Forum Member

Default Looking for a job

Hello,

I'm intrested in moving to TN. I've been there a few times and have really enjoyed the area. I'm told that the area around Nashville is booming but im looking to go anywhere really. I'm currently a POC firefighter/medic. I was wondering if anybody out there knows any information on the hiring scene down yonder. Where im from its usally 200 people for 1 job. Any information on anything, future hires, people to contact, etc. would be greatly appericated. Just PM me or post it here.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't keep track of hiring in Tennessee, but Union City - we're in the upper left hand corner - will be hiring 2 soon. Deadline to apply is 8 May. Usually we have about 50:1 applicants to positions, but it can vary widely.

Download an application from the website: http://www.ucfdtn.com

(Don't blame me for the website design! )
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Lt. Ullrich,

Does your department have an upper age requirement? Do you know if other departments in West TN do (Martin, Milan, Lexington, Paris, Dyersburg, or any other departments I may be missing)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Union City has no max age limit posted on the job notice. There is a minimum age of 20. If you're even remotely interested (or know someone who is), it would be worth your time to put in an application.

When I worked for Martin, there was no max age either, but they have gone through some changes and I don't know if that's still the case. Martin's Chief tendered his resignation, so if they promote from the ranks there's a possibility they might have an opening soon, too.

I can't speak of any other departments in the area as to max age or hiring status.

Feel free to PM me if I can answer any other questions.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

I'm told Shelby County Fire Department is hiring or will be opening hiring soon.
    The website is http://www.scfdtn.org and has links to other county and city departments in the Memphis area.
    The last place I tried was Bartlett Tn and they had 412 people start out trying for 12 openings for a new station.Good luck with it.

Forum Member

Default booming

I currently hear a lot of good things about TN and how you're booming down there. Is that true?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have much to compare the state of the economy to outside of Tennessee, but things have been running pretty smoothly. I work in the construction business on my days off and we've had all the work we need.

Places like Nashville and the area surrounding Memphis are growing by leaps and bounds.

On the flip side, land and housing is relatively cheap if you get away from the major metropolitan areas.

Come on in . . . the water's fine!
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

If i knew i had a job there waiting for me, i'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner
    I currently hear a lot of good things about TN and how you're booming down there. Is that true?
    Yes. TN is booming. Nashville has been voted one of the best cities for business & nightlife recently. Two counties around Nashville are also the fastest growing in the country.

Cost of living vs. salary grade is not bad at all. If you make a decent salary you can afford a very decent home when compared to other cities.

Sorry for the late response. My dept will likely be hiring this summer. We are a public safety dept (Airport) that provides Police, Fire, and EMS services. Comparable salary & benefits and awesome training. Here's a link to our site:

http://www.flynashville.com/security/default.cfm

Minimum requirements are 60 hrs of college OR currently license as an EMT.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thread Information