Forum Member

Default Englishman becoming a US Firefighter

Hi,

I'm an Englishman wanting to become a firefighter in the USA. Do any of you know whether this is possible, and if it is what the procedure would be for applying?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a buddy of mine who was from Ireland and could not get hired there because of his eyesight. He was hired in the Washington DC area and he probaly could help with info. email me and I will pass on your email address to him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some departments have a citizenship requirement. Mine does not. By the way we are tesing in January 07. (Long Beach, California) We have 23 stations and 500 firefighters and run close to 60,000 calls per year. Starting pay is around $50,000. I would encourage you to check out www.firecareers.com for job postings.

You may find it easier to select an area of the US where you want to settle. Get immersed in the community, learn the culture, get involved with the volunteer fire department and begin testing for a full-time position.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Simon...on a lighter note....it only has taken me several generations to get here from England. My Dad Albert Dudley was from Dudley, England. I wish you luck in your endevor.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

Forum Member

At the very least, you will need permanant residency (green card). This can be quite tricky to get.

Forum Member

Default Long Beach FD exam

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Some departments have a citizenship requirement. Mine does not. By the way we are tesing in January 07. (Long Beach, California) We have 23 stations and 500 firefighters and run close to 60,000 calls per year. Starting pay is around $50,000. I would encourage you to check out www.firecareers.com for job postings.

You may find it easier to select an area of the US where you want to settle. Get immersed in the community, learn the culture, get involved with the volunteer fire department and begin testing for a full-time position.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Chief Lepore,

I know this is a bit off topic of the thread title, but I ran across your posting today and figured I'd ask how your written test has been structured in the past for Long Beach? Is it more of a situational test, or is there a policy/procedure exam? Do you know if it wil be much different than this year?
    Thanks,

Kyle Carman

Forum Member

What I meant to say was - Do you know if this year will be much different than in the past?

Forum Member

Might be easier if you wanted to smuggle drugs and could speak Spanish.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department will be using the fireteam test video. It's the scenario based video test that is used in place of the INITIAL oral AND written portion.

From there the city lumps a whole bunch of candidates (1800 on the current A Band). From there we (the fire department) gets to select who we want to move forward in the process.

For the class that is running in September we called 700 to physical agilities. From there we called 150 for Chief's Orals and we have 55 moving on to backgrounds for an academy of 24 in Sept.

I was on the Chief's interview panel. We asked very standard, conventional questions of our candidates. Some did extremely well, while some will do well in the future after learning more about the fire service.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Thread Information