MembersZone Subscriber

Default Governor Corzine Orders Flags To Fly At Half-staff To Honor Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Brendan Gilfillan
    PHONE: 609-777-2600

GOVERNOR CORZINE ORDERS FLAGS TO FLY AT HALF-STAFF

TO HONOR FIREFIGHTER KEVIN APUZZIO

TRENTON – In honor of Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio, Governor Jon S. Corzine signed the following Executive Order calling for the United States and New Jersey flags to fly at half-staff on Tuesday, April 18, 2006.

The Executive Order is below:

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 10

WHEREAS, Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and attended Union Catholic High School in Scotch Plains, New Jersey, where he served as a peer leader, led the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program, became an Emergency Medical Technician and at the age of 16 volunteered to serve with the Union Emergency Medical Unit; and

WHEREAS, Firefighter Apuzzio attended the Livingston College of Rutgers University as a criminal justice major, where he joined the Rutgers Emergency Medical Services Department, and also served as a volunteer firefighter with the East Franklin Township Volunteer Fire Company since August 2003, and

WHEREAS, on the morning of April 11, 2006 in the Township of East Franklin in Somerset County, Firefighter Apuzzio, at the age of 21, made the ultimate sacrifice, giving his life while leading a crew of four firefighters into a burning single-family dwelling to rescue an elderly woman who was trapped inside, and

WHEREAS, Kevin Apuzzio’s selfless devotion to public service and the protection of others makes him a hero and a true role model for all New Jerseyans and, therefore, it is appropriate and fitting for the State where he was born and raised to recognize his remarkable commitment to the welfare of others, to mark his untimely passing, to remember his family as they mourn their tragic loss, and to honor his memory;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JON S. CORZINE, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby ORDER and DIRECT:

The flag of the United States of America and the flag of New Jersey shall be flown at half-staff at all State departments, offices, agencies and instrumentalities during appropriate hours on Tuesday, April 18, 2006, in recognition of the life and in mourning of the passing of Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio.

This Order shall take effect immediately.
    GIVEN, under my hand and seal
    this 13th day of April,
    Two Thousand and Six, and of the Independence
    Of the United States, the Two Hundred and Thirtieth.

/s/ Jon S. Corzine

Governor

Attest:

/s/ Edward J. McBride, Jr.

Deputy Chief Counsel to the Governor

###

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
    Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
    Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2006
    Office of the Governor
    PO Box 001
    Trenton, NJ 08625
    609-292-6000

Link http://www.state.nj.us/governor/news...20060413a.html

Forum Member

thanks for the heads up, i'll be taking care of this tonight when i leave the fire house at like 11:30.

Thread Information