Forum Member

Default Breaking News: Midwest Tornadoes

Tornadoes kill at least one in eastern Iowa
    Band of storms crush homes, cars, topple trees

IOWA CITY, Iowa - Severe storms ripped through eastern Iowa on Thursday night, spawning tornadoes that crushed homes and cars and killed one person.

The National Weather Service said the fatality occurred in Muscatine County, where a tornado toppled the victimís mobile home in Nichols. The victimís name was not released.

Twisters, high wind and hail toppled trees and cut off power to thousands across the region. No other injuries were immediately reported.

Residents sifted through debris downtown and in several neighborhoods. ďWeíre in disaster mode,Ē an Iowa City dispatcher said.

At the University of Iowa, which the National Weather Service said was hit by one tornado, students were assessing the damage, including downed trees.

Andrew Loffswold fled his apartment when he heard the howling winds of an oncoming twister grow louder. When he returned, his second-story apartment was in shambles, its roof torn off and its contents turned upside down.

ďIím just trying to salvage anything I can,Ē said Loffswold, a 19-year-old student from Sioux City.

Nine other nearby apartments suffered major damage.

University spokesman Steve Parrott said classes have been canceled for Friday while crews repair the campus and clear debris.

Downtown, severe winds blew cars around, and a roof collapsed at a pedestrian mall, police said.

MidAmerican Energy said about 7,000 homes and businesses in eastern Iowa were without power Friday morning. Crews were working through the night to restore it.

The weather service reported tornadoes in Tama, Linn, Muscatine and Johnson counties, with much of the damage occurring in Iowa City.

Officials were keeping an eye out for more tornadoes in east-central Iowa on Thursday night, Donavon said.

The storms swept through northern Illinois, knocking down trees and power lines and prompting tornado warnings.

At least one tornado was spotted on the ground in Mercer County, the weather service said. Winds of 80 mph were reported in Warren County, where the roofs of two homes were heavily damaged, authorities said. There were no reports of injuries.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Iowa City is about 45 miles north of here...it was an interesting night to say the least. I think it definately could have been worse though...the tornado tracked right through the University of Iowa campus where about 25,000 students live...there have been no fatalities or serious injuries reported there.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

This spring is crazy. Maybe I simply don't remember it but this seems like a lot more than usual for the first month of spring as far as death and destruction goes.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife and I sat in my "computer compound" last night, watching the weather channel, listening to the scanner with our tornado bag at the ready.
    It was quite an outbreak last night and I get anxious, since our new house was built on a slab and we have no basement. The house is brick, so I know it will take quite a blow, but I have always had a basement to go to, since I was a little kid.
    Sitting in my closet with Kim, Chopper and Bucky is not THAT re-assuring.
    If anyone ever saw me sitting there with my Harley helmet on, they would think that I had finally lost it.
    Hey; I don't want a debilitating head injury. OK?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I had to go to Des Moines today and swung through Iowa City on the way home. Against my better judgement, I went downtown. For the most part the streets are passible again, but the traffic signals were knocked down along three major arterials...traffic is a nightmare.

Sounds like we better get ready again tonight, they just paged out a tornado watch in effect until midnight...

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    I had to go to Des Moines today and swung through Iowa City on the way home. Against my better judgement, I went downtown. For the most part the streets are passible again, but the traffic signals were knocked down along three major arterials...traffic is a nightmare.

Sounds like we better get ready again tonight, they just paged out a tornado watch in effect until midnight...
    Good luck and stay safe everyone! Check back in to let us know y'all made it through ok.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Indy and Cinci are getting nailed pretty good right now too.

Forum Member

I had between 1-1/2, and four inch hail at work last evening. Destroyed two lightbars, one windshield and lots of dents.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

We made it through the night last night without much...there were some strong storms to the East of us though...

Here is the storm survey on the April 13th Outbreak from the National Weather Service...

Survey Results from April 13th Storms

Updated at 8:30 pm April 14, 2006

Our thanks to the many local officials, first responders, media, storm spotters, and citizens who assisted with our surveys.

Post-storm damage survey crews from the National Weather Service in the Quad Cities have completed damage surveys for the day. A total of 12 tornadoes touched down across 7 counties in eastern Iowa and west central Illinois.

Here are the specifics:

TORNADO 1: A 49 YEAR OLD WOMAN WAS KILLED IN A MOBILE HOME 3 MILES SOUTH OF NICHOLS IN MUSCATINE IOWA. THE TORNADO WAS DETERMINED TO BE F1 IN STRENGTH...WITH A DAMAGE TRACK OF APPROXIMATELY A QUARTER MILE WIDE. THE TORNADO BEGAN IN JOHNSON COUNTY ABOUT 4 MILES SOUTHEAST OF LONE TREE AND TRACKED EAST INTO MUSCATINE COUNTY.

TORNADO 2: A SEPARATE TORNADO CAUSED DAMAGE IN NICHOLS. THE TORNADO CAUSED UP TO F1 DAMAGE. THE ROOF WAS TAKEN OFF OF THE COMMUNITY CENTER... AND A METAL POLE BARN WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED. THIS DAMAGE PATH BEGINS ABOUT 3 MILES EAST OF LONE TREE IN JOHNSON COUNTY AND TRACKED ALMOST DUE EAST TO NICHOLS.

TORNADO 3: A TORNADO OCCURRED IN MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA...AND MERCER AND ROCK ISLAND COUNTY ILLINOIS. THE SURVEY HAS RATED THIS TORNADO AT F0 IN MUSCATINE COUNTY. THE PATH OF THE TORNADO BEGAN A HALF MILE SOUTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF BURLINGTON STREET AND THE HIGHWAY 61 BYPASS. THE TORNADO CONTINUES EAST PAST THE INTERSECTION OF BUSINESS HIGHWAY 61 AND THE 61 BYPASS.

AFTER THIS POINT THE TORNADO APPEARS TO HAVE CROSSED OVER TO ILLINOIS IN ROCK ISLAND COUNTY...WITH INTERMITTENT F0 DAMAGE CONTINUING TO BUFFALO PRARIE ILLINOIS. THE DAMAGE PATH IS APPROXIMATELY ONE
    EIGHTH OF A MILE WIDE. SPOTTERS REPORTED SEEING THE TORNADO CROSS THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. INTIAL ASSESSMENTS INDICATE A PATH ALONG THE MERCER AND ROCK ISLAND COUNTY BORDER FROM NEAR THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER EASTWARD TO ABOUT 4-5 MILES EAST OF BUFFALO PRAIRIE. MAXIMUM STRENGTH OF THIS TORNADO WAS RATED F1. MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH WAS UP TO ONE-HALF MILE.

TORNADO 4: IN IOWA CITY...JOHNSON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...HIGH F2...ESTIMATED 150 MPH
    * INJURIES...ESTIMATED 30 TREATED AT LOCAL HOSPITALS
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED AT 830 PM
    * PATH WIDTH 0.3 MILES
    * PATH LENGTH 4.5 MILES
    * PATH BEGAN AT INTERSECTION OF 218 AND HIGHWAY 1 AND MOVED NORTHEAST THROUGH DOWNTOWN IOWA CITY. THE PATH ENDED JUST SOUTH INTERSTATE 80 HIGHWAY 1 EXIT.
    * DAMAGE...CONTINUOUS DAMAGE PATH...WITH PARTIAL TO COMPLETE ROOF LOSS AS WELL AS UTILITY...TREE...AND VEHICLE DAMAGE.

TORNADO 5: IN IOWA CITY..JOHNSON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...UNKNOWN
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED AT 830 PM
    * PATH WIDTH 0.1 MILES
    * PATH LENGTH 1.0 MILES
    * SHORT DAMAGE PATH ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF IOWA CITY. CAUSED BY NARROW TORNADO OBSERVED BY PUBLIC.

TORNADO 6: NEAR SHARON CENTER IN JOHNSON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...F1...ESTIMATED 80 MPH
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED ABOUT 820 PM
    * PATH WIDTH 0.2 MILES
    * PATH LENGTH 3.5 MILES
    * PATH BEGAN NEAR INTERSECTION OF SHARON CENTER ROAD/W62 AND 530TH STREET...AND ENDED 1/2 MILE EAST OF INTERSECTION OF F62 AND LACKENDER AVENUE.
    * DAMAGE...CONTINUOUS DAMAGE PATH...WITH TREE DAMAGE AND SOME FARM OUTBUILDINGS DAMAGED.

TORNADO 7: NORTHEAST OF HILLS...JOHNSON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...HIGH F1...ESTIMATED 110 MPH
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED ABOUT 830 PM
    * PATH WIDTH 0.4 MILES
    * PATH LENGTH 5.4 MILES
    * PATH BEGAN NEAR INTERSECTION OF TAFT AVENUE AND 480TH
    STREET...AND MOVED EAST NORTHEAST CROSSING HIGHWAY 6...1 MILE EAST
    OF THE INTERSECTION WITH X14...THE TORNADO THEN CURVED NORTH AND
    ENDED 0.3 MILES NORTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF WHITE OAK AVENUE AND
    400TH STREET.
    * DAMAGE...CONTINUOUS DAMAGE PATH...WITH TREE DAMAGE AND FARM OUTBUILDINGS DAMAGED AND UNROOFED. A MOBILE HOME WAS DESTROYED...AS WELL AS A PORTION OF A ROOF ON A HOME.

TORNADO 8: NEAR OXFORD...JOHNSON COUNTY...IOWA.
    * A TORNADO WAS REPORTED NEAR OXFORD AT 802 PM...BUT A
    DAMAGE PATH COULD NOT BE FOUND.

TORNADO 9: LINN COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...F0...WITH WIND SPEEDS AROUND 70 MPH.
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED AROUND 742 PM
    * PATH LENGTH 1 MILE
    * PATH WIDTH 200 YARDS
    * PATH BEGAN NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF COUNTY HOME ROAD AND NORTH 10TH STREET. THE TORNADO MOVED EAST DOWN COUNTY HOME ROAD.

TORNADO 10: JONES COUNTY...IOWA
    * F1 INTENSITY
    * OCCURRED AROUND 841 PM
    * PATH LENGTH 6 MILES
    * PATH...MAXIMUM WIDTH ONE HALF MILE...AVERAGE WIDTH ONE QUARTER MILE.
    * PATH BEGAN AT THE INTERSECTION OF 102ND STREET AND 215TH AVENUE. THE TORNADO MOVED EAST ACROSS FOREST CHAPEL ROAD...ROUTE 151...AND DOWN LEAD MINE ROAD. IT ENDED AT HIGHWAY 64 APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE EAST OF ANAMOSA.
    * 1 INJURY HAS BEEN REPORTED WITH THIS TORNADO.
    * A MOBILE HOME WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED. AT SEVERAL LOCATIONS GARAGES WERE DESTROYED...WITH SOME DAMAGE TO THE HOMES THEY WERE ATTACHED TO.

TORNADO 11: BENTON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...HIGH F0...ESTIMATED 70 MPH
    * TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED AT 758 PM
    * PATH WIDTH 150 YARDS
    * BRIEF TOUCHDOWN
    * LOCATION...THREE QUARTERS OF A MILE SOUTH OF NEWHALL IOWA ON COUNTY ROUTE W14.
    * DAMAGE...POWER POLES WERE SNAPPED WITH DAMAGE TO A FENCE.

TORNADO 12: ALEXIS ILLINOIS...MERCER COUNTY
    A TORNADO DEVELOPED ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF ALEXIS AND MOVED EAST ACROSS THE NORTHERN PART OF THE TOWN CAUSING DAMAGE NORTH OF FIRST AVENUE. THE TORNADO DISSIPATED ON THE EAST SIDE OF TOWN IN THE AREA CLOSE TO THE ABANDONED RAILROAD TRACKS.

THE SURVEY RATED THE TORNADO A HIGH F1 IN ALEXIS WITH WINDS ESTIMATED AT 100-110 MPH. THE DAMAGE PATH IS 0.8 OF A MILE LONG WITH A WIDTH OF 200 YARDS.

A PARSONAGE ON THE WEST SIDE OF TOWN HAD 3/4 OF THE ROOF TORN OFF WITH THE ROOF BLOWN INTO THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR. ACROSS THE NORTH SIDE OF TOWN...SEVERAL SHEDS WERE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED WITH CONSIDERABLE TREE DAMAGE. ONE HOUSE HAD ITS ROOF COMPLETELY TORN OFF WITH VARYING ROOF DAMAGE TO NUMEROUS HOUSES. ADDITIONALLY...SEVERAL UTILITY POLES WERE SNAPPED IN HALF.

STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE IN BENTON COUNTY...IOWA
    * INTENSITY...ESTIMATED 70 MPH
    * PATH WIDTH...1 MILE
    * DAMAGE...OUTBUILDINGS DESTROYED...TREE AND ROOF DAMAGE...MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE WITH WINDOWS BLOWN OUT.
    * LOCATION...WIND DAMAGE BEGAN 1 MILE SOUTH OF VAN HORNE AT 20TH AVENUE AND CONTINUED EASTWARD TO 1 MILE WEST OF NEWHALL.

FUJITA SCALE
    F0 40-72 MPH
    F1 73-112 MPH
    F2 113-157 MPH
    F3 158-206 MPH
    F4 207-260 MPH
    F5 260-318 MPH

NOTE THAT THESE ARE APPROXIMATE WIND SPEEDS FOR THE DAMAGE CATEGORIES

__________________________________________________ ______________

Click here for aerial video of the damage to downtown Iowa City...

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/2633996.html
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Sounds like we are under the gun again for the rest of the weekend. Especially on Sunday...
    Last edited by medicmaster; 04-15-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Forum Member

We have been extremly lucky so far this year and have seen no outbreaks of severe weather down here in northern Louisiana/eastern Texas. The weather pattern has taken most of the rain and severe storms to our north.

However, this blessing does come at a cost, because it has been so dry this spring (and unusually warm), and we are coming off a drought year on '05 where rainfall was about 20" below normal, we are seeing a significant increase in brush and woods fires. If this pattern continues, we will have a major fire problem this summer.

Forum Member

I am a firefighter with the Iowa City Fire Department. It certainly has been interesting here since the tornado damage occured Thursday night. We had broken vehicle glass in department and personal vehicles. We were extremely lucky that there were no fatalities and so few (and minor in nature) injuries. Mutual Aide was requested from every volunteer department in the county. Iowa City is the only fully paid department in the county, one other department has 2 paid staff officers.

National Guard personnel assisted in town until sometime yesterday (Saturday). The Police are on mandatory 12 hour days for a while, I'm sure they will be getting a little punchy soon if they aren't already.

I was watching the storm coverage on KCRG channel 9 and they announced that all off duty police and fire personnel needed to report to work. Apparently our paging system was down.

We have a fairly decent (although analog) 800 mhz trunkated radio system but it was a little overwhelmed at times.

As mentioned above we are home to the University of Iowa and the downtown area was just full of people walking around and driving around to look at the damage. About 1 am the police and National Guard succeeded in clearing out the downtown area.

I was informed that repair parts for the traffic lights are hard to come by and that will make for some traffic problems for a while yet.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RNite1
    I am a firefighter with the Iowa City Fire Department. It certainly has been interesting here since the tornado damage occured Thursday night. We had broken vehicle glass in department and personal vehicles. We were extremely lucky that there were no fatalities and so few (and minor in nature) injuries. Mutual Aide was requested from every volunteer department in the county. Iowa City is the only fully paid department in the county, one other department has 2 paid staff officers.

National Guard personnel assisted in town until sometime yesterday (Saturday). The Police are on mandatory 12 hour days for a while, I'm sure they will be getting a little punchy soon if they aren't already.

I was watching the storm coverage on KCRG channel 9 and they announced that all off duty police and fire personnel needed to report to work. Apparently our paging system was down.

We have a fairly decent (although analog) 800 mhz trunkated radio system but it was a little overwhelmed at times.

As mentioned above we are home to the University of Iowa and the downtown area was just full of people walking around and driving around to look at the damage. About 1 am the police and National Guard succeeded in clearing out the downtown area.

I was informed that repair parts for the traffic lights are hard to come by and that will make for some traffic problems for a while yet.
    Strong work mitigating this mess! My hat's off to you and your co-workers!

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Thread Information