Thread: Sutphen SL 75

Forum Member

Default Sutphen SL 75

Anyone out here currently using a Sutphen SL 75? What are your likes/dislikes about the truck. Also would like to see a few pictures....

Forum Member

Thumbs up Best 75' Ladder Yet....

I have demo'd the SL75 and I am 100% sold. If you want a 75' ladder, there just is no one else close. The time to set the jacks is incredible fast, 3:1 safety factor, 1000/750 lb tip load dry/wet respectively, I can lay a stokes flat in the fly section. A dept. nearby is looking very hard at buying 2 they were so impressed. NOTHING BETTER.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by efd281
    I have demo'd the SL75 and I am 100% sold. If you want a 75' ladder, there just is no one else close. The time to set the jacks is incredible fast, 3:1 safety factor, 1000/750 lb tip load dry/wet respectively, I can lay a stokes flat in the fly section. A dept. nearby is looking very hard at buying 2 they were so impressed. NOTHING BETTER.
    Do you have any information on the cost of a Sutphen SL 75 ?

Forum Member

Default SL75 Cost

Starting cost for the SL75 is just over $500,000. But, $600,000 with some reasonable options is more realistic.

MembersZone Subscriber

All the benefits that EFD noted, and the 1,500gpm waterway is an added bonus. Seems like a great aerial.

Forum Member

Cool EFD - You a salesman?

Sounds like you know "too much" for the average user.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Uh - Yeah!

L3Truckee-

As admitted in previous posts, Yes - I am the local Sutphen rep. But I am an apparatus lover too.... I work off of a 75' Pierce, I sell a couple versions of the 75' aerials by Sutphen and have been on and flown several brands. One thing for sure, I'm nothing if not honest. IMO - Sutphen pumpers are no better, no worse than most any major label.......I think most build a good solid truck with pros and cons to each. BUT, when it comes to aerial apparatus......I am sold on the Sutphen line. But especially the SL75. I would love to answer any questions that you may have or address any concerns.

Troy

Forum Member

What is the over width of the outrigger spread on the SL 75? I've looked through their website and was unable to come up with it.

Forum Member

What do you think of the new Pierce 75' HD Alum Ladder with a 750lb tip load?

Forum Member

I think the 75' Pierce HAL seems to be a pretty nice truck. The main reason I like the Sutpher SL75 is that the truck it self is only 33' long. The ladder hangs over the back about 5' but this seems to favor our response area a little better. The only bad thing I see about it so far is the price.....I'm sure the price of a similar priced Pierce HAL is about the same though....

Forum Member

Post Hmm

BFDENG51CAPT -

I cannot seem to find the width with the outriggers extended, but I will keep looking. The nice thing about the outriggers on the SL75 is that they are the underslung scissor type. You could pull up close to a car and set the jack under it. Also, they require no leveling - SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!!

NEWJERSEYFFII -

The new Pierce 75' alum. stick is nice but still not an equal. 1000 lb tip load with the Sutphen at a 3:1 safety factor, while the Pierce has a 750 lb tip load at a 2.5:1 safety factor. Which, if rough math suits me, equals 3000 lbs for the Sutphen and 1875 lbs for the Pierce. The Sutphen designers took their 104' stick and shortened each section to make the 75'er. So, no shrinking of the sections widths. A stokes WILL lay flat in the fly section.......I can't say the same for the Pierce.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BFDENG51CAPT
    I think the 75' Pierce HAL seems to be a pretty nice truck. The main reason I like the Sutpher SL75 is that the truck it self is only 33' long. The ladder hangs over the back about 5' but this seems to favor our response area a little better. The only bad thing I see about it so far is the price.....I'm sure the price of a similar priced Pierce HAL is about the same though....
    I have seen two demo/stock Pierce 75' HAL trucks at a local dealer , the Enforcer chassis ladder was selling for $ 480,000 brand new still at the factory. And the Arrow XT chassis ladder demo sold for $ 569,000 with about 6,000 miles on it!...

Forum Member

Default Sl75

It should be said that none of the Sutphen quints on the youngstown site are the SL75. They are the older Box Boom contruction. There is however a 104' climbing ladder that is basically the same rig only longer.

Forum Member

The only disadvantage that I am starting to see is the the SA75 (box type) are often built on much shorter trucks. Some of the specs that I have looked at have a maximum length of 36'. I believe this is due to the turn table being closer to the cab on that particular model. The shortest SL75 that we have looked at was 38' 6".

Forum Member

Post Chassis

The SL75, SP70, SA65 and the SA75 are all built on the exact same chassis. The only difference is customer specs. There is a slight change to the turntable for the SL75 but nothing as far as the chassis. Also, to answer an earlier question ---- the overall width of the jacks extended is 16 feet

Thread Information