Forum Member

Question Shift/squad system

Our dept. has been considering implementing a shift/squad system. I was wondering if any other departments already have something in place. We are a paid-on-call dept. with 3 stations. We cover a large rural area. We run EMS, Motor Vehicle Accidents, and all types of fires. Please e-mail me if you have a shift/squad system at your department as I do not get a chance to check this forum often. Trailfreek@msn.com .....Please help

Forum Member

Default shift/squad system

O.k. im at a vol. dept. were not paid-per-call but we have 3 stations with 70 square miles.we have adopted a shift system. its like the paid dept. 24 on and 48 off. but its only 4hrs minimum a shift.you can stay longer if you wish. we have A,B, and c shift's. you come in and clean the station check the apparatus etc. were still gettin started but so far its working. its a really good system. mon. might be a shift, then tues. b shift, then wen, c shift.hope you find this useful.

Forum Member

I just joined the local FD and im in the rescue company (im an EMT) and they do it like this for EMS, now this isnt 100% accurate i forgot some, but it gives you an idea:

Everyday from 12am-6am we have SQUAD which is when the volunteers in RESCUE company are responsible for the calls.
    Monday-Thursday from 6pm-12am one of the 4 other companies are responsible for FIRST hits, SECOND hits are the rescue companys responsibility
    Weekends are RESCUE company
    Monday-Friday from 6am-6pm we have paid EMT's who act as janitors also and clean the fire houses.

So thats kinda how we do it for EMS, it works out nicely. Some of the RESCUE emt's (such as myself) respond during the 6pm-12am calls as well to lend an extra hand.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Default Shift/Squad System

We have developed a powerpoint presentation of the system we are thinking of implementing. If I sent it to you; would you review it and send back your thoughts? Shoot me an e-mail so I can send it back as an attachment. trailfreek@msn.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a duty crew program where everyone is assigned to a night of the week. The duty crew is responsible for all calls from 6pm to 6am when the paid crew comes in. Each crew is also responsible for running a drill during their shift. We've found that the system works very well for several reasons:
    Quicker response time,
    Guaranteed staffing,
    Better team work,
    Spread the work/Avoid burnout (if I'm on Monday, I can relax Tu-F)
    More Training,
    Get out of the house and hang with "the guys" for a night
    Right now we only have weeknight duty crews, but are starting to open them up for the weekend. We've had shift signups on weekends for a while, but now we're starting to get crews in the station. It's just harder to get commitment. Most guys will dedicate a weeknight. It's harder to find some that can dedicate days/nights on the weekend. We're getting there, though.

Good luck with your program. I have nothing but praise for ours.

Forum Member

Here we have 2 guys man a Medic Unit 7 days a week from 0800-1600. We are a POC dept. The chief is the only full time position during the day and is a paramedic so the two guys on the Medic do not have to be EMT-P. The Chief or Asst. Chief(EMT-P) are almost always around to run calls during the day.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    We have a duty crew program where everyone is assigned to a night of the week. The duty crew is responsible for all calls from 6pm to 6am when the paid crew comes in. Each crew is also responsible for running a drill during their shift. We've found that the system works very well for several reasons:
    Quicker response time,
    Guaranteed staffing,
    Better team work,
    Spread the work/Avoid burnout (if I'm on Monday, I can relax Tu-F)
    More Training,
    Get out of the house and hang with "the guys" for a night
    Right now we only have weeknight duty crews, but are starting to open them up for the weekend. We've had shift signups on weekends for a while, but now we're starting to get crews in the station. It's just harder to get commitment. Most guys will dedicate a weeknight. It's harder to find some that can dedicate days/nights on the weekend. We're getting there, though.

Good luck with your program. I have nothing but praise for ours.

Sounds great, what you guys have. Just a couple of questions. How many ppl are "on duty" on any given day of the week, like your shift on monday's?
    Are personnel required to pull a shift? Are FF's paid to be at the station during their shift?

Thanks for your reply.

Forum Member

by the sounds of it they arnt paid. staffing:: enough to staff roughly 2 apperattus. also there were 4 duty cre nights .and i Fire Fighters arnt required to pull shifts.

disclaimer this knowledge is from my past fd.

Forum Member

Are you looking to staff the stations at all times, or simply a shift system were certain people are on call at specific times?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skcfa1523
    How many ppl are "on duty" on any given day of the week, like your shift on monday's?
    Are personnel required to pull a shift? Are FF's paid to be at the station during their shift?
    Sorry for the delayed response.
    We require a minimum of a driver, officer, and 2 firefighters to staff the first-out piece during the duty crew. It is assumed that for bigger calls home-response will get the 2nd and 3rd piece out of the station. Most nights go beyond the minimum staffing and have between 6 and 10 firefighters plus Junior/probationary members.

Our SOG's state that all personnel are required to run at least 2 duty crew shifts a month, though most people do at least 4 (1/week).

We are not paid to be at the station, but we do get a clothing allowance and LOSAP credit for each call and drill we participate in.

Forum Member

We're a paid on call department and just went from 2 platoons to 3 platoons because we've got some good/new people. Each platoon has 7 people (2 officers and 5 ff). The way our system works is the platoon is scheduled for the week. 1,2,3,1,2,3 Sunday thru Thursday in the evening/night for medicals. If it's a fire, MVA or mutal aid we all show up. Friday and Saturdays are all calls. This way we get good coverage at night because you only have to show 1 week out of 3 so your sleep is better and it keeps our payroll in budget because you don't have 9+ people show up for a run that only needs 4.

Thread Information