Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Red face Husbands at Goodfellow - have a few ?

My husband is starting his classes for 21M at Goodfellow on Thurs. I wondered if someone could answer a couple of questions for us-

1. Can you suggest a few bases in the U.S. and a few over seas that would be good for him to put on his "prefrence" list? I spoke with one guy and he said he though Ft. Lewis would be the best because they have the largest # of FF on base that actually do the FF over DOD... is this right and do you have any other bases to suggest?

2. I read on a post here about have trouble with getting credit for the college credits once he is out of the army. They were talking about skill levels 10, 20, 30 etc.. what is that? He is an E3 now with prior Hazmat work experience.

Any advice or answers would be wonderful! Its so hard to find answers since there are so few army FF.

Thanks again!
    Kristina

MembersZone Subscriber

You may want to put this messgae on the forums at dodfire.com. That site is read by mostly DoD firefighters so you may get more answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess you'd have to say more about what you think would be a good asssignment and personal goals: travel, culture, see new places, the base itself, working environment, type of department, experience you hope to gain, hobbies, off duty activities. etc. I personally preferred Texas and Alaska for the off duty activities, but the panhandle of Florida wasn't bad either. I've never heard anything bad about Germany, England, or Japan. Panama wasn't bad 12 years ago but I think some of that may have changed now. I know Honduras sucks and they tell me Korea sucks as well.

As far as the college credits go, some credits are harder to transfer than others. The University of Maryland has sites on several bases, mostly overseas, and I've never heard of any issues there. It depends on the colleges you're dealing with and what you're going after. I doubt if you'll go wrong getting your core cirriculum stuff out of the way, i. e., English, math, etc.

Skill levels in the USAF are just that and equate to apprentice, journeyman, craftsman, superintendent, and manager.

Forum Member

Default Re:

Our main objective in us finding a good base to go to is that we want him to actually be doing firefighting. I guess because the army has less then 500 FF the chances are high that he may end up doing ordenance so we want to give him the best chance possable to do FF by getting on the base that actual has army personnell doing the FF not DoD. We have two kids so it having a decent community is important as well but the main thing is actually getting to do his job.

Would his chances be higher of doing that if he went overseas?

Of course we know that he will have to go where ever they send him but they want him to make a list of base prefrences and we want to give it our best shot

Any more advice?

Thanks!!
    Kristina

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't say much for the Army...I retired from the USAF. Ft. Hood was my favorite Army base and they seemed to be more progressive compared to other bases at that time (1995)...least fav was Ft. Devens, MA.

Forum Member

Arrow Base Locations...

Well 1st off, I'm prior AF. But I do know that I was deployed with FFs from Ft Lewis. And my wife is from Seattle.

If I were you I'd look into some remote base in Europe.

The only reason I say this, is because while I was deployed to Afghanistan, the poor Army FF were not doing there jobs as FFs. I also had the opportunity to work some activated reservists who were civilians at FT Lewis.

Unfortunately, your husband will not get the training he needs. I personally trained and helped get the guys and gals from Ft Lewis that deployed with us on tanker/tender and drive time with a P-19 (crash fire truck).

We were shocked when we got to the deployed location. The FFs were stuck counting ammo. Some were stuck as a gunner on the CH-47 hellos. Our chief fought to get them to work and train with us. Later when I returned to my home base I ask the Civilians from FT Lewis and they told me that it was typical.

I hope that the civilians were wrong. I hope your husband doesnít become upset when going to a deployed location.

As for Seattle, it is beautiful. But, as a military member it is expensive to have a family even with COLA. Choose wisely.

P.S.

Have your husband get his degree on-line. And when he has finished his 4 yrs, contact me and I help him get a civilian DOD job.

Forum Member

Thank you for all the info. We have been told by several people that the likely hood of him doing ordenance is pretty high. Since we really have no control we just want to be educated on the best choice. I will check out the online degree programs.. good idea. He plans to get his paramedic while still under his contract with the army. He was a EMT before joining.
    Could you email me some contact info. from you and I will put it away for when his contract is up to try and get in contact with you? kristinatucker@hotmail.com
    His dream has always been to be a firefighter and we have turned our life upside down to make this a reality for him. Im so proud of him already! He is doing great at Goodfellow and I know he will be amazing at his job whether its a firefighter or soldier and maybe sometimes.. both!

Thanks again for your help!
    Kristina
    Last edited by Kristmatt; 04-23-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: picture change

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a warning about overseas bases. There are no active duty firefighters on them. They are run with civilians and local nationals. There 21M positions overseas, but they are with ordinance units.

Forum Member

tired- What exactly is ordinance anyway... from what I know its watching a gate, or various other duties that noone really wants to do. I know the army has some that are actually doing FF , I just need to find out where they all are!

I can't help much, but I don't think anybody active-duty Army does fire suppression except during deployments. Everywhere I've been in the last 20 years has had civilian FDs.

Ordnance is stuff -- various kinds of equipment. I'm guessing that the part involving firefighters would be the stuff that blows up.

Skill levels I know. they're based on rank.

1O (I've been told it's actually a letter) -- Private - corporal
    2O -- Sergeant
    3O -- Staff Sergeant
    4O -- Sergeant 1st Class

Here's a couple links:

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=137

https://www.cool.army.mil/21m.htm

https://atiam.train.army.mil/soldier...P5-21M1-SM.HTM

https://atiam.train.army.mil/soldier...1M24-SM-TG.HTM

https://atiam.train.army.mil/soldier...dlservicespage
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Don - thank you for those links.. especially the "cool" site. I will check these out and forward them onto Greg!
    Kristina

hope it helps some. I tossed in the other stuff so you can see what he's doing.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

i am a army ff I know that at ft campbell KY, they work in the ff department, but all i know is that they are sending a lot of guys there, the have tactical ff truck ready for depolyment. At ft polk LA they are in an enigneer unit but work in the fire department and work with the civilians, i understand at ft polk they have a great relationship with the fire department and go to schools with the civilans. the problem with polk is that they already have a full army crew, they to have a tfft for depolyments. The army is not sending any more ff to alaska. I hear ft lewis WA has 21m but they have a very bad relationship with the fire department there, i hear it is not a good situation, they simply train with their tfft no real world experince like at campbell and polk. There are some at ft carson CO but do ordance until they deploy, same with ft sill OK, This is all word of mouth from other 21m's. Also the army lets you think you can pick where you will be going that is not the case, they will send you where they need another 21m. I also forgot that ft drumm NY has 21m and they do ff. Let me tell you this for a fact if you go to europe tell your husband to learn how to count ammo because that is all we do in germany. other posts have 21m and depending on the unit they get assigned to depends on if they fight fires or count ammo. FT hood, ft rucker,and ft leonardwood are good posts to be ff. 21m do depoly and right now any where there is a 21m they are on the hot list to depoly, but that is where you get the best fires.

Just wanted to add something about assignments. As a private, he probably won't have much flexibility. However, there might be some options for the second assignment. Since the MOS is so small, the assignemnts people might be willing to work with you.

IMO overseas might be a good move since there shouldn't be as many training issues as in some other MOSs

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the info. I really, really appreciate it. We may be getting some info. on his assignment in the next week or so! I will keep you all posted!
    Thank you again!
    Kristina

MembersZone Subscriber

Ft carson has active duty on the floor, but they're getting ready to deploy soon and it seems like you've got to be pretty squared away or you go back to counting bullets.( or some such ).
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

Forum Member

Hi Kristina,

My husband did his training at Goodfellow AFB back in 2000 when he was with the Army National Guard. They deployed late 2003 and came back in 2005 and his unit did do fire fighting over there. He recently left the Guard and went active duty. We are stationed at Ft Hood,TX for the time being. He is on his third enlistment and he is being reclassed because apparently the MOS is overstrengthed and they are forcing some of the soldiers on their second enlistment and higher to reclass to another MOS. Supposedly this is a breach of contract but either way he doesn't have the option to stay as a fire fighter. Also my husband found it difficult to move up in rank because the slots weren't there and he saw that you basically top out at an E6 if you're lucky. Hopefully your husband has better luck than mine. Supposedly the unit here is deploying overseas next year as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a couple of buddies at Ft. Wainwright in Alaska that were active duty firefighters. I left in 2005 and believe that they were phasing out the active duty componenet in favor of civilian DOD firefighters.
    If there are still active duty slots, the guys I knew had a great time there. They do get a few structure fires on post. But, most of their firefighting is mutual aid to off post agencies. Fairbanks (even being the second biggest city in Alaska is still pretty small compared those at most other army posts. As such, they just don't have the resources that say Columbus, GA might have. Ft. Wainwright has run mutual aid with them several times. There are also several volunteer fire departments in the area that call for Ft. Wainwright all of the time. My old dept (just one of several off post), probably averaged about 30-40 working fires annually. Ft. Wainwright ran on several of them. Plus, several of the firemen also volunteered off post.
    The area is great if you like a small town environment. I would have stayed there forever if it didn't cost so much to fly down to the lower 48 to visit family. Anyway, I don't even know if they have active duty firefighters there anymore. But, it's worth checking out.

Forum Member

i am in the reserves as a 21m and a career ff for my fulltime job. my buddies that were active went to several bases. ft hood,ft leonard wood and just a few others have active duty ff's. if you want any info on these or contact with these guys i can set you up. if he does get sent to an ordinance unit be patient and get as much schooling out of the way. nremt-p would be the best thing he could do next to a fire science school. his certs will transfer to a degree program. most active duty ff's get there firescience degree on like. i believe pikes peak community college is one of them. you will have to google their name. Another thing you will want to check is wether or not his dod certs will transfer to the state he wants to work in after he gets out. you will have to contact that states fire training division. another good thing to look into is what the civilian dept he wants to work for requires(i.e. their own academy, paramedic license ...etc) Major cities usually give veterans preference. shoot me an email at kevingoodpaintball@yahoo.com. if you have any ?'s. just have him concentrate on the schooling he is recieving right now and worry about everything else as it comes. good luck

Thread Information