Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Dublin Fire Brigade get ready for Tunnel Inferno

Dublin Fire Brigade are getting ready to test out there training and skills when the Dublin Port tunnel becomes operational within the next 4 months....this 4 kilometer stretch of tunnel will be one of the only duel directional tunnels in the world to allow a unristriced amount of LPG tankers to enter at any time making it also one of the most dangerous....

The DFB have undergone instense training in the Hagerback training facility in Switzerland and have also purchased a state of the art TRV (Tunnel Rescue Vehicle) along with a number of new pieces of equipment....ie: Termal Imaging Cameras and Helmuts, as well as twin cylinder SCBA sets which have a working duration of 70mins.....

Its all gona be fun and games in this tunnel gents.....

Thats a pic of our trainig over sea's...thats me looking back at the camera

Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

damn!!!!

that

Forum Member

I've got the marshmallows!!

Forum Member

Post Cumberland Gap Tunnel Pose Challenges(KY-TENN)

The safe operation of the tunnels is a high priority. The Cumberland tunnels pose specific challenges that will be met in the following ways:

Fire, rescue, and towing crews dedicated to tunnel emergencies will be on-call 24 hours a day.

Tunnels will have their own water storage tanks for fire-fighting purposes.

Ventilation will be continuous via turbine fans hung from the ceiling every 600 feet, and air quality will be monitored constantly by electronic sensors.

Illumination will be provided by low-pressure sodium and fluorescent lights, and include a "transition zone" at tunnel entrances to help drivers' vision adjust to the artificial light.

Pedestrian crossovers for emergency access between tunnels will be reachable every 300 feet.

Variable message sings will allow the tunnel operator to communicate with motorists. AM and FM radio signals can also be overridden to broadcast priority messages.

Vehicular crossovers at tunnel entrances will allow for two-way traffic in either tunnel if one of them must be closed.

Portal buildings at entrances will house state-of-the-art ventilation, lighting, and communications systems, as well as closed-circuit cameras and magnetic loop detectors for traffic control.

Pull-off lanes for trucks, oversized vehicles, and those transporting flammables or corrosives will be placed at each approach. These vehicles will be ushered through the tunnels individually at regular intervals.

Trucks hauling explosives will not be allowed in the tunnels.

My two cents!
    I have trained with some of the Cumberland Gap Tunnel Firefighters they are well prepared and trained in mult tasks!
    Last edited by coldfront; 04-25-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by JonnytheTurk
    Dublin Fire Brigade are getting ready to test out there training and skills when the Dublin Port tunnel becomes operational within the next 4 months....this 4 kilometer stretch of tunnel will be one of the only duel directional tunnels in the world to allow a unristriced amount of LPG tankers to enter at any time making it also one of the most dangerous....

The DFB have undergone instense training in the Hagerback training facility in Switzerland and have also purchased a state of the art TRV (Tunnel Rescue Vehicle) along with a number of new pieces of equipment....ie: Termal Imaging Cameras and Helmuts, as well as twin cylinder SCBA sets which have a working duration of 70mins.....

Its all gona be fun and games in this tunnel gents.....

Thats a pic of our trainig over sea's...thats me looking back at the camera

Two words........................F ORGET THAT!

lol

Actually, that seems very interesting and something I would like to read up on further. I have read a little bit on the Baltimore City tunnel fire a few years back and was impressed.

I would imagine that in the case of a large fire, temps would be extreme due to the confined environment. ( i know they would be in any fire, but you get my point )

What different skills did you learn for these fires???
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Ummm...HOT IN HERE!!!
    Last edited by Dickey; 04-21-2006 at 01:44 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Well over in any domestic or comercial fire we use the "Gas Cooling" technique were u basically enter a building and give short sharp bursts from a soray nozzel to the cieling....in cooling the gases eminataing from the fire u actually starve the fire of all heat and kill the fire without ever hitting it with water....put it this was 1 litre of water when turned to steam is a lot...u do the mate conversion

Works great for arson and things like that because all the water used turns to steam and doesnt hit the floor leaving the area clear and untouched for investigation.....thats our normal practice....

But with Tunnel firefigthing....its alot different....u can actually walk rigth up to the base of the fire with perfect visuality with the aid of the turbine fans overhead the blow and push all the heat in the oposite direction which you are attacking from so its a great help but the big thing is protecting the structure and rescue.....if need be u will actually bypass the fire and try cool down the ceiling and walls so that the fire desont get so intense that it causes them to collapse....and thats a sh1t storm i dont wana be in......

In my house....No.4....we have been given this new vehicle aswell as a whole load of new toys....we also got an extra 5 men and an officer to man it so its better for the station in the long run.....but this vehicle will only turnout to incidents within the tunnel....

It will have 14 Drager Bodyguard Twin Cylinder sets ready to go with an aditional 24 spare twin cylinders if needed.....Along with the usual rescue of cutters, spreaders that kinda thing it will have a bank of Dry powder extinguishers for small fires and petrol spilligaes....The SCBA contorller monitoring everyone headin into the tunnel has a state of the art SCBA board which uses radio signals and telemetry to monitor the crews SCBA sets heading in...they can tell from the touch of a button...the persons air consuption, duration within the fire, tempurature, and can relay messages to individual crew members ie, get out etc etc.....

Altogether good for us in the long term but the fact that they are allowing LPG's in is not so good.....

So as my sig at the bottom states we turn out to be a big house after all the changes.....
    Last edited by JonnytheTurk; 04-21-2006 at 04:57 AM.
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Forum Member

Default Information about Hagerback Training Facility in Switzerland

Hi, This is the firest time I visited, I have read the message about the Dublin Fire Brigade are getting ready for tunnel rescue and fire fighting, I am interest about the Hagerback Training Facility in Switzerland, May I have more information or contact information on them?

Jonny.

From some of your earlier posts you had expressed concern about how this issue was going to be handled.

Obviously you all are now more comfortable with this challenge now, excellent to se the business end, thank you.

One last question Bro, were you looking over your shoulder for a bottle?

(joke mate, hows it all going now)
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information