Forum Member

Default 24-hour shift affect on family life?

Just curious what your spouse thinks about you working 24 hours?

And how can a single mom work a 24-hour shift?

Do you get more or less time with family on the 24 hr shift schedule?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Better than 40 hours

24 hour shifts may be trouble when dealing with child care if your a single parent. But the time off can't be beat, you only work a third of the year when you figure it all out. And when you take a day off in reality your getting five day's off if you work the 24/48.

Forum Member

There are a few people/agencies who provide you with 24 hour child care, or at least there are in my area. A lot will depend upon the age(s) of your kid(s) and how well they can adapt to your being totally inaccessible for 24, or possibly 48 hours at a time. You too must be able to cope with being away from them and trusting their care to someone else for that length of time.

If you have a family member that can watch them, that may be the best scenario for everyone.

It isn't easy and it requires sacrifices on both sides, but there are a lot of single-parent firefighters that do it.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

The kids are grown and gone - my wife loves it. That's 2 days of meals she doesn't have to worry about per week. Of course, having me around for 5 days in a row can be trying...................

Forum Member

Being a federal firefighter, working 24 on, 24 off isnt too bad a gig for a single guy with no family. The only thing that can be problematic is getting in the way of your social life. You go out on Friday night, wanting to stay out late and woo the ladies, but you have to be at the firehouse at 0700.

24 on, 24 off sucks if you have a wife and child. Its that plain and simple. Every day, you are either coming or going. One day you dont get to see your kids wake up, and the next you dont get to put them to bed. You are ALWAYS scrambling to cover shifts or get time off to attend the myriad of events that comes with raising a child......Then in comes your personal life.....and everything else associated with it......

I dont mind the 24 hr shift, but the US Govt needs to wake up and go to 24/48. But thats not going to happen, it would cost more money.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

24's aren't so bad at least on my end. -- Now I work 12 hour shifts {6a-6p} but there are those times when a part timer bangs off for the night and either me or my partener gets detailed for another 12. -- We can't leave the firehouse unless it's staffed at 6pm. I also work Part time at another station which I mainly do the 6pm to 6am and have scheduled that in conjunction with my fulltime day shift giving me a 24 hour tour {Just not in the same house}

What sucks the most for me doing that is getting home in the morning after working 24 hours with little or no sleep depending on the previous night {Full and Part timers through out my county staff both EMS and Fire, basically handling calls as they come in supplimented with volunteers} So sleep is either there or it's not. I will usually go to sleep after the wife leaves for work and my son goes to school and catch a few z's until about 11 or 12. Now with Summer coming that's going to change.......Can't leave a 6 year old alone while I sleep so we'll see what scheduling changes I come up with.

What works great for me and my wife is child care -- My Sister-in-law is a stay at home mom and my father-in-law works from home so my little one stays with family when we're both at work. We're all usually in the house by 7pm and have dinner when I'm not on a night tour someplace and in bed by 10 if I work the next day {If I stay awake that long after dinner ha ha ha}

I have it pretty sweet and I can only imagine that a single parent on a 24 hour shift does have it tough or the guy on the 24/48 system not seeing his family nearly enough. the 24/72 is ultimatley the best in the fire service if you have the right child care {for those of us that need it}

Forum Member

Unhappy

i totaly agree 24 on 24 off is hard on famil life. plus i work alot on my days off and it is getting pretty rocky at home. we have a 1 year old boy and all i hear is how much im missing being gone all the time and how i never spend time with him on my days off . which is true i have a yard to mow and a garden to till and stuff to fix around the house that she will definatly gripe about if not done. how do i win?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newbomb
    i totaly agree 24 on 24 off is hard on famil life. plus i work alot on my days off and it is getting pretty rocky at home. we have a 1 year old boy and all i hear is how much im missing being gone all the time and how i never spend time with him on my days off . which is true i have a yard to mow and a garden to till and stuff to fix around the house that she will definatly gripe about if not done. how do i win?
    You have to make the time for the family. Been where you are, done that, and managed to stay in love with my wife even after 26 years!

Yard to mow? Get him a toy lawnmowerr and have him follow "daddy" around. He'll have fun thinking he is helping, and you will spend some time with your son and get something accomplished at the same time.

Gardening? When my son was old enough.. I took him "lion hunting" I told him that I would pay him a nickle for every dandelion he would heplp me find on the lawn so I could pull them out.

Project around the house? use the opportunity to connect with your son. Let him "help" by holding a roll of paper towels to pick up any spills, or have him hold the hammer when you don't need it, etc.

Washing the family car? Put him in chage of "hose holding"... sure, you are guaranteed to get wet, but the effort in bonding is worth it!

My "little guy" graduates from college in less than a month!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thumbs up

thanks ,those are all great ideas. when hes walking good ill try them out but right now its hard to do all those things and carry him, especialy mowing 5 acres! my wife and i are having our 5 year anniversery this may and we both managed to get about 7 days off toghether any ideas on where to go? she would realy like to take the baby though.

thanks again captain,
    jeremy

Forum Member

Talking

WARNING! Politically correct wise***** answer ahead..

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCat
    And how can a single mom work a 24-hour shift?
    The same way a single dad does.

In all seriousness, working a 24 hour shift as a single parent is a huge hassle, but it can be done, just like working night tours is difficult but many single parent firefighters (including myself) are able to make it happen.

Nighttime daycare, as someone mentioned, is available, but you will pay for it.

I'm lucky enough to have family where I live who is willing and able to help me during night tours. If we were to go to 24s, I would have to make arrangements for transportation as well as care, but I'm sure it could be done.

How disruptive is it to family life? I can't say for sure, as I've never worked this schedule, but it depends on how much time off in between you get. 24/72, I think would be just fine - it's not really any more time at work than I work now, just clumped together. 24/48 I'm sure is harder, and 24/24 sounds like it would be a huge strain. I don't think that I could make that work and still be a full-time father. Best of luck to those of you who work that shi(f)t.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work to stay away from home. This week I'll work 102 hours(most of it swapping with other people) but I prefer to be at work than home. Then again i still live with mom/dad and another relative.

Forum Member

Dude, Get yourself an apartment
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Dude,get yourself an apartment
    I second that....then you might want to go home!! And you can bring a friend too.

Forum Member

I personally love the 24/48..prior to becoming a career firefighter I worked as a paramedic and we did the same 24/48...that is all I have done for 18 years..
    as above taking vacation and kelly days its actually even less than a 1/3 of the year you work.....plus if married or significant other you also get time to yourself if they work so I love them...

Forum Member

Default 24/48

I love it has been the best. We changed to it several years ago from a 4 10 hour days off 2 days 4 -14 hour nights off 2 schedule and I could not go back If I work My daughter had to go to some on Mon thru Fri because her mother works Mon thru Fri but for an example with our 24/48 schedule and a 7 number system ( I have every Friday off) My daughter has to go to day care a total of 9 days for her entire summer vacation. Talk about a money saver and of course Daddy / Daughter time. She is 8 now and turning in to a real female (attitude wise) but she still loves to help me and do things all summer with me. Her mother gets jealous of the time we get to spend together because she works all week and only sees her on some of the evenings and really only has the weekends to do things with her. It is also great during school most days I get to put her on the bus do my me stuff and get her off the bus. It takes me signing my vacation with the school calendar in hand and picking weekdays for vacation in the summer ( but heck I only work 86 days of the year so I got enough weekends off) It take some time to get used to but you can make it work to your advantage.

Kenneth D McKenzie
    Equipment Operator Paramedic
    Local 1715
    Cumberland Fire Department

Thread Information