Forum Member

Question Anyone using Globe G Extreme

I was wandering if anyone on here is using the new Globe gear G Extreme? If so your opinion of it? Also in your opinion is it worth the added expense?
    Last edited by RES81CUE; 04-21-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up So Far So Good!

We have had our new gear for about a month and it is great. Lot of our guys said it was bulky right of way but what isn't when its not broke in. After wearing it to a few calls and washing it a time or two it fits great and there is more room to move compared to our old Globe gear. Just my 2 cents worth.

Forum Member

Got mine a couple of weeks ago and have only got to use it in a RIT class. It is rather bulky at first, but once you wear it and break it in it is very comfortable and non-restricting.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

Forum Member

We have had ours about 4 or 5 months now and I see pro's and con's to the new G Extreme. We made the switch to it after using Morning Pride for years and years.

Pros
    1.Very comfortable, and moves with you where Morning Pride didn't always.
    2.You don't have to wear suspenders if you don't want to. I have found that being that I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets that I still where the suspenders.
    3.It is probably a spect issue, but the G Extreme has larger pockets and more of them than my previous turnout gear
    4. Being that it is tan and not black like our Morning Pride was, the dye doesn't come out of the coat in hot fires.

Cons
    1. I was a fan of the tails on the Morning Pride coats.
    2. (someone I am sure will comment on this) Our Morning Pride had knee pads which were great and saved my knees some pain. G Extreme doesn't offer the knee pads.
    3. Morning Pride did the boot cut pants in the back so that you wouldn't step on your pants when they got wet and sagged. G Extreme doesn't.

Those are my 2 pennies worth, but overall I do like the turnout gear. It is also a difference to us because we are switching from black turnout gear to tan, but Globe will dye it for you if you want.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Over 100 pair here.

The best turnouts Ive ever used. There is no other turnout I would wear then Globe.

Forum Member

G Extreme are more....flexible (i think thats the right word) than other turnouts....they don't restrict you as much.

GFDLT1,
    "3. Morning Pride did the boot cut pants in the back so that you wouldn't step on your pants when they got wet and sagged. G Extreme doesn't."

Did you get them custom fit?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    1. I was a fan of the tails on the Morning Pride coats.
    http://www.globefiresuits.com/globe/.../jacket-fb.asp
    13. Your Choice of Lengths
    Men’s sizes are available in either 32" or 35" back lengths. Women’s sizes come with a standard 29" back length.

2. (someone I am sure will comment on this) Our Morning Pride had knee pads which were great and saved my knees some pain. G Extreme doesn't offer the knee pads.
    http://www.globefiresuits.com/globe/products/turnout
    Globe offers both a Padded Knee and a reinforced knee.
    PADDED KNEE
    Layers of coated Arafil® and quilted aramid pad keep knees dry under reinforcement. Additional layers can be added.

REMOVABLE KNEE REINFORCEMENTS
    Makes field replacement quick and easy. Available in Outer Shell material, leather or Arashield® with or without padding.

3. Morning Pride did the boot cut pants in the back so that you wouldn't step on your pants when they got wet and sagged. G Extreme doesn't.
    http://www.globefiresuits.com/globe/...e/pants-fb.asp
    16. Reverse Boot Cut on Pant Legs
    Pant legs are 1 inch shorter in the back to avoid premature cuff wear.

FWIW - I don't work for globe just did a lot of research before we bought ours (Thank You AFG ).

Gear should be here in about 1 more month. Will let you know what we think then, but the "troops" were very impressed with it at the demo & fitting.

As an aside - you really really should get all your folks custom measured and fitted for this gear if you decide to go with it.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

We just bought 30 sets from a grant...best and most comfortable gear I've ever had or used!

MembersZone Subscriber

Bought ours with an AFG last year. Very good stuff. The only complaint we had was where the radio pocket was sewn on the sleeve. They were all too far back to reach a radio that was in the pocket. Had to move 'em all to the front of the sleeve. (we preferred the radio pocket on the sleeve, instead of on the chest.)

Well worth the added expense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very comforatable turnouts. We have had ours for about a year and a half now. I agree with all the postings regarding it taking some time for it to break in. The gear fits perfectly now. The biggest thing for me is the non restrictive movements. Also the fact that my old turnout gear used to work up over the top of my boots durning interior operations where as this gear stays right where it should be. The only thing I noticed was that during winter operations once the gear is wet it doesnt stay as warm as the previous gear (motivation to work harder for everybody). Overall best purchase we have made.
    Steve
    Lietuenant 107
    Morton Township Fire/Rescue
    "Good to Go"

Forum Member

One question didnt ask was: Is the gear your buying PBI or Advance?

MembersZone Subscriber

We purchased PBI matrix.
    Steve
    Lietuenant 107
    Morton Township Fire/Rescue
    "Good to Go"

Forum Member

RES81CUE-

The G-Xtreme is a great product and I wear it when I am at my full-time job.

I am also sell the Cairns (Globe) Reaxtion line in Illinois only. This also is a great product and is well worth a look at. It has several features similiar to the G-Xtreme, but also offers a few notable differences:

1) Seamless collar system which is less bulky and more comfortable than the G-Xtreme.

2) The Reaxtion Pants offer a full kevlar belt system as opposed to the half belt system with the Xtreme pant. The full belt system will resist the elastic breaking down over time and also is easier to don when putting your gear on at the station.

3) The bellows pockets on the Reaxtion are cut at a biased (angle) to allow you to get to the pockets easier when both standing or crawling.

4) For those that want the Morning Pride look (GFDLT1), you can now order the tail system with the Reaxtion Jacket. The G-Xtreme version allows you to put a hanging name panel on the bottom of the coat that is also a similiar design.

Either product is backed by a fantastic family-owned company that will treat you right, good luck and feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Purchased well optioned Globe G-Xtreme PBI Matrix over a year ago for half of our members as a trial run, swithced over from Janesville PBI. Most members like it, including myself, a few complaints have surfaced about the overall fit. Its performance has been excellent, no complaints, it is wearing better than anything previously purchased. The bulky feel is in the coat, pants are great, mainly in the area of the collar, just a product of the comfort fit concept I think. Also, on the coats, the wristlets are very, very tight. This problem has got better with age, still not where I would like it to be, but can live with it. We are still in debate in staying with the Globe or trying the Lion Freedom Design as a trial, but you couldn't go wrong with the Globe, its tough and comfortable.

Forum Member

"Also, on the coats, the wristlets are very, very tight. This problem has got better with age, still not where I would like it to be, but can live with it."

todd3603-

At the beginning of the year, Globe addressed this by making the wristlets adjustable. This is standard on both the G-Xtreme and Cairns Reaxtion.

Thanks,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE
    Firefighter 7160 where are you at in Arkansas?
    Pine Bluff Engine 36

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply rfd599,

Hadn't done my homework lately on the Globe to know that they made the change. That was the single biggest complaint from within my department, with that addressed, the personnel may want to give the GXtreme another try, because other than that and the little bulky problem, it has been excellent. Thanks again.

Thread Information