Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Any departments that let EMT's volunteer?

Any departments that let EMT's volunteer. I dont care how far I have to drive or go to. I just want to be part of a department even if I don't get paid.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Did the thread you started in January not give you the answers you were looking for?

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78253

Or this one in December?

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76367
    Last edited by jaybird210; 04-24-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

I have to ask....

Did you do a search??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TuxEMS
    Any departments that let EMT's volunteer. I dont care how far I have to drive or go to. I just want to be part of a department even if I don't get paid.

So this is a comment? OR a concern?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird210
    Did the thread you started in January not give you the answers you were looking for?

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78253

Or this one in December?

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76367
    Hey dude the reason I reasked is because whenever someone says yeah they will take me if I play with fire or such I never get responses back. I want to be part of a fire department or district but every town, village, city or municipality I have contacted says I must be within the limits of the municipality. I have tried several places and gotten no responses back. That is the main reason I asked again and yes I am taking chicagos test. I attempted Hometown but my application is still sitting there I believe.

I want my Father to see me get onto a department before he leaves us,you know what I mean, thats why I keep asking, so kindly BACK OFF
    Last edited by TuxEMS; 04-26-2006 at 02:49 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jaybird -

How do you attract them??

What is your secret?

hahah...

Forum Member

Hey dude the reason I reasked is because whenever someone says yeah they will take me if I play with fire or such I never get responses back. I want to be part of a fire department or district but every town, village, city or municipality I have contacted says I must be within the limits of the municipality. I have tried several places and gotten no responses back. That is the main reason I asked again and yes I am taking chicagos test. I attempted Hometown but my application is still sitting there I believe.

I want my Father to see me get onto a department before he leaves us,you know what I mean, thats why I keep asking, so kindly BACK OFF
    If this is how you answer an honest question, I'd suggest thinking about a different profession, because the Fire Service is not for you. Egos and those with thin skin generally need not apply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    If this is how you answer an honest question, I'd suggest thinking about a different profession, because the Fire Service is not for you. Egos and those with thin skin generally need not apply.

Hey chopper I understand you think I might be a brat or a snot I'm not, I am watching a family member go away right in front of me and can't do anything for him. Why do I want to be a firefighter? Because I know I can. All my life I have been told I can't. I had a tumor on my spine when I was 16 and was told I would never walk. I laughed and overcame that. I don't give up I get frustrated as hell when people can do nothing but answer like smartasses. I asked a damn question and still havent recieved one damn valid response. I joke around and do not have an ego. My crap stinks just like everyone else's.

You my freind are like every chief I have spoken to, they pussyfoot around the question and never answer it.

Forum Member

Here in NY we ahve a couple vol ambulance companies that only require you to do you xhrs station time. Probably ot an option for you .Good Luck.
    Stay Safe and live long

someone give the repetitive poster a hug .............he has been beaten down his whole life. BUCK UP BUCKY ! ................also.........h ere you must do both.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Did somebody call a moderator to the most popular state forum on FH.com?
    Tux: bring it down a notch. Though I detect a sense of urgency with your quest to become a firefighter, lashing out will not help the situation.
    Most municipalities require some type of residency within close proximity for obvious reasons. A two to three hour drive to volunteer with a department makes no sense. Find out who is recruiting volunteers, interview with the idea that you will move closer to there, but well within reach of where you are now, just in case your family situation worsens.
    I know of fire departments around here looking for firefighters and I know some ambulance services needing EMTs. And yes; even though the ambulance services are separate of the fire departments, there are many EMTs who are also on the fire departments.
    Does that help? I hope so.
    See; I helped you even though you told my buddy to back off.
    Jay; Daddy wants a golf match.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vol. EMT FF?

I don't know where you are... but in Illinois and in Kentucky, there are many vol. departments that run EMS... maybe not full blown ambulance, but first responders...

Our department is a combination department, w/ full time, part time, and volunteers. We have everything from first responders to paramedics, to strictly volunteer ff, or just ems...

Illinois has a lot of these departments...come to central or Southern Illinois...

Where are you at in Illinois Tux?

Hamilton, a small community in West Central Illinois is dying for volunteers, and they might even take you on without living there...

That is...if they are still running an ambulance. I have heard they are on the verge of shutting down because of a lack of volunteers.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Hey chopper I understand you think I might be a brat or a snot I'm not, I am watching a family member go away right in front of me and can't do anything for him. Why do I want to be a firefighter? Because I know I can. All my life I have been told I can't. I had a tumor on my spine when I was 16 and was told I would never walk. I laughed and overcame that. I don't give up I get frustrated as hell when people can do nothing but answer like smartasses. I asked a damn question and still havent recieved one damn valid response. I joke around and do not have an ego. My crap stinks just like everyone else's.

You my freind are like every chief I have spoken to, they pussyfoot around the question and never answer it.
    Tux, I'll same you some effort. Maybe then you'll have enough energy to follow up. These came from the December thread you started:

This was posted by our friend npfd801:
    Some suburb departments around Chicago have paid-on-call guys helping their full-time staffing, this may be an opportunity. I don't personally know exactly what departments are like this (Carpentersville comes to mind, but I'm not sure). Algonquin, Lake Zurich, etc. are all some that I would check.

Don't sell the private side short. While many private ambulance services in the BIG city do only transfers, working at one of the privates in my area puts you at the same calls as any fire dept. ambulance crew. One of the private services here runs almost all of the calls for a bunch of fire departments. They seem to get a lot of cardiac and O.D. codes with us, a ton of MVC traumas with a couple of other departments. There are also private firms that do contract medic work for some departments around Chicago as well.

You're an odd one as far as the fire service is concerned - most (not all, I know) of the guys do the EMS part because that's part of being a FIREfighter these days. To be a firefighter just to do EMS, now that's different.

Good luck.
    This came from dneptune81:
    I worked for a private that also did all of the transports (bone-hauls) and emergency 911's for city and most of the county of Peoria. When a guy works with a Medic that has a black cloud following them, you really get to see some *****. I have new respect for anyone who works with a Medic that has had his license for less than a year also. Bad things gravitate to freshman Medics. Just remember the basic's job is to make the Medic look good.
    From the January thread:

Again, from our friend in North Park:
    If you're willing to play with fire, we'd take you. Where are you located?
    From tpfd109:
    Same here. On our dept you can be a f/f, f/f-emt or just an emt. but you would have to relocate to our district. Not a problem getting on right now though. For more info e-mail me at tfpd109@yahoo.com
    So, it looks like you got a handful of responses, just not the ones you wanted. You said you'd drive anywhere and sleep in your car if you had to, but what have you done besides post here? Have you gone to the OSFM website and got the department list? Try doing that and calling around.

Get off your high horse about overcoming adversity. We've all got a story a tell. That isn't going to get you any slack. Having an ailing parent doesn't make you a better firefighter or EMT.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Jay:
    Did I ever tell you that my Aunt Whinny had a face like a horse?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Point well said.

Forum Member

Here, here.

Thread Information