stupid things. So many high school kids don't think anything could happen to them."

In the simulated accident, Ed Figueroa, trauma director at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne, said one of the two injured young people died and the other was paralyzed.

Michelle Jackson, a prosecutor with the Brevard County State Attorney's Office, said the drunk driver who caused the accident faced up to 30 years in prison and numerous penalties and fines, including permanent loss of her right to drive.

Rubiella drew more tears from some students as he described coping with his daughter's death. He told the students to wake up and take responsibility so more lives wouldn't be wasted.

"Now, it's on you," he said. "Not on your watch will this ever happen."

Contact Dean at 242-3617 or jdean@flatoday.net
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information