Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default IAFF plates, serious question.

Here is the situation:

The other day I went to the DMV to get new plates. I wanted the FD style plates (genaric type) and also wanted them customized. So I waited my turn, went to the counter, explained what I wanted, payed and left.

Today they arrived in the mail, the customization is correct, the logo is not. I got IAFF plates, not FD plates! So... obviously I do not want the IAFF ones, I am not in the IAFF, my department is not an IAFF dept. Also, it would be lame for ME to have them.

Tomorow I will return to that government hell-hole on a quest to have them replaced with the correct type. I fear though that they will utter such phrases as "I'm sorry sir, but that is what we have on the order sheet" or "you can have new ones, you just have to pay $89.50 for them again".

My question to you guys is, other than telling the dumb broads that work at the DMV that the IAFF is a union I DON'T belong to, what compelling things could I say that would make them see the errors of thier way and replace my plates thereby putting an end to this issue.

I don't plan on being nasty, but I had to wait nearly an hour to get called up, mostly because out of the 8 people there, only one knows how to do everything to finish a transaction, everyone just keeps asking her questions because they can't do it themselves, and I'm not talking about off the wall things either.

It would seem to me that you would have to have proof of IAFF affiliation to be eligable to recive the plates (same as getting eagle scout plates, free mason plates, etc) so I don't see how this could even happen.

Thanks!
    Lammrover
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

In Texas, we only have two firefighter plates. One says Professional FF and the other one says Certified FF. The "Certified" one is for volunteer FF and it is through the State Firemens & Fire Marshals Association (with their seal). The "Professional" one comes with the IAFF seal (you have no choice). I would check to make sure what your state has to offer. Good luck, take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Call ahead, most DMV's around the country are fully aware of the negative reputation that they have, and have instituted help lines with friendly people to sort things like this out. You might be able to handle it over the phone. Give it a try.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Hey, you think you got problems? The combination of letter O's, number 0's, letter B's, and number 8's in my FF tag spells BOOB.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I want boob plates!

Hey, you think you got problems? The combination of letter O's, number 0's, letter B's, and number 8's in my FF tag spells BOOB.
    HAHA I got to see that one...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Boob plates, catchy.

Well, I went in today and presented my problem. The lady i first talked to was a bit cold and not understanding. As we bickered, another lady overherd and asked if she could help. Upon hearing my problem she asked to see my recipt. When she saw who the lady was that goofed the tranaction, she let out a long "ohhhhhhh, step over hear, I will help you".

Apparently the goof that goofed the orderi s always a goof and always goofing. It took a while to get everything sorted out, and the lady did admit that even if that is the type i requested, my letter was from my chief saying I could have FD plated, not from the union saying I could have union plates.

After about a half hour it was resolved, I was issued new 30 day tags and will recive the new, correct plates in the mail soon.

Then they tried to charge me $15.50? Why, it was not my doing you ask? Wll apparently no transaction can be had without state tax/deputy register/BS/pointless fees. I then explained how I had already paid nearly $90, and had yet to recive what I paid for, and I made every attempt to make the origional purchase smooth and easy for them but it still was boggled. She then went to a side office to consult with the supreme godess of the Stark ODMV, and returned after while saying, "the bill will be handled, thanks for your patience".

So, the problem is solved, but I am still amazed at the 10 to 1 useless to acceptable employee ratio of my local DMV.

Lammrover
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Ever wonder why there are surveys at resturants, hospitals and the whatnot but not at government buildings for us to fill out?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Ever wonder why there are surveys at resturants, hospitals and the whatnot but not at government buildings for us to fill out?
    Because at the other places they at least expect half the people they serve to be satisfied and actually care about you and your time whereas these government agencies could careless about your opinion and your time....
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

I really would like to see a picture of those boob plates...

man that sounds weird... couldnt think of a better way to say it though
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfdblehman
    I really would like to see a picture of those boob plates...

man that sounds weird... couldnt think of a better way to say it though
    how do you think you attach those plates to a womans boobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

I try to tell people it says "Boo Eight", but nobody believes me. "Hey, your license plate says 'Boob'!"
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Exclamation

Don't know what state you are in lammrover, but in Virginia to get the IAFF license plate, you must provide your current IAFF membership card. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! To get the regular FD plates you must have a signed form from your department and or chief. This cuts down on folks that aren't Firefighters from getting these plates are using them.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Don't know what state you are in lammrover, but in Virginia to get the IAFF license plate, you must provide your current IAFF membership card. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! To get the regular FD plates you must have a signed form from your department and or chief. This cuts down on folks that aren't Firefighters from getting these plates are using them.

uhm Capt ..................it wasnt HIS goof ...it was the DMV's ............he got it switched around.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I like the font that Kentucky is spelled with...your license plate has a nice B0O8....
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    I want boob plates!
    Me too!

PS- Our FF plates in Cali suck.

MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default Firefighter plates

Check out this link http://www.local1132.org/firefighterplates.htm for pictures of firefighter plates. If you want, send in a picture of yours and they will post it. I am sure they would love a picture of the BOO8 plate.

The real question for EastKyFF is if they they constantly ask you if they are real or not. There are some funny ones on the site too.

Submit plates to firefighterplates@local1132.or g

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD
    It would take to eterniy to read every one of them.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

B0O8 that's good...
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Thread Information