MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Metro Detroit Firefighter Schools?

I was wondering if any Detroit Firefighters new what school would be best to attend...Macomb, Oakland U, Wayne, etc. Also What the Detroit Departments are looking for in their recruit candidates as far as qualifications,training, and what route would be best to move up in their organization. School then training, or vice-versus? Please comment if you have any info that might help guide. Thanks

Forum Member

I'm in Macomb County. Prerequisite to APPLY out here is FF II and Paramedic license.
    Good news-less than 100 applicants to test against.
    Bad news-you have to spend 2 years and about $8000 to apply for a job you may never get.

This website will show you full time depts taking apps and their requirements.

http://www.mpffu.org/zone=/unionacti...=Job20Openings

Forget about Detroit City. They have already laid off enough men to take 5 years to call back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Metro Det. Fire

Thank you for the info. Yea, that is bull**** that guys are getting laid off while the fires are just as adamant and just as worse as ever. If you have any good dept. suggestions around metro. Det or Even Chicago area that would be helpful. I would like to know. Hope to see ya soon around the macomb facility or maybe Oaklands. I think theres looks pretty nice also, but Macombs facility looks real nice. Good Luck With everything, be safe. Thanks

Forum Member

I went to Macomb's Fire Academy, and teach there on rare occasions. I also took my medic through their paramedic academy. Oakland has recently been putting together a state of the art facility, as has Wayne county. Any of them would work.

As far as depts, watch that website. Check the newspapers classifieds as well. The best place to watch is the Michigan Chronicle, it's a minority owned and oriented publication that the local gov'ts almost always advertise in to meet diversity concerns. The depts most likely to hire are the ones on the edges of the burbs that are transitioning from paid on call to full time, like Chesterfield Twp.

Forum Member

Paramedic is a must nowadays. Even depts transitioning to Paid from POC/ Volunteer are going ALS at the same time. Heck NW Oakland county has several ALS POC depts. Basic is pretty much only good for Private ambulances and POC. This is not a personal view as I run BLS at my full time job, but what I see from the departments and their contracts with private transports too. Other long timers in here will concurr I'm sure. 10 years ago there were at least 15-20 cities that had BLS contracts and only a few forward cities had ALS transporting fire depts. Now I don't know of any city in the metro area that doesn't have ALS in some way shape or form.

Good luck.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Fire Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by barrettr
    the fires are just as adamant and just as worse as ever.
    And you base this statement on what?
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Thread Information