Forum Member

Default I got injured at a call.

Today we had a brush fire and I was the driver and pump operator for our tanker pumper. The bruch fire was a small fire off the side of a 4 lane highway that runs through our town. When I pulled up on scene the IC was just pulling up also. Te first thing I asked was for him to have somebody cone the road to protect me from traffic. Needless to say I went on to star getting the hose line off the truck due to lack of manpower. Then I went around the truck to get ready to put the pump into gear and I noticed that the road had not been coned off. Then the IC called on the radio and asked me to charge the hose line. I had to get into the truck to answer him. When I stepped back to exit the truck I slipped on the step and fell on my back into the highway. I looked to my right to see a car approaching(this is a 55mph rd.)Knowing I was in pain and may have had a back injury I still rolled out of the way and next to the truck. I had to have a bystander go get me help. Needless to say I only bruised my tailbone. My question is we only have diamond plate steps...should there be some other type of tred on these steps to help prevent us from slipping?????
    Yes our sop is if you are the driver and pump operator that you have on a minimal of your bunker pants and boots. I stopped by the station today to try to look at the truck and see if there might be somthing that would make the steps safer. I did notice that both the steps are even as far as size and how close they are to the truck. After looking I also noticed that you can only fit about 1/4 of your booted foot on them at a time. I am thinking maybe some size improvement might help a lil bit. I also noticed that on our other trucks the diamond plate has these steal inserts in them with a very agressive tred. May be another option. My goal is to be sure that this does not happend to anyone else as I was lucky to not break any bones or suffer any major injuries. As far as documentaton goes I did go to the ER via ambulance after the incident and I have already been contacted by workers comp. I greatly appreciate any other suggestions. Here is a pic of the tanker I am speaking of, it is the tanker pumper 317. http://cnyfiretrucks.com/st/sauquoit.html

Yes this is also in the vollie forums...I just wasnt getting much feedback there. Sorry for the repost.
    Stay Safe and live long

Permanently Removed

After just briefly scanning over your long posting, I have 3 words for you- Document, document, document.

Looks like you can write. Jot down ALL information- Date, times, locations, dispaych information, who, what, where, why and when. And make copies. A couple for you, one for your lawyer, the other for WC, another for your FD, etc.

And dont forget to "spell check" and save to disk.

It comes down to three letters- C.Y.A.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-19-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Do you think I should get a lawyer? To be honest the thaught never even crossed my mind.
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

get a lawyer for what?
    that top step is short but it sounds like you miss judged that bottom step. Was it raining or anything that day? you might also be able to put some kinda grip tape at the edge of each step.

Forum Member

Nope it was not raining. The lawyer thing is from calffbou, H e mentioned it so I asked. OH yeah my foot slipped off the to step that is what the bystander told the other guys that where there I guess. At least that is what I am hearing.Iam not sure if he meant the step or the edge of the door.
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

A: Document
    B: Document
    C: Place grip tape on the steps
    D: Document

Treadplate sucks for grip..no matter the time of season or weather...it sucks. Grip tape will help that.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

grip tape would help to fix your problem with the steps.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

MembersZone Subscriber

Besides the above, and I fully agree Document the injury, You should always attempt to angle your rig so the panel is not in a traffic lane. *** out and nose to the shoulder.

Forum Member

>I see a hand rail in the picture that could be used next time for stability.
    >Grip tape on the steps would also help.
    >Be more careful with footing next time.
    >Warn others that that step is a doozie.

hope your tailbone feels better soon!

Forum Member

The hand rail you see in this photo is not positioned for getting in and out of the truck it is angled to the rear. It is more set up for those loading and unloading hose. It is very difficult to hang onto since it is all chrome no rubber on it at all. I can not say for sure if I had my hand on it or not but I dont think I would have tried to climb out of the beast without it.
    Stay Safe and live long

Thread Information