MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prince Georges County MD

The written test is next tuesday, does anyone have an idea when and how many they are expecting to hire?

Forum Member

God bless ya brother!!!! After seeing the way some of the idiots act down there i'm happy I turned down a job with PG county some years back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have an idea on how physical or "tough" the academy is?

MembersZone Subscriber

The academy focuses mainly on boxing, every other day they do some wrestling and here and there karate is thrown in the mix.

Forum Member

I suppose for anyone, but specifically for mike:

Hiring 2 classes a year (May/October) over the next 2 1/2 to 3 years.
    So, the next class is scheduled to start sometime in October.

When did you take your psych?
    Just curious since I too took the written in April, and went for the background in May. Still hopeful I'll get a call, just wondering.

MembersZone Subscriber

I went for the psych on the 27th, the psych Dr. said that they had only been doing them for a week. It took about 2 weeks until I got the call for it after the background. I also heard that they might start the first class in September instead of October if they get the paper work straight in time. I wonder why they are having so many academy classes? Are they increasing staffing or putting more people on the 24/72 shift instead of the day work?
    Also, if you were wondering retirement is 20yrs @ 50%

Forum Member

Several retirements coming up,
    many more ambulances popping up with dedicated or career staffing,
    also heard there was a freeze on development (residential, mainly) until more fire protection could be provided.

Are you currently a volunteer ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I dont want to spend my entire career on the ambo but if it gets us in the door. Yes, Im currently a lieutenant at my volunteer station. Ive been a member for the past 6 years. Have you heard wether or not we would be placed on shift or day work?

Forum Member

First, my apologies, my email is still acting up and I realize that would probably be a more efficient way of communicating. Maybe doing this way will help others with their questions...

Shift/Day work is on an as needed basis; wherever spots are open, thats where you will go. I have heard, however, that in the past the top few of the class (I've heard top 3 and top 5) get put on shiftwork -- everyone else on daywork.

Are you at Co 5 in PG? Capitol Heights? or Dunkirk in Calvert? or Waugh Chapel in AA? (Don't have to share if it hasn't been shared for a reason, just wondering). Volunteering in PG for X number of years (I think 3 or 5 years), helps you out I hear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man, if the opportunity comes I hope to heck that I get on shift work. I really dont want to do day work, but its not like you really have a choice. IM sure in the future there will be more shift work positions as the number of vols drop (I dont want to get into that vol VS. Career issue) No, I dont vol. in PG, Im farther south.

Forum Member

hey mike, just sent you an email earlier regarding that blue book. not sure if you received it. i can resend if need be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know if we have to quit volunteering if we get on with PG? I heard if you vol. in PG, then you have to quit there, but it doesnt apply for any other county.

Forum Member

This gets into some of that resolution 43 stuff/two-hatting and whatnot.

You are correct, (its been said) you "can't" volunteer/career in the same county -- some federal labor law has been quoted as the reason. But there are many people who are career in PG and volunteer in calvert, charles, and aa counties (I know several). But I guess what you need to be careful about is: 1) getting hurt at your volunteer place, 2) coming into conflict with someone of influence when you are running mutual aid to PG, etc etc.

So bottom line is, I highly doubt (although I can't say I know 100%) you need to "quit" volunteering at your volunteer house; I'd just be careful how much I went around right before/during the academy and during your probationary period.

Any further developments on dates for continuing the process?
    Did you receive my email?

Forum Member

Well to start.... There is to be 2 classes of 80, October 2006 and May 2007. I have also been told that they have talked about a third class off of the recent written. Last may they gave out blue books... 2 times a week of 25 people for that month. So there was a possibility of 200 blue books given out... i doubt that many were distributed. I turned in all my stuff including the book on june 20th, took my psych the next day on the 21st. My investigator called me yesterday and told me he was finishing up this week with calling my references and interviews.

After your investigator is finished he/she will send the info to the FD and they will decide if they want you or not. They in turn will notify the investigator of their intentions and he/she will call you. If they want you, you will take the medical exam. This consists of **** test, blood work, lung capacity, vision, hearing, physical exam including finger up the butt, and the treadmill of 12 mins to check your heart.
    After you pass the medical, they will call you to give you a start date. The academy should be tough...i wouldnt think it to be any less. Just make sure to show up on time, be prepared, do what your told, and keep your mouth closed. I believe the academy is 4 months WITHOUT EMT. Do you guys have your emt?

I have also been told that there is about 200 possible retirements coming up. They also want to increase staffing at a few stations and want to increase staffing on the apparatus.

Dont worry about what shifts you will be assigned to. Get real, you just need to worry about being selected to attend an academy and get through it. Theres really no way you would know where your going and on what shift until they tell you after the academy. Then you will bounce around to get your rookie book done that year.....time on an engine, truck/rescue. If you mess up in the academy and become a target, you will get assigned to somewhere you dont want to go. The last few classes, the majority of rookies were sent to shift work. I also know a few guys who have been on the job for 5 years or so and are on daywork.

For the most part, ive only seen/know pg vollies that are going through most of the process right now. They will most likely take priority in getting into the academy due to having their county id numbers and being familiar with how the county operates. Good luck
    Last edited by PGPipeMan; 07-06-2006 at 08:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info pipeman. Yes, I have my EMT. Will they make me go through the EMT training again in the academy? Im not partial either way, just curious. You're right about the shift work, the focus is to just get selected at this point. I did my Psych on the 27th.
    Last edited by mikeco5; 07-06-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Forum Member

No you wont have to go through emt if you already have it.

Have you heard anything further? They called me about 2 weeks ago and said that my background was completed, and was being sent to the fire department.

I heard rumor that there will be a recruit orientation sometime in the month of august. Also the academy is supposed to start on Oct. 18th??

MembersZone Subscriber

No, I havent gotten anything back. Last week they were calling my references but I haven't heard anything since then. Im wondering if I should call and see whats going on. My background is clean so there should be no hold up with that. Even if my background failed, wouldn't they still notify me?

Forum Member

Oh yea thats a good thing that they called your references. They called me about a week after calling my references and told me that my background was complete.

So you should be hearing something soon. They then send your background packet to the fire department. After that the fire department will contact investigations and they will call you to go for your medical.

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke with public investigations today and they said that my information was forwarded to the fire dept. for review. I guess its up to them to decide if they want me.

Are you sure that the medical is the next part? My buddy is about a week ahead of me in the process and after they called his references, they set up a date for him to do an oral interview with the officers of the department. I guess the medical is after that, is the oral interview a typical part of the process or is it something specific to him?
    Last edited by mikeco5; 07-31-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

From what i was told, the oral interview wasnt included. They told me the next step after fire department review, was the medical. But who knows, it seems like each investigator was doing something different than the other.

keep me posted

thanks

Forum Member

The academy actually starts Oct. 2nd.

Forum Member

While for some people it is different, the next step is GENERALLY the medical, with the oral boards being the last part.

Pipeman, what station are you from (or what battalion)?

MembersZone Subscriber

My buddy just got called for the medical yesterday. He said that they called him for the oral interview before they called and told him the background check had passed and was sent to the fire dept.

Forum Member

Yea, i just got a call today for an oral interview for wed. august 9th.

The medical should be after the interview, and then finally the physical agility.

Barman:
    I was at 9 now at 55 for the time being....

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my call for oral interview on Aug.17th

Thread Information