MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who should assume the Command

When a station becomes a combination station after years of Volunteer rule. Who should be the side that makes policy? And why?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lad63der
    When a station becomes a combination station after years of Volunteer rule. Who should be the side that makes policy? And why?
    Both thru a consensus process
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

to me it depends on the situation, ours has almost 40 volunteers and maybe 10 paid personell. according to our sop's, the volunteers have the power ( to an extent ) at the same time though, even though im a volunteer LT. and been in for 7 years. i dont argue with the paid personell. as most of them have upwards of 20 yrs, and i can learn from them.

i would try to keep both sides equal. sometimes there are little tiffs, about day crew didnt do this, or volunteers didnt do that. but you should all try to work together. even if they are only paid part time, it is now all of yall's fire department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lad63der
    I beleive that question should have been answered before the switch. In my opinion, policy should come from the chief (whether vol. or career).
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    I beleive that question should have been answered before the switch. In my opinion, policy should come from the chief (whether vol. or career).
    I agree. The Chief is the ultimate authority, regardeless of combo or volley status. He may delegate responsibilities to Deputies and Captains as appropriate, but since he is the one to answer to the mayor, council, or district administrator, he is the top of the food chain.

After that, rank is rank, and if you want either one of the career guys or one of the volley guys to have more authority and/or responsibility, give them the rank.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

A few years back we went to the combination department. The name was also changed from Delaware Township Volunteer F. D. to Leavenworth County Fire District 1. That was changed since the city and two townships agreed to consolidate and form one district.

Anyway this is how we do it. The Fire Chief was the first to be hired. He began to write new SOP's and such. We have hired three firefighters that work a 40 hour week. The officers of the department from Assistant Chief to Lieutenant are all still vollies. We out rank the paid guys. We have sent these paid guys to schools like rope rescue, so in the event such a rescue is needed, as an officer you use your best tools so you might make one of them the Operations Officer.

We have attempted to make his operate smoothly. There have been a few bugs getting used to the newness of the system.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I agree. The Chief is the ultimate authority, regardeless of combo or volley status. He may delegate responsibilities to Deputies and Captains as appropriate, but since he is the one to answer to the mayor, council, or district administrator, he is the top of the food chain.

After that, rank is rank, and if you want either one of the career guys or one of the volley guys to have more authority and/or responsibility, give them the rank.

Agree
    Ours being a combination department all operational policies come from the office of the Fire Chief and almost always after meetings with the Chief's staff and line officers.The officer ranks are split among the oncall volunteers and my IAFF firefighters,(Presently my Deputy Chief and Asst. Chief of EMS are IAFF3151 and the Asst. Chief of Operations is a volunteer) I have made my officer appointments based on expierance,abilties,dedication and their leadership abilities. regardless of there employment status.

The SHFD is incorporated and thus has a business side, this is filled with elected officers; President, treasuer, secretary stc. and all firefighters are members, they oversee non operational issues; fundraisers, Firefighters ball, Community Safety Task Force etc. the only operational issues ever discussed in this meeting fall under "Chiefs report"

This works for us, I haven't had to referee a paid vrs volley fight in over two years. There disagreements now are always FF vrs FF.

In my opinon one of the first challenges a combination Chief faces is to maintain ONE TEAM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Thread Information