MembersZone Subscriber

Default Low Profile Ladder

Looking for information on companines who build low profile aerials. The kicker is that the overall length has to be short, therefore no midmounts. Any ideas are truly appreciated...

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have the specifics in front of me, but RK will build on a low-pro HME chassis, and can also build a low-pro aerial with reduced height handrails, which still meet NFPA standards.

I'm sure others can do similar, but I don't know. I'd suggest contacting your local Rosenbauer dealer (or your regional builder that uses RK) for more info.
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-14-2006 at 02:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seagrave offers a Lo-Pro model. Given our experience I'd prefer anything built on anything but an HME chassis.

Forum Member

Smeal offers a low profile aerial allowing for a 10' travel height.

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

This one comes in under 10ft & does the job quite well. Low Pro Cab is a bit tight, but when youíve got no other choice it is what it is. Seagrave has built a few similar to the one pictured below for Baltimore City FD. You cannot spec a pre-piped water way and still come in under 10ft. Imop not a big deal, thatís what the TL/LT is for if you possess them in your apparatus fleet.

Contact your local Seagrave Dealer for Specís, Iíve no affiliation.
    http://www.seagrave.com/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tjsnys; 04-14-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Forum Member

Question Questions????

How tall can it be?

What is the maximum length?
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mid-mount stick? Most are easily built under 10' without a pump. You can get pre-piped water. In fact the Sumthin' SL75 in another thread does seem pretty sweet. Most of the biggies will build a mid-mount. Often the length is not a bad as you'd think. The SL75 at 37' ?" is just under the ALF 75' rearmount at 38'!

Forum Member

Default Low-Pro Ladder

Our department just took delivery of a 2006 Seagrave low profile ladder with a 10ft. travel height. I believe it's overall length is 43ft. It's a very nice rig. here's a link to some pics:http://www.emtbravo.lunarpages.com/S.../PelhamL2.html

MembersZone Subscriber

The overall length has to come in under 39 feet. We currently have a 1999 seagrave (rear mount 100 ft stick with a prepiped waterway), but have had nothing but problems with it...serious problems. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks
    Adam C Nichols

Forum Member

Exclamation

Pierce/Oshkosh built low profile trucks several years ago. It fact, a member that was 6 feet tall or taller could stand next to the rig and have their arms rest on the roof!!!

Check with Pierce and see if they still built such a rig.

http://www.piercemfg.com/
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

check out metz. there tower ladders (100 and 110') have fold away buckets...don't know the actual height. sadly, they only (to my knowledge) build on HME. We have MMA on a Mack MR. the ladder is lower than the cab and its about 38.'

MembersZone Subscriber

Metz can be put on a Spartan as well...

If someone really needs photos to prove it, send me a PM.

Forum Member

npfd801, does your department have a Metz? if so can i get a picture? theres nothing like a little bit of europe in america

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have a Metz, let alone any aerial...

I'll post a link to the central Illinois Rosenbauer dealer who has two photos of Metz aerials with Spartan chassis on his site.

Fire Trucks of Illinois

Click the Metz button.

Forum Member

More photos of Metz aerials on the Youngstown Fire Message Board (there are 1000's and 1000's of apparatus photos on this site - virtually any type of apparatus you might be searching for - from hand drawn to modern).

Metz Apparatus Photos on the YFD Message Board

Some Guy

We just had a Metz HME stop by the station. It was 11'11
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't "get" the Metz thing, a dept near me bought one and all I hear about it is that it can lift a car. I have yet to be involved in or even heard of in incident that necessiated lifting a car with a ladder, use a wrecker if you want to lift a car completly in the air, why that would be a concern of the fire department I don't know, usually we only need to lift a car a few inches.

As for the actual question on this thread The split roof low profile aerial chasis that Seagrave makes is a good option, but get it soon as they plan to D/c production of that model very soon due to space constraints involving 2007 emissions systems.

Forum Member

JF,What I get out of that is that if the main section can dangle 4 tons retracted it will probably handle my skinny a** extended.As I've said before on these forums,folks with Metz ladders either love 'em or hate 'em there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjsnys
    You cannot spec a pre-piped water way and still come in under 10ft. Imop not a big deal, thatís what the TL/LT is for if you possess them in your apparatus fleet.

Or you could just do an old school water pipe!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Or you could just do an old school water pipe!
    Yeah, great idea for a new truck, expose members to exploding unknowns in a defensive operation!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    Yeah, great idea for a new truck, expose members to exploding unknowns in a defensive operation!

Wait, what? I am confused. Sorry RFD!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I assumed that an "old school water pipe" would entail stretching a line up the stick and having a FFer control the nozzle from the stick? Or you could use the stupid puppet strings that do not give you the advantage of seeing where you're putting the water? This is one of the few areas I think the technology has improved capability and firefighter safety without much sacrifice. Pre-piped waterways are faster and can be remotely controlled. TL's are best when you can cotrol the stream fromthe relative safety of the bucket vs. the ground. A new aerial is usually quite an investment for a community, its too bad to short change the truck for so many years, when there are options.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    I guess I assumed that an "old school water pipe" would entail stretching a line up the stick and having a FFer control the nozzle from the stick? Or you could use the stupid puppet strings that do not give you the advantage of seeing where you're putting the water? This is one of the few areas I think the technology has improved capability and firefighter safety without much sacrifice. Pre-piped waterways are faster and can be remotely controlled. TL's are best when you can cotrol the stream fromthe relative safety of the bucket vs. the ground. A new aerial is usually quite an investment for a community, its too bad to short change the truck for so many years, when there are options.
    One question you should ask yourself is how often do we use the Ladder pipe? Do we really have a need for pre-piped aerial? Can we most times use deck guns on Engines and when we use the Ladder pipe what are we really saving?

I remember reading in what I now believe to be a defunct journal that a department in the West somewhere really looked at the situation and realized they don't need to invest money in pre-piped aerial streams for their fires.

Just a thought, it depends on your buildings though. I know in my current dept and my previous ones...aerial streams are rarely used at fires and it was used when not needed or not critical to saving life or property...basicly you should think if you really can justfiy the money and the added issues when using a Ladder for making the roof with prepiped waterways.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 05-20-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Some Guy

The Metz was prepiped at the top. They said it was also available completely piped. I wanted to hate the thing so bad... but it was pretty neat. That ladder went up at 4 feet per sec!
    This space for rent

Forum Member

There are many options when it comes to a low profile set up.....it has to do with the both the height of the actual ladder, as well as how they mount the ladder to the chasis, and then the chasis itself.

You can get a 100ft rear mount w/waterway to come in at about 10'2, I know this becuase a town near me was in process of doing so.

With regards to the waterway -v- no waterway; thats a personal choice.

As for the metz arguement I too think the whole "lift up a car" seems like a pretty stupid reason to justify the purchase of such a vehicle.
    I know a department near me just purchased one, and the shift guys are already not happy; small basket, no water under basket, no waterway at basket, and NO STORAGE compared to the 100ft stick this vehicle is replacing.

Thread Information