Forum Member

Exclamation Nextel vs. Cingular... need contract help

I currently have a Cingular account, add a line onto my mother's account. However, I am in desperate need of a NEXTEL but don't want the hassle of 2 phones and need help terminating my account with Cingular but my contract isn't up until May of 2007.

Does anyone know of a way to cancel your account with Cingular without paying the early termination fee? I am only an exploring chief and don't have a whole lot of money, however I could afford nextel monthly but just not 2 separate accounts, I also could not afford the early termination fee that Cingular charges.

Let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks,
    Chip

Forum Member

My semi-wise-*** response...

Save up three or four months of what you would pay Nextel, then use that to pay off Cingular. Yep, you gotta wait. Phone companies aren't known for being very sympathetic.

I went and lost my Nextel this week...since I use it for business, I had to buy a new one ASAP...so if I cancel during the next year and a half or so, I'll get hit by *2* cancellation fees...ouch. But the math worked that worse case and I cancel sooner, I'd pay just as much as buying the replacement outright.

Forum Member

Not gonna happen. You either pay it or keep it. I seriously doubt you *need* a Nextel. You really want one. There is a difference.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Cingular, even moreso than other carriers, is a giant pain in the A** about cancelling earlier. I didn't have any service at my house and they wouldn't even let me do anything... except pay for roaming fees (on a supposedly no roaming charges plan )

Good Luck!
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Look at your contract well. It most likeley says the termination fee could be a max of $175.00. If you cancle you can go to arbitration and fight to only pay for the percentage of the months you owe for. Or at least make it known this is your plan. If you have the time to do so. Just a thaught.I wanted to do an early upgrade wit me vzw to ptt and was able to convince them I would cancle if they didnt cut me a deal. They hooked me up. Good Luck.
    Stay Safe and live long

MembersZone Subscriber

Not that I’m that much into phones, but I was thinking about NEXTEL myself, just for Fire and EMS stuff. I’ve been a long time Cingular subscriber, along with my daughter and wife (who both use the phone a lot). I renewed the service (it meant more to wife and daughter than myself), that along with the fact, that everyone I know that has NEXTEL complains about the service/coverage. I got a new phone with the renewal, a NOKIA 6061. The new phone has a speakerphone, which allows me to open it up for surrounding crew members to listen in directly on phone conversations, etc.
    I thought the Cingular with the speakerphone was a good compromise.
    Just a thought…

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the input... I actually found a thread online with some ideas and one of them worked, I will have my nextel within the next few months. No fee's or questions asked.

Thanks again.
    Chip

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Awrite!!.....

Glad to hear it worked out for you. The jury will be out for a while on the NEXTEL - Sprint merger, but so far, NEXTEL seems to be doing just fine. I switched to NEXTEL when CellularOne became Cingular, due to rapid deterioration in service after Cingular chased all the old CellOne folks off. Problem was that they ran off the only folks who knew how all the parts fit. So, the Darwin Award for Stupidity in Business went to Cingular. My business went to NEXTEL. There were some coverage problems, but they have put in more towers, and operations are pretty smooth. My advice to anyone considering PTT Service is go with NEXTEL.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. The jury will be out for a while on the NEXTEL - Sprint merger, but so far, NEXTEL seems to be doing just fine. I switched to NEXTEL when CellularOne became Cingular, due to rapid deterioration in service after Cingular chased all the old CellOne folks off. Problem was that they ran off the only folks who knew how all the parts fit. So, the Darwin Award for Stupidity in Business went to Cingular. My business went to NEXTEL. There were some coverage problems, but they have put in more towers, and operations are pretty smooth. My advice to anyone considering PTT Service is go with NEXTEL.
    Any certain phone/plan you would recommend for me as an explorer? Or to anyone really.

Chip

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChoffaJFD
    Any certain phone/plan you would recommend for me as an explorer? Or to anyone really.

Chip
    whichever one is the cheapest with the 2 year agrement I have a i530 which has been good to me.

Forum Member

$39.99 will get you unlimited direct connect, free incoming phone calls, and 300 outgoing phone call minutes. Phone calls and Direct Connect are all nationwide so there is no long distance. Text messaging is an extra cost if you are one of those kids that sends 5 million text messages per day.

Early Adopter

Thanks guys for all the input... I actually found a thread online with some ideas and one of them worked, I will have my nextel within the next few months. No fee's or questions asked.
    Well, don't hold back... How'd you manage it?

Forum Member

Well lets just say I'm moving to somewhere that isn't in their coverage area. Thats not my fault they don't have towers there its theirs.

Chip

Forum Member

Well lets just say I'm moving to somewhere that isn't in their coverage area. Thats not my fault they don't have towers there its theirs.

Chip
    Uh sorry bucko, you won't get away with it like that. If you take your phone out of their service area, that's not their problem. You pay for a phone to work when you are in their coverage area. They aren't requiring you to be a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Uh sorry bucko, you won't get away with it like that. If you take your phone out of their service area, that's not their problem. You pay for a phone to work when you are in their coverage area. They aren't requiring you to be a customer.
    NOT necessarily so. I moved to my current house in 2002. Service was poor here. HOWEVER, I was told my zip code had service. In fact it did, just not at my house. I was told to change phones, and I did. It actually was worse with the new phone.

I called Cingular and told them I wanted out. I had just renewed in December 2001 and moved in January 2002. They sent an engineer to my house, he walked in and looked at my phone, and agreed...my service was not adequate. They allowed me out of my contract with no fees.

I went with Nextel as they actually had the best service at my house (gotta be a first...LOL). Since then, the Nexthell service has gotten worse. But, much of our communication at work is done through nextel, and it is convenient. They are in the process of putting Nextel's on all trucks, but I also own a lawn care business that I use Nextel alot...so...probably stay with them.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I had Nextel a few years ago and when I cancelled I was still getting bills well after I had paid everything off. Make sure you have copies of your bills showing a zero balance.

My Cingular service sucks lately. I can be sitting in my house with 5 bars and then have it drop to no bars. Those commericials claiming that they have the fewest dropped calls of any other network drive me nuts The service seems to have deteriorated since the Sprint merger plus all of the popularity of PTT and/or text messaging
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

One plus to Nextel is it's great if you do alot of interagency communications that don't need to take place on the radio.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cingular's fee is to steep to cancel, and to do so you need to fill out a ton of paper work, plus, If you are cancelling within the first six months and you bought your phone from an Indirect dealer, you will be charged the retail price of the phone, not promotional price like you probably paid.

Nextel has an excellent Free Incoming plan for $39.99. You get unlimted Direct Connect, Nationwide D.C, 300 outgoing minutes, voicemail, caller id, and any phone call coming in is free no mater who its from, where its from, or how its made, cell or land line. Also, the new i560 and i850 have a feature called "Direct Talk." This program is a FREE PREPROGRAMED java application in the menu of the phone that when selected, will restart the phone in walkie-talkie mode only, and turns the phone into a direct walkie talkie, (simular to the type you buy at walmart or radio shack that operate on CB like frequencies.) You wont be able to answer phone calls or DC alerts, but what you will be able to do is use you phone like a portable radio. There are channels and codes on the screen, you select one like channel 3 code 5, and can transmit anything for up to six miles WHETHER YOU HAVE SERVICE OR NOT. Many other guys on my department have the i560 with direct talk and we use it to communicate on fire scenes where our radios would suck. This come in crystal clear in a 10 story parking garage and anyone can listen and transmit provided you have a nextel with the direct talk option and the operating channel and code. PLUS, the i560 phone in my experience has been more then capable of handling the IDLH atmosphere. I hade my phone in a 1200 degree fire the other day. It resisted heat, smoke, steam, and the water from the hose stream. Plus my operations command was able to communicate better with me then over his portable with the other crews. Operating on Direct Talk mode is totally free, an app in your phone, does not use any minutes, and your phone does not need service in this mode to operate!!!! ITS AWSOME!!!!

Forum Member

You are using your cell phone for interior fire attack!?!?!? Your officers allow this and actually participate in it?? Good lord, now I have heard everything! Of all the bad ideas for life safety communications, this is arguably the worst one ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    You are using your cell phone for interior fire attack!?!?!? Your officers allow this and actually participate in it?? Good lord, now I have heard everything! Of all the bad ideas for life safety communications, this is arguably the worst one ever.

Yeah, wow. Nmfire, we agree on something.

Back to the original question,

I have Alltel, which is not everywhere but is pretty big around here and I have great service. I have great reception almost everywhere and have had maybe 1 dropped call in the entire past year. I travel all over the state and surrounding states for high school sporting events and the service still stands up well. I do have a nationwaide plan, which may help, but oh well.

Nextels are handy however when many people have them and you have unlimited direct connect. TONS of people around here have them, and while I would LIKE to have them. I don't nessacarily NEED one right this instant as I am happy with my Alltel phone now. My phone is just about as durable as Nextels as well. ( I have heard of many Nextel durability stories, some friends have actually tested the durablilty themselves on their old phones when they got new ones)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire

Maybe he just had it in his pocket??
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

That is the way I understood it. Oh well maybe he could clarify it for the others. i have used my ptt verizon phone on accident senes to contact one of the other members. I also use it to let hiim know if I am responding because he lives a lot closer to the stationthan I do.
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckie8
    PLUS, the i560 phone in my experience has been more then capable of handling the IDLH atmosphere. I hade my phone in a 1200 degree fire the other day. It resisted heat, smoke, steam, and the water from the hose stream. Plus my operations command was able to communicate better with me then over his portable with the other crews.
    This would seem to indicate that they are using cell phones for operational communications inside a burning structure. Clearly not a matter of "oh, lets see if my phone works while I'm in the middle of a fire."

Forum Member

Ok point proven. Im not sure if that was the safest thing to use for communications,but he may be on to the next big thing in firegrounds communications
    Stay Safe and live long

Thread Information