Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FDNY GPS Units

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs down

People seem to forget that in NYC you could technically be the CLOSEST but not necessarily get there the FASTEST. Traffic, double parked delivery trucks, one-way streets, road closures, etc play a huge role in a response time. My cousin's engine company is located on a one way street. I believe FDNY administration has told them not to go wrong way on a one way out of quarters even in an emergency (someone from FDNY please correct me if I am wrong). So that means for a call they have to go around the block (or violate policy) just to respond to something 1 city block down in the opposite direction. They used to just have their men direct traffic and slowly go down the wrong way. So they might be the closest but get there 2nd due through no fault of their own.

Like it has been said before, if the FDNY management REALLY wants to implement this for better fire responses, why doesn't their dispatch have the necessary tools? Will this information be used in future lawsuits? As the FDNY members have already stated, their rigs are parked in firehouses. If a certain unit is constantly screwing off, address THAT UNIT and don't punish the rest of the department.

The current FDNY Commissioner is full of it. Actions speak louder than words and his actions do not match the news station sound bites.

Good luck FDNY.
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 04-22-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    You must also remember, Bloomturd and his cronies are saying this will help response times, and that every second counts. But yet magically, closing 6 companies does not increase response times at all. Weird, huh?
    Good point. Closing 6 companies to save $12 million but spending $50 million on this? But then again, as the other guys have said, these new changes apply mostly to EMS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Do you always giggle when two men are lying DEAD in their graves & 4 are crippled for life because the job removed thier ropes because of a supposed lack of money?

FTM-PTB

Of course I do not giggle, laugh, or otherwise take joy from an incident where any one of us are injured or killed. I enter the same burning buildings that you do, and I wish my department would buy me all the toys and gadgets that they could to ensure my safety to the best possible manner. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Firefighting is a dangerous job. And unfortunately, in the eyes of politicians and the tax payers, is not always the most important and our funding levels often reflect that. Should we allocate money to ensure our safety? Heck yes. Can we always? Unfortunately, no. Money is allocated based on the percieved need by those who have it above us; our goal is to make them understand what we need.

We can only hope to do the best and safest job we can with the tools we are given and continue to beg, plead, steal, and ask for more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Irons6789
    Good point. Closing 6 companies to save $12 million but spending $50 million on this? But then again, as the other guys have said, these new changes apply mostly to EMS.
    This is what you get when you place a life long bureaucrat with no experince, relevant knowledge, or understanding of Fire Department operations or Public Safety in general and top it off with too many Chiefs who are too concerned with getting 3Q's upon retirement who don't want to make waves at 9MT. Too few men who have their loyalties and principles in order in postions of command anymore. Somewhere along the line someone or someones didn't listen to those who came before them.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey

How about taking the money from a Homeland Security Grant and sending their members to training opportunities that might not normally be available to them due to budget constraints?
    Unfortunately, that is not the way grant processes are done. When you apply for a grant, you can't say "Well, we'd like to use the money for this..." It doesn't work that way, and it's not the fault of the grant writer, the commissioner, or anyone else. When the Federal Government says "We are giving you this money to buy red helmets and blue shoes", then you can either take the money and buy red helmets and blue shoes... or don't apply.

Some grants can be used indiscrimately, some don't. That's up to the individual grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who said this was funded by Grants? I have not seen anything to indicate this is being funded by anything other than the city budget.

For EMS this might be a good thing...for us it is a colosal waste of money. One can see where their priorities are when they will spend $50 million to place AVL on Appratus that can't stay in service for more than a few weeks at a time!

At least now they will be able to track how many times the rigs cross the Hudson River enroute to the Seagrave Dealer in Jersey for repairs!

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

When is the city (or should I say mayor) putting the AVL's into the PD and ESU units??? The program itself is not a bad thing, but those of us on the job know damn well it wont be used to help us, it will be used against us. Just like the camera system and everything else that the mayor and the PD commissioner come up with.

FFFRED,

I removed my reference to the Homeland Security grant because the literature doesn't mention it. I read it in another forum member's post. My apologies.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Cant wait to see the response times when these stupid things are put in.

After a Bronx Engine Co. got into an accident at an intersection, the ECC and the Boss got 10 and 15 day suspensions. Response times after this went through the roof, because if the job suspends someone, it opens up those individuals to lawsuits. Same thing happened with the camera pilot program.

NYSmokey, there are many companies that are on one way streets. The last few years, with all the lawsuits, suspensions, etc, many companies were afraid (and rightly so) to go down the wrong way on one way streets, or to go through red lights, even after coming to a complete stop. The city and the job had already proven that even though according to their regs, these manuevers were allowed, that if God forbid an accident did occur, we might still get hanged for it. THAT was the reason for the increase in response times that Bloomturd kept bitching about. Rigs were beginning to respond safely, and response times increased slightly. But like I said, magically, closing 6 companies doesnt increase response times. Late last year, an Asst. Chief wrote a memo saying that companies can respond the wrong way up a one way street for a block, either out of qtrs, or to respond to a Box, and that it was fully in accordance with the regs.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

nyckftbl,

Thanks for the clarification on my post
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

lol, no problem. Being nice is easier then another 10 day rip, anyway. LOL.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

My "eyewitness experience" with the one-way streets occured in March 2005 before the memo
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information