MembersZone Subscriber

Again - just as you have choices with regards to rear, side, or top mount pump, the Metz gives you options you may not have with another brand. Is it for everyone? NO. No one is claiming it is.

Yes it will lift a vehicle like a crane. It has other abilities beyond that which some folks find attractive. I seriously doubt anyone has purchased one solely based on the fact that it could lift a rental car in the dome at Indy.

While I don't particularly care for enclosed pump panels, walk-in rescues (at least for my department's needs), brand X chassis, etc. - I do realize that some folks who buy something may have a justification in doing so. They really aren't wrong in doing it...

T.C. - Surely you guys must be nuts because you bought one. How you can you go on living? You'd better turn in your helmet and sign in to the local mental ward.

There are satisfied customers out there that have bought the Metz, so it MUST work for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    One question you should ask yourself is how often do we use the Ladder pipe? Do we really have a need for pre-piped aerial? Can we most times use deck guns on Engines and when we use the Ladder pipe what are we really saving?

I remember reading in what I now believe to be a defunct journal that a department in the West somewhere really looked at the situation and realized they don't need to invest money in pre-piped aerial streams for their fires.

Just a thought, it depends on your buildings though. I know in my current dept and my previous ones...aerial streams are rarely used at fires and it was used when not needed or not critical to saving life or property...basicly you should think if you really can justfiy the money and the added issues when using a Ladder for making the roof with prepiped waterways.

FTM-PTB
    Certainly good points. Truly a department must really evaluate the uses of the truck and what primary functions they believe to be most important based on how they operate. While we take pride in being aggressive, we can't seem to get a big enough jump on some jobs that are well involved on arrival, the prepiped waterway allows for much more accurate master stream operations, and being a one truck dept we'd not give it up. With tightly packed frame dwellings and an old downtown area of attached ordinary construction accurate big water makes a difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Metz

The only thing that I noticed about the Metz that is in service near me, has already been mentioned. There is a sinful amount of wasted space on the truck, ya the boom can go below grade, but you lost 2-3 ft of cabinet space from the rear of the cab to the rear of the truck. That and to get water from the the pump to the platform they have to run a line from a discharge to the turntable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the website for that Metz I was talking about.
    http://www.wilsonborough.org/WBfire.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

As for the low clearance issues with prepiped waterways, check out the ALF Metrostick, very low ride height, they run the pipes up the outside of the aerial (like the old water chief) rather than underneath, this gives you back about 8" of OAH and the benefit of the waterway being protected from parapits etc.
    Some of the reasons NYC doesn't prepipe the aerials (except the tillers which are only partially piped) is to keep the OAH below 130", crushing the waterway on parapit walls and roofs, and there are 62 tower ladder companies, usually at least one of the 3 or more trucks at the job is a TL.
    Specify what works for your department, not what someone else has or the salesman is pushing.

Thread Information