Forum Member

Question Pump Temperature and Hose Testing

I was looking to get some information on what other departments, who use their apparatus to test hose, are doing to avoid potential heat damage to the pump packing. I know that testing hose off apparatus is a common practice in many departments; and have heard suggestions such as keeping a drain valves open, and crack an unused discharge to keep water flowing through the pump. And others who have said they use appliances, such as gated wyes on the hose, bring the hose up to pressure then, close the appliance, and disengage the pump. To complicate the issue two different representatives, from Hale, have stated that hose should never be tested off their pumps, and our fire shop seems to frown on the idea as well. So with that in mind anyone out there have a good procedure for hose testing (short of a hose tester) that utilizes the apparatus, and minimizes heat build up? Or are we stuck with a dedicated hose tester? You thoughts on this are appreciated.

Forum Member

You can leave a valve cracked on the line being tested to prevent overheating. I would recommend that you purchase a hose testing machine. It is much cheaper than replaicing your pump when it craters.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEKOG
    I was looking to get some information on what other departments, who use their apparatus to test hose, are doing to avoid potential heat damage to the pump packing. I know that testing hose off apparatus is a common practice in many departments; and have heard suggestions such as keeping a drain valves open, and crack an unused discharge to keep water flowing through the pump. And others who have said they use appliances, such as gated wyes on the hose, bring the hose up to pressure then, close the appliance, and disengage the pump. To complicate the issue two different representatives, from Hale, have stated that hose should never be tested off their pumps, and our fire shop seems to frown on the idea as well. So with that in mind anyone out there have a good procedure for hose testing (short of a hose tester) that utilizes the apparatus, and minimizes heat build up? Or are we stuck with a dedicated hose tester? You thoughts on this are appreciated.
    You already have your options identified. What's the question?

If you can't buy a hose tester, follow the precautions given to reduce the possibility of damaging your pump. If you don't want to follow precautions, maybe you'll be lucky. Maybe not.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Forum Member

Pump from tank and crack open the tank fill valve. The water will circulate and doesn't just sit in the pump to get hot.
    Also works well when you're pumping at a fire that is just about knocked down and the only thing water is needed for is hitting the odd hot spot found. Had that happen at a fire where I was set up with no visual of the fire scene. Officers on scene neglected to tell me they weren't using water anymore and I started feeling heat build up in the pump (front mount, very open). Cooled off in seconds by circulating tank water.
    Cheers,
    Gord

Thread Information