Forum Member

Default Closing Threads....why??

It really irks me when I get interested in a thread, read it all, form an opinion, then go to reply and for some reason it has been closed.
    How is a debate supposed to be resolved if you just shut it down. Let the subject run it's course, censor it, or edit it if need be, but shutting it down just removes it from sight for a while untill someone who does'nt know, brings it up again.
    Sure, you're going to have the "dead horse patrol" chiming in every other reply, putting in their "dead horse pictures". But I say let the thread burn itself out or it will be back time and time again.

What's your opinion on this matter folks. -sno

p.s. NYSmokey I like your avatar
    IAFF

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by snowball
    It really irks me when I get interested in a thread, read it all, form an opinion, then go to reply and for some reason it has been closed.
    How is a debate supposed to be resolved if you just shut it down. Let the subject run it's course, censor it, or edit it if need be, but shutting it down just removes it from sight for a while untill someone who does'nt know, brings it up again.
    Sure, you're going to have the "dead horse patrol" chiming in every other reply, putting in their "dead horse pictures". But I say let the thread burn itself out or it will be back time and time again.

What's your opinion on this matter folks. -sno

p.s. NYSmokey I like your avatar
    The infamous "Volunteer Real Firefighters" thread is closed. What did we learn from it? In my opinion, a whole lot of nothing. I agree that a controversial thread shouldn't necessarily be shut down. However, when it is nothing but I'm better than you stuff I can do without that.

A brother died yesterday trying to save the life of a person that was trapped. Maybe it's me reading into things but postings on the forums appeared to be low since that announcement. Was it because people were reflecting on this tragedy, busy with work, watching a ball game? I don't know. What I do know is that supporting each other should be one of our top priorities. Who else can understand emergency responders other than fellow emergency responders (this includes PD and EMS)? Just like any family we are going to disagree on things.

P.S. that avatar is from the 3 Stooges movie "False Alarms", which is one of my favorites. Good to watch when you need a laugh.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

It is a stupid topic that has been brought up by people who can't figure out the search function and are oblivious to it's many past discussions. Everytime, it turns into a pile of burning dog crap. There is absolutely nothing useful to come out of them EVER. They don't "run thier course" because some jackass will always have something stupid to say a week or a month after it dies out and the whole thing restarts. If I were the webteam, I would delete the entire thread the moment it was first posted and warn the user to search and not post threads that are known to go nowhere fast (alcohol, blinking lights, & who is a real FF being the two big ones).
    Last edited by nmfire; 04-12-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

and yet the "Thread Killer" thread has almost 2500 posts...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Administrator

Also only one thread was closed and only because at the end, people were just bantering back and forth with absolutely no discussion points whatsoever and some were deleted....one thread closed out of a few hundred in the last few days ... not toooooo big a deal ... oops, make it two now

Thread Information