MembersZone Subscriber

Default Masters or Fire Science

Hey Guys,

Quick Question.

I have just started pursuing a position as a firefighter. I went on a ride-along with my uncle and haven't been the same since. Obviously I have no experience except CPAT, CPR, and EMT-B this summer.

My question is am I more likely to be hired if I finish my Masters (20 units left) or start taking Fire Science courses at a Junior College.

Thanks,

Shook

Forum Member

If I were on an oral board and asked the question "How have you prepared yourself for the job of firefighter" and you said you almost have a Masters Degree and have Fire Science classes. That tell me your are working toward a career in the fire service. You have your foot in the door. If you show up and said that you have done nothing toward being a fire fighter (classes) then I'd pick the other guy. I've been on oral boards and have asked that very question and you should see them think.....
    So I say take some fire science classes and get started toward being a fire fighter.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

Forum Member

Default Masters

Jay is right.

Will some of the 20 units left be covered with any fire classes?

What is your masters in?

Could you say I'm taking fire science classes and will have my maters in the fall (will have sounds better than I need 20 more units)?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-20-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Shook,
    FINISH YOUR MASTERíS DEGREE!!!!!

With only 20 units left you can bang it out in one semester. Get it done now while youíre still young. If you donít do it NOW you never will. The six months it will take you to complete your degree will not make a hill of beans difference in 10 years.

While I say emphatically to earn your degree, I also will tell you to de-emphasize it in your fire department interviews. The firefighters on your panel are not going to be overly impressed with your Masterís degree.

Once you complete your degree hammer away at your fire science courses and get yourself through a junior college fire academy.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Shook,
    FINISH YOUR MASTERíS DEGREE!!!!!

With only 20 units left you can bang it out in one semester. Get it done now while youíre still young. If you donít do it NOW you never will. The six months it will take you to complete your degree will not make a hill of beans difference in 10 years.

While I say emphatically to earn your degree, I also will tell you to de-emphasize it in your fire department interviews. The firefighters on your panel are not going to be overly impressed with your Masterís degree.

Once you complete your degree hammer away at your fire science courses and get yourself through a junior college fire academy.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    I agree wholeheartedly. While your 20 units may not be in fire science-related courses, I would look very poorly on an individual who bailed out on an advanced degree to go back and take a few fire science classes for the sole purpose of trying to impress the oral board. I would look very favorably on a candidate who had the drive and maturity to complete an advanced degree-and I wouldn't care what the major was.

I teach in a community college fire science program. One of the fallacies of the fire science programs is that it gives you a leg up on an entry level job in the fire service. In actuality, very little of what you are taught in the fire science classes pertains to what a brand new fire fighter needs to know. There is no question that a fire science degree will make a great supplementary education that will make you, for example, a better officer. But your priority should be to prove to the oral board that you are a maturem responsible, well-educated, well-rounded person who would be a positive force in the department.

Finishing your masters degree should be done now. You will have 25 years or so to take the fire science stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Finish

I agree with the previous posts!! Finish your Degree it says alot to a pannel if the person interviewed is educated and highly educated is best. I would finish your degree and use it as a feather in your cap when you interview. Sure the people accross from you may not have a Masters but they all want a recruit who they can teach and who will learn what is needed. Use the degree as an example of your ability to stick with something and learn about it to its fullest. Second there is alot of time off if you get a job and the masters will help you with a good paying side job.
    Good luck
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.
    I need all the advice that I can get.

My Masters is unrelated to FireFighting (Theology) unless there is some kind of Chaplaincy program.

If Fire Science Courses don't make or break an opportunity to be hired I think I will finish my Masters and then take Fire Classes.

Thanks,

Shook

Thread Information