Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default How do you group your private dwelling?

I know we've talked a little about this before, but I'm in the process of developing SOPs for a small department in regards to structure fire response. I'm trying to base the training on the layouts of the most common types of SFDs and MFDs in our district. In FDNY's SOP (from what I understand), a lot of the dwellings are grouped into Queen Anne, Cape Style, Straight Line Colonial, Flat Roof PD, and New Construction. I'm trying to simplify some of the approaches to tactics for teaching our operations, so I'm grouping things into the following--Ranch style, farmhouse (old balloon frame), split-level, and bungalow. We also have a lot of new construction and "mansions." My question is, does anyone else do this? How do you separate your dwelling types? In our area, new construction is pretty vague, so I'm trying to figure out an approach to the "everything in betweens." The tactics for the farmhouse (balloon) and ranch style are pretty straightforward, but the other types in our district could range in size from 1500-4500 square feet. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim

Most of our housing stock is class 5 woodframe, Class 3 ordinary construction (apartments and/or condos over commercial) and a Class 2 non combustible apartment complex. We do not "break down" categories as to cape, cololnial, gambrel, etc. Most of the time, you can judge the construction type by the age of the neighborhood.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by phyrngn
    In FDNY's SOP (from what I understand), a lot of the dwellings are grouped into Queen Anne, Cape Style, Straight Line Colonial, Flat Roof PD, and New Construction.

I think you may be a bit confussed. In the FDNY we group buildings into Classes like everyone else, but what we expand on is what each member does at a peticular dwelling. Mulitiple Dwellings, H, E, C, X, Types, Old Law Tenements, New Law Tenements...etc etc. Private Dwellings are only a small portion of the pie. We do catagorize them into Peaked Roof PDs and Flat Roof PDs....BUT if you take a place like the area I work.....we have both types that are now Multiple Dwellings.....and tactics are of both MD and PD fires are used.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    I think you may be a bit confussed. In the FDNY we group buildings into Classes like everyone else, but what we expand on is what each member does at a peticular dwelling. Mulitiple Dwellings, H, E, C, X, Types, Old Law Tenements, New Law Tenements...etc etc. Private Dwellings are only a small portion of the pie. We do catagorize them into Peaked Roof PDs and Flat Roof PDs....BUT if you take a place like the area I work.....we have both types that are now Multiple Dwellings.....and tactics are of both MD and PD fires are used.
    I think he is refering to how many if not most of the houses in the city fit a certain type and have a commonly understood name. AKA- "Two-Family, Cape-Cod...etc. In many parts of the country...they only have a Ranch Duplexs, & Split-Levels everything else is just a house. There aren't quite so many hard and fast definitions to the types. He is trying to divide them up appropriately for their opperations.

FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I think he is refering to how many if not most of the houses in the city fit a certain type and have a commonly understood name. AKA- "Two-Family, Cape-Cod...etc. In many parts of the country...they only have a Ranch Duplexs, & Split-Levels everything else is just a house. There aren't quite so many hard and fast definitions to the types. He is trying to divide them up appropriately for their opperations.

FTM-PTB

Got it....I just re-read his post.....

And in that case....just KISS......Private Dwelling with a Flat Roof or a PD w/ a peaked roof. Are most of the PD in your area are of similar construction and era?
    Last edited by VinnieB; 04-20-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Like others have said, we don't catagorize our private dwelling per say in a SOG. We do take into consideration what type of dwelling it is (ie ballon frame vs split level vs shot gun house), when determining certain tatics. But for the most part we just get in there and put the damn fire out. Yes, the building construction determines how you might ventilate, or that your second line should probably go straight to the second floor/attic to check for extension. Or depending on where the fire is at in a shot gun house just bust out that window in the room and knock the fire out, but we don't have set SOG's or SOP's for each type of residentual style. Not to knock your FD, because I don't know your members knowledge level or capibilities, but I would work on making sure your members could recognize what type of construction or residental style the house was so they could formulate their own tatics without a SOG telling them what to do. Thats just my 2 pennies worth.

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem is, we are trying to develop a whole new mindset to train people (myself included) who have very little firefighting experience. I am tired of having the Chief read the book on the radio on how the tactics should be employed, therefore, I'm trying to develop a little bit of an SOG on layouts and certain construction features of the different types of PDs in our district in order for our members to make better tactical decisions. IE, a basement fire (or any fire for that matter) in a balloon frame "farmhouse" is likely to require some form of vertical ventilation; a fire in a ranch style demands the searchers to be aware of the bedroom locations to the left or right of the front door, what tactics should be employed in structures with walk-out basements, etc. I've found that if you don't spell things out to our people, that they either do nothing or the wrong thing.

Thread Information