Thread: Class A

Forum Member

Default Class A

Traditionally, my post wore a blue button down uniform shirt with badge, name plate, department patch and American flag. Now the advisors want us to wear work shirts to all parades, and they expect us to win trophies? Just because the older guys have real class A's and there isn't enough $$$ to get more shirts is no reason to make us look stupid at any parade. As far as I am concerned, I'm wearing my old class A and will refuse to wear a work shirt to any parade except St. Patrick's Day.

Forum Member

wow,

You must be an experienced guy, for being so strong in your feelings. Whether you are an explorer, or a firefighter you will wear the prescribed uniform of the day. That is why they are called uniforms, so everyone is "uniform." By you refusing to wear the work shirt uniform, it just goes to show how immature you are. How can you be an explorer with a desire to join a fire department as a firefighter if you can not follow a simple uniform policy. With an attitude like yours, you would be suspended from my post until you complied. Is your desire to stay with the regular uniform because you get to wear a cool badge? If you want to become a firefighter, than you should support your leadership, be a leader yourself and wear the uniform that is prescribed. If you disagree with it, than speak to your advisors as a group, if it is truly a money thing, they may allow you to host a fundraiser to purchase the uniform shirts you guys want to wear.

Jon
    FF/EMT
    Explorer Post Advisor

Forum Member

I can only agree with what Jon said, and add one more thing:

Is winning parade trophies really a priority?

Forum Member

You might think that, but a work shirt is NOT a class A uniform. Maybe you have never been to a convention or marched with other explorers. Plus, not all of us have work shirts.

Forum Member

You're an explorer, a junior, a cadet, a perma-probie until your 18. Suck it up and get over it.

You've been given the chance to get your foot in the door, and get your feet wet in what is considered by most to be the number one job that anyone could have. Stop ****ting on the brotherhood, and do your job.

If you ever want to be on the job, as a respected brother, then you need to get over yourself, and just do what you've been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    You're an explorer, a junior, a cadet, a perma-probie until your 18. Suck it up and get over it.

You've been given the chance to get your foot in the door, and get your feet wet in what is considered by most to be the number one job that anyone could have. Stop ****ting on the brotherhood, and do your job.

If you ever want to be on the job, as a respected brother, then you need to get over yourself, and just do what you've been told.
    I second that as well as to what sfd wrote in THIS thread

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvfdexplorer
    Traditionally, my post wore a blue button down uniform shirt with badge, name plate, department patch and American flag. Now the advisors want us to wear work shirts to all parades, and they expect us to win trophies? Just because the older guys have real class A's and there isn't enough $$$ to get more shirts is no reason to make us look stupid at any parade. As far as I am concerned, I'm wearing my old class A and will refuse to wear a work shirt to any parade except St. Patrick's Day.
    The only one who will make you look stupid is YOU!

Suck it up kid! You always have the option to QUIT if the uniform is unacceptable to you!
    And what's the deal with the St. Paddy's Day parade? Why is it okay for you to wear your work shirt in that one? Got something against us Irish?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Well I happen to be Irish and where we march its about 12 degrees out and there is no reviewing stand. If you think I'm stupid, then your entitled to your opinion, but when you see the grand waste of the money we get, you'll see my point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvfdexplorer
    Well I happen to be Irish and where we march its about 12 degrees out and there is no reviewing stand. If you think I'm stupid, then your entitled to your opinion, but when you see the grand waste of the money we get, you'll see my point.
    What I said was "The only one who will make you look stupid is you".

What that means is that it is not the uniform, but the person wearing it that may "look" stupid in the eyes of others. Whining about a uniform, especially for someone who is trying to get a foot in the door of such a noble profession as ours is not what I consider wise.
    It is totally up to you how you choose to look...The public, your Brothers and the people who read this forum could really care less what uniform shirt you wear, but they all do care about what image you present. Professionalism is not defined by clothes, but by the actions and the attitude of the individual. It is how you present yourself and how you represent your organization that determines how others will "see" you.

I never said I thought you were stupid. I just want you to understand that something as trivial as a uniform should not even be in the top 100 of your priorities with regards to your future career.

By the way, if it is 12 degrees outside and you are marching in a parade, you should be wearing a coat...No one will see what uniform your wearing under it anyway.

Kevin
    Last edited by fireman4949; 04-15-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Wow

I agree with everyone I am an explorer advisor and I really feel that there is no respect and I really don't think that many of the explorers know what kind of a chance they have been given. I would die to have been able to have gone on fire calls under the age of 18. Just get over it and who cares what u look like if you are ****ed then just don't go!

Forum Member

Wow, what a thread to come back to after a nice relaxing weekend in the mountains.

Like others have said, wear what the UNIFORM for the Post/Dept./Girl Scout Troop/American Legion Post/Clown School etc....etc....etc.

Why do you think that since the Dept. has money for full blown Class A's you need them too? Our dept has the full regalia with dress jackets, hats, trousers, etc. But they also have money to by Lifepak 12s, this does not mean that our explorer post needs Lifepak 12's as well does it?

While we are fortunate to have dress uniforms, we rarely wear the class A's. Our class A consists of a light blue button down fd uniform shirt with badge, flag, patch, nametag etc. And for only the class A, a black tie. also navy blue slacks and uniform shoes or boots need to be worn. The only time I know of that we will wear these will be at firefighter funerals. Thank god I've never had to go to one. We had one for a former chief a couple months ago but I was out of town. Our Class B is the same uniform minus the tie. This is what we wear in parades, open house, PR stuff, and doing BP at a local church. But our uniform for any occasion is at the discretion of the Head Advisor.

p.s- I'm Irish and an explorer and it gets cold here too!

Jake
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

wvfdexplorer,

I don't think you're stupid. I do however think you are a little misguided. You say you used to wear a certin type of uniform and that it was changed. Did you ever stop to think of why it was changed ? What constitutes a Work Shirt at your company ? does everyone look "uniform" in them ? than what's the problem ? -- A uniform doesn't make the firefighter - it's about the disiplined person wearing that uniform and my friend it sounds to me like you have a little way to go before you deserve to wear one.

I will give you this.....The Class A is about showing your pride and I understand you want to do this but your approach is all wrong. You should wear the uniform assigned to you. Parades, trophies, and all that horse sh** are fun yes but not why we're really here. Wear what you're given with pride you'll feel better.

Forum Member

Damn I wish I had the choice to not wear the uniform on the day in boot camp...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

WVFDEXPLORER,

I'm not a junior, but this post caught my eye. I hope you listen to this.

CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR. It's the first thing you'll learn in your recruit class. There is NO place for it in the fire service. I understand your desire to be professional in your appearance, but it is NOT your decision to make. Your CO stated you will all be wearing work shirts - then work shirts it is. If your budget needs to be somewhere else, he knows that. If my Commander or Chief orders me to wear a yellow Speedo tomorrow, you can damn well bet I will be. I might not like it, and I will likely have a calm discussion with said Officer about it, but at the end of the day, he's in charge, and I'm not. If you can't handle that, this is NOT the place for you.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    If my Commander or Chief orders me to wear a yellow Speedo tomorrow, you can damn well bet I will be.
    What's his phone number? I would love to test that theory out!
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HolleyFF241
    What's his phone number? I would love to test that theory out!
    I think not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    WVFDEXPLORER,

If my Commander or Chief orders me to wear a yellow Speedo tomorrow, you can damn well bet I will be.
    Sad thing is, I have to. NOT FOR THE FD MIND YOU. But I am on my schools swimming and water polo teams. Not the most comfortable things in the world let me tell ya!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

svfdexplorer--Instead of having a fit about not getting to wear your Class A's, how about channeling your displeasure into doing something productive to get the uniforms for everyone else. Maybe there's a fundraiser you can come up with or something. Refusing to wear the assigned uniform isn't going to do you any good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    svfdexplorer--Instead of having a fit about not getting to wear your Class A's, how about channeling your displeasure into doing something productive to get the uniforms for everyone else. Maybe there's a fundraiser you can come up with or something. Refusing to wear the assigned uniform isn't going to do you any good.

Good idea Catch 22 on taking the initiative.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Is winning parade trophies really a priority?
    Parades? Who still wastes time and resources going to parades??

Parades are simply drill time that is being misused.

Forum Member

my post has class A's but not everyone has them either because they are new or because we don't have one that will fit. it consists of a light blue button down dress shirt with the Explorer E on the left sleeve and our Explorer Logo on the right sleeve. Some of the older explorers have name plates but I don't yet even though I've been on for almost 2 years. We also have badges with out number on them though in recent years many have gone missing so not everyone has one. The Officers like myself have our bars on the collar. We have a standard black belt, dark blue dress pants(which are getting replaced) and black shoes. Our work uniform is our dark blue t-shirt with yellow print, jeans and tennis shoes, and our baseball cap (which isn't the style I would choose) and then with both uniforms we have to wear our id tags which have our name, picture, and number

Forum Member

Your new class A's are on order...you will get them in a year or two...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

We pretty much always wear our dress uniform to any event, except when we wear our turnout gear to the winter parade we do (it's like 10F). The only other time we don't wear it is for when we are at regular meetings (workshirt/t-shirt normally) and for when we have committee meetings/post-to-post meetings (polo shirt normally).

As for winning awards...thats not what it should be about. We went to Rossfords Fire Muster for many years and always ended up last or there abouts, yet we still learned a bit and had fun that day, even though our ranking wasnt the greatest. However, I can attest that doing well (we were 2nd last year) has a nice feeling to it, but that shouldn't be all you are concerned with.
    Last edited by KTorak; 05-19-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTorak
    We pretty much always wear our dress uniform to any event, except when we wear our turnout gear to the winter parade we do (it's like 10F). The only other time we don't wear it is for when we are at regular meetings (workshirt/t-shirt normally) and for when we have committee meetings/post-to-post meetings (polo shirt normally).

As for winning awards...thats not what it should be about. We went to Rossfords Fire Muster for many years and always ended up last or there abouts, yet we still learned a bit and had fun that day, even though our ranking wasnt the greatest. However, I can attest that doing well (we were 2nd last year) has a nice feelings to it, but that should be all you are concerned with.
    WE kicked some major ARSE if I do say so myself. The Rossford Team was not too happy when I went to your team and we came in second. That was a fun day.

Forum Member

would you like some cheese with your whine? get the hell over it, first of all the whole purpose of going into a parade is not to win stuff but to make the public aware that yall are there, if they say where a work shirt, then wear your work shirt or dont go. remember that a bunch of FF's may say that they will not go by what a higher authority says, how ever you just remember that they are FF's and it is there *** with ther rank and their experience

Thread Information