MembersZone Subscriber

Question Looking for some input

I am looking for anyone that has sleep apnea nad what kinda treatment you use or have used. I am currently on a CPAP at night but am thinking of doing the surgery....SOme insight would be great if you have had the surgery....So if this is the wrong area for this....
    Jonesy
    Fail to plan. Plan to fail.

FL EMT-B
    FL State Firefighter
    Pro Board Firefighter
    Career Firefighter
    Local 2103

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally haven't had surgeory or anything done, but one of my guys recently did. Something to do with removing a bunch of tissue in the back of his mouth to help his breathing, etc.

He was actually getting to the point his blood pressure was alarmingly high and was having some other health issues. Since then (he also reduced a lot of his stress load) he's been a totally different person.

He said it was well worth it, but I'd talk with your doc and family seriously about it.

Forum Member

My wifes step dad had the surgery and it was a total sucsess, and his life is so much better. He used to be a stressed out old bear and now that he is sleeping at night, he is just a old bear.

Forum Member

My dad has sleep apnea and the doctor told him to stop smoking and lose weight, he did this and it helped him out. He doesnt have to wear the mask at nite as much.

Forum Member

I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine with no problems. Two of my friends had operations for sleep apnea, one worked one didn't. They both said the operation was very painful. My doctor told me with my condition the success of the operation would be 50% effective where the CPAP was 95%. Each persons level of sleep apnea and cause is a bit different so go with what your doctor recommends. In my case the CPAP machine has helped tremendously. It is a pain to travel with and another thing for the TSA people to check out but not that big a deal.

Forum Member

I don't have sleep apnea, but I work in a hospital department where we perform sleep apnea surgery. This is only some information and not medical advice or treatment. (legal disclaimer) I don't know if you have mild, moderate or severe apnea, and surgery is only effective for obstructive sleep apnea, not central. CPAP is one effective treatment, however if you dislike a lifetime of being tied to the machine at night or do not tolerate the mask, there are effective surgeries.
    The first is usually a UPPP or uvulapalatopharyngoplasty. It is essentially a tonsillectomy with removing the uvula or hangy thingy in the back of your mouth to help open the airway at night. The surgery does cause a bad sore throat for 3-7 days, like having the tonsils out. It can often eliminate the need for CPAP in mid-moderate sleep apnea and reduce the pressure required in moderate-severe sleep apnea. Depending on the UPPP results, there are other surgeries available to reduce the severity of the apnea. Some include genio-hyoid suspensions, tongue advancement or trimming the base of the tongue. Beware any radiofrequency or laser procedures, at this point they do not have long term studies of effectiveness. Avoiding wt gain or losing weight will also help but some thin people have apnea due to anatomic reasons.

Good Luck, if your thinking about the surgery, find an ENT surgeon with sleep apnea experience for best results.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks my doctor said I am one of the more severe cases....does anyone know of a battery powered CPAP that I could use if deployed in the feild I do disaster relief work....
    Jonesy
    Fail to plan. Plan to fail.

FL EMT-B
    FL State Firefighter
    Pro Board Firefighter
    Career Firefighter
    Local 2103

Thread Information