Forum Member

Default Job oppertunities in Toronto

Hi,

I'm very interested in becoming a firefighting in the G.T.A (toronto). Recently, I've been told that the job oppertunities are non-exhistant. Is this true? Should I persue this career, or is it a waste of time and money?

thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default it's hard

i have been trying to do the same but all over canada....It takes a lot of money and then if you pass everything your still not offered anything...i am a volunteer with my home town fire dept an would love to be a full time FF but realizing now it probably won't happen....but that is just my personal opinon.And i won't give up trying....

Forum Member

No matter where U go to try to get on you will need to take courses. Being a volunteer alone will not get u a job. You need to start taking course Like Rope, Confined, Hazmat and most important medical first aid and cpr will not cut it. Take college courses. Spend money on the right courses and trust me the job will come Pick upto 5 Departments see what they want and learn about them and apply

MembersZone Subscriber

I wrote the Toronto entrance test in June, 2000 and was interviewed and screened and put on the waiting list for a position in Dec 2000. I reported to the Academy in Aug 2002. It can be a hell of a long wait, as there is always a long list waiting. Now the Gov. has said that you cannot be compelled to retire at 60, so a lot of expected retirements are not happening. We have also introduced the 24 hr shift, so the stress of 4 nights in a row and dealing with traffic in the afternoons is gone, leading to a lot of men staying on longer than they would have.

We seem to be running only 1 course of 40 per year, and the city hasn't even advertised for applicants in almost 3 years, because of the existing list.

Courses are great, but I had none when I applied and was hired on my first try. I did have Military experience, but in the Reserves and I am a College grad in Engineering. You just have to have something to single you out on your resume, and be prepared to present yourself well if it comes to the interview stage.

Toronto is great, but there are lots of great depts in So. Ontario too numerous to mention, so broaden your scope a little, it may be a lot faster.

Good Luck

Mike
    Toronto Fire

Forum Member

I'll get blasted for this, but I have proof. These days, the more education you have the better.
    Get Level One and Two. Not just the IFSTA, but be NFPA compliant as well. Get (as already mentioned) Confined space, First responder, Haz Mat operations, High angle, Class 1A (CDL) drivers licenses, become a certified diver. There are other courses particular to various areas of North America.
    If you have the education, and better, some volly experience, and some extra training taken as an operational volunteer, then you can almost write your ticket anywhere in North America. There will be a high demand VERY soon as 'the boomers' do retire, even if they are staying on a few more extra years on the job. The American west is exploding. Nevada and Arizona are growing fast. The Golden Horseshoe around Lake Ontario is going to be going full tilt soon as well. Mississauga, Guelph etc all hiring in the next few years. Some because of unprecedented growth, others because of retirements, and most because of both reasons combined.
    Western Canada your fancy ? Try Edmonton, Calgary, or Fort McMurray. The private Firefighting agencies are worth a shot as well (IE www.firepower.ca).
    Anyway, There are jobs out there. Period. Even here on the East Coast Fredericton just hired, and is hiring more. Similar story in Halifax (HRM), and Moncton.
    Hope that helps

Pat
    Cross Roads Fire Dept (Stratford)
    PEI FFA Fire School Instructor
    Capt Ops PEI Haz Mat Response Team

Forum Member

Default Get in line....

I know someone who is a firefighter in Toronto and I can say that first off you need the OFM's pre-Fireservice Cert. before you can even write the test for any department, especially Toronto. Seneca College and Durham College teach these. Also, from my own experience with the Fire Department, it all comes down too the interview and what they are screening for, as they have there requirements event though they do not say so. That interview will make or break your career goals....Good Luck

Forum Member

check out www.firehall.com too, lots of info about Canada on there and even a few guys from Toronto
    www.firehall.com - check it out

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahem...Regina is hiring quite a few firefighters now.

These are their requirements:

http://www.regina.ca/content/info_se...cruiting.shtml
    Last edited by ROOKIELZ; 12-21-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Calgary is also hiring right now and Edmonton will be in the new year
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterkid View Post
    Calgary is also hiring right now and Edmonton will be in the new year
    And Vancouver in the fall.................. ................

Forum Member

Windsor is taking applications until September, 2007

Thread Information