Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Extreme Make Over: Fire House Edition

I was at out firehouse today and we had recieved an E-Mail from an E-One dealer. ABC's Extreme Make over: Home edition: After the storm. Apparently they did a special on a fire department whos station got leveled. E-One also donated a fire truck to the fire department. I will get an airing date and more information.

MembersZone Subscriber

it will be aired friday, april 14th, 8-7 central. it takes place in sabine pass, texas. It is a Port Aurthur firehouse that was rebuilt, along with a school auditorium. the station is really nice. and the fountain they built in the back yard is pretty cool as well.

Forum Member

I hate that show. I see it as nothing more than exploiting peoples hardships for profit. Appeal to Americas sensitive side and get them to watch and the money comes pouring in. It's feel good tv, and ABC and Sears are making a killing off it. Anybody with ANY brains at all can see right through that show.

Sorry for the negative post.

I happen to like the show and will watch!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Plattsfire2
    I hate that show. I see it as nothing more than exploiting peoples hardships for profit. Appeal to Americas sensitive side and get them to watch and the money comes pouring in. It's feel good tv, and ABC and Sears are making a killing off it. Anybody with ANY brains at all can see right through that show.

Sorry for the negative post.
    So? A family that's down and out gets a whole boatload of free stuff out of it, the station gets good ratings, sears gets advertising... nobody is being hurt so what's the harm?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    So? A family that's down and out gets a whole boatload of free stuff out of it, the station gets good ratings, sears gets advertising... nobody is being hurt so what's the harm?
    Not necessarily. There seems to be a problem with all these low income households now having to pay property tax and much larger utility bills on their new estates. For what it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing people who are enduring hard times get a boost - who doesn't? What I don't like is the fact that ABC and Sears and whoever else are making huge profits off of other peoples misfortunes. To donate under anonymity is one thing, but to gloat and make money off of your self promotion is another.
    The money spent on remodeling these homes is nothing more than pocket lint compared to the huge $$$ brought in by the ratings every Sunday. There is no honor in any of that.

Not necessarily. There seems to be a problem with all these low income households now having to pay property tax and much larger utility bills on their new estates. For what it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing people who are enduring hard times get a boost - who doesn't? What I don't like is the fact that ABC and Sears and whoever else are making huge profits off of other peoples misfortunes. To donate under anonymity is one thing, but to gloat and make money off of your self promotion is another.
    The money spent on remodeling these homes is nothing more than pocket lint compared to the huge $$$ brought in by the ratings every Sunday. There is no honor in any of that.
    How would you prefer they advertise? Perhaps in some way other than by donating a bunch of "free stuff" to a family (or a community, in the case of the upcoming episode)) in need?
    I see no problem with it and I enjoy watching the show...I see enough people down and out when I'm at work. It's a nice change to see someone in need get a mortgage free dream home, even if the motives of the sponsors is to advertise their business.
    There's plenty of trash on TV these days. I'm glad to see decent programming like this show get such high ratings...Maybe there's hope yet!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

now the show i think is good. some volunteers from our dept drove the 100 miles to go assist in re-building and just helping brothers in need. we had a blast, we all met ty, preston, paul, and i cant remember the other guys name. we hung out, talked about fishing, and some of their other projects. really good people.

wehther its on tv or not, they do the right thing by helping folks in need. even if they make a profit from it. help was needed, and help was given.

MembersZone Subscriber

where as before they had to pay a mortgage (or rent) on top of taxes and utilities... it's not like winning the lottery where they can quit their jobs. Now they can live in a nice home (or accessible for a handicap) etc. and in most cases probably reduce their monthly expenses.

There's nothing wrong with getting recognized for doing a good deed imo.

Forum Member

Let me clarify by saying that I have no problem at all with people helping someone in need, obviously, or I wouldn't be a Firefighter and Paramedic. I just have a problem with what I perceive to be their motives.

Let me clarify by saying that I have no problem at all with people helping someone in need, obviously, or I wouldn't be a Firefighter and Paramedic. I just have a problem with what I perceive to be their motives.
    Why? They make no bones about their motives. It is to advertise their products. But they do it in a fashion that provides people, you and I, with entertainment and at the same time they are helping someone in need.

If you perceive their motives to be for financial gain through displaying their products, then your perception is accurate. Where is the problem?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

PlattsFire,
    you have to realize that alot of that profit IS going back into the show. Everything isn't donated and it can become quite expensive to build a house in 7 days. It's not all profit, yes, there is profit, but not as much as people think. Sears and Ty are also doing the "Winds of change" donation program right now. They are advertising to help other people...It's not simply all profit.

All I know is I will be watching that episode in two days because they do it for people who need it!

If I remember correctly, the last episode, Ty (the megaphone guy) could not be there. He sent a personal check of $10k instead. Yup, he's got some terrible motives.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I wish they had shown a ful hour on the firehouse instead of 20 min. The station is awesome though and of course they got the E-ONE because E-ONE rocks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    I wish they had shown a ful hour on the firehouse instead of 20 min. The station is awesome though and of course they got the E-ONE because E-ONE rocks!
    I thought the similar when they did the one at Camp Barnabas near me. We got to burn down the home they made over, but it only showed a couple of minutes of the burn.

I have to say, they did a damn good job on that one. We met several of the crew, and for the most part they were as down to earth as you and I. Paul actually talked with us about getting burned out of his home when he was a kid. Then to top it all off, we got invited to go to have a beer with them after it was said and done.

I'm sure ABC, and even the stars of the show make some nice dough, but from what I've seen of what they did down here, I think it's a helluva thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    If I remember correctly, the last episode, Ty (the megaphone guy) could not be there. He sent a personal check of $10k instead. Yup, he's got some terrible motives.

Uh huh. And he sent the check because he truly cared for the family. I have a feeling your all being duped. I just don't buy it.

But this mainly comes from my general distrust in everything I see on television.
    Last edited by Plattsfire2; 04-15-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    If they really cared about them, they would have donated a PIERCE!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Ya, getting an E-One as a gift is sorta like getting that chessy tie on Father's Day ........ You appreciatte the gesture but ya know what people will think when you finally have to wear it outside.

Come on kids .. buy your dad a Stuphen this year!!!!!!!
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-15-2006 at 11:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

the show last night was a disapointment. they didnt show any of the construction, or any of the workers.
    they are getting an e-one, but the truck on the show was a loaner from, i believe, kansas city. their truck is on order. they may have recieved it by now, the show was filmed early may.

Forum Member

America is a capitalist country. Everything that businesses do comes down to money. If Sears and ABC couldn't make money from helping those people, they wouldnt't be helping. Also, if they were to donate the thouusands of dollars of materials and whatnot every week, that would begin to eat profits... maybe not enough to make a difference, but more than any smart businessperson is willing to do.
    I look at the show this way: Maybe not everyone out there that needs help s getting it, but I think I would rather at least see SOME people getting help than none at all.

On a side note, I do see where some of the lower income families would have problems. The cost of taxes would be much greater than in previous homes. Maybe the utilities wouldn't change all that much due to better energy efficiency now, but I would venture to guess that utlilities cost would rise. Also, they still have to pay whatever mortgage they had previously. Just because that old house is in a landfill somewhere, doesn't make the house mortgage go away.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Thread Information