Forum Member

Default A Tiller with a Pump?

I saw in the recent issue of Fire Apparatus a Tiller made for San Bernadito FD, that had a pump and tank. Anyone know how these pumps get thier power? Is it from a seperate motor? and are they full sized pumps? like 1500gpm+?

Thanks

Forum Member

The tank and pump are located on the tractor, so they function just as a normal midship pumper would. All that I've seen have a full size pump (1,500 gpm+) and the typical quint tank capacity of 300gal. I've only seen one in person, so someone else might have more details.

Forum Member

Send a PM to CalFFBou....He can probably get you some details.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

LA County has one,Truck 33 as mentioned above the pump works the same as a Engine. They just have a little less water.

Forum Member

Ok thanks. So if the pump is on the tractor, then there is no preplumed discharge from the pump to the ladder? I assume you have to connect a hose from the pump pannel to the tiller.

Forum Member

Yes it does have a pipe, they make swivels for the stick, right? Why not for the 5th wheel?

______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

I would suspect that if one wanted a pre-piped, pre-plumbed master stream on the aerial it should be possible. With the articulation and also the fact that the trailer will pivot forward and back on the kingpin/firth wheel connection (imagine a tractor trailer in a sunken loading dock), a high pressure flexible hose (similar to what they use in a lot of pump houses now) could do the trick. I've never looked that close at the few tiller quints I've seen, anyone know for sure?

Forum Member

I have not seen them pre-piped ..............just that they have LDH intakes at the base of the ladder.............the first one I saw was from Encino Ca ? ........now I cant remember............dang it !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default can't remember

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    I have not seen them pre-piped ..............just that they have LDH intakes at the base of the ladder.............the first one I saw was from Encino Ca ? ........now I cant remember............dang it !
    Was it Chino Valley, CA? They have an ALF TDA with a 1250 fire pump, and a water tank.
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

Forum Member

this isnt the one but it shows the intake !
    Last edited by Weruj1; 10-30-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

I've seen a bunch lately with pumps and tanks and a few with tanks larger than 300 gal (i think, I have to double check). I had never seen one with tandem axles on the tractor until recently. I've now seen 4 or 5. Here is a pic of one, however this one only has a 150 gal tank so I'm not sure the reasons for the tandems, but I don't really have much info on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

That intake could also be the aux feed for the pipe. A preconnection would be buried under the hitch and not visible. If anyone can find a picture of the pump panel look to see if there is a valve dedicated to the stick.
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RetJaxFF
    Was it Chino Valley, CA? They have an ALF TDA with a 1250 fire pump, and a water tank.
    you sir are correct.............lemee see if I can find a pic, nice work !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Ladder 27, That is one HECK of a truck!! That thing is a monster. Is it from your dept?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CpaceEng1
    LA County has one,Truck 33 as mentioned above the pump works the same as a Engine. They just have a little less water.

LA County as well as several other fire departments out here in southern california run tiller quints

Forum Member

Detroit has traditionally run booster reels on their aerials. The last two batches of tillers from ALF and Pierce had dual boosters, pump, and tank on the tractor.

MembersZone Subscriber

LACoFD has more than one, quite a few actually. Some are 75' and some are 100' from what I recall and they are ordering more. Not being critical, just a thought. And from what I recall about them, the visible intake is simply an option should the aerial need to be supplied by a seperate pumper. I have seen alot of rearmount quints that have this also, I know both of ours in my Volunteer Department have this ability.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Raleigh NC Truck 1
    2004 Pierce
    1500 GPM - 300 Tank - 100' Aerial
    #15443 Model: Arrow XT Photo of the entire rig at this link!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder27
    I've seen a bunch lately with pumps and tanks and a few with tanks larger than 300 gal (i think, I have to double check). I had never seen one with tandem axles on the tractor until recently. I've now seen 4 or 5. Here is a pic of one, however this one only has a 150 gal tank so I'm not sure the reasons for the tandems, but I don't really have much info on this one.
    This particular rig was going to Utah, if I remember correctly. They were putting the finishing touches on it when I was in Appleton last time.

Charlottesville, VA has a tandem axle tiller (ALF), and their reason was for increased stopping power on a lot of the hills in the city.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder27
    I think the main reason for the tandem axles is for increased braking capacity.
    The only real training for leadership is leadership.

Forum Member

That Pierce tiller with the three axle tractor that was posted is going to Eugene, OR. They already have an early 90's Pierce/Smeal tiller with a three axle tractor.

Thread Information