Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default North Carolina adds new professional firefighter certification

North Carolina State Firemen's Association

In order to formally recognize the advanced level of competence of firefighters directly or indirectly serving the governmental units within the State of North Carolina, to foster increased interest in formal college education and professional fire protection programs, and to attract highly qualified individuals into a fire and rescue department, the North Carolina State Firemenís Association has established a voluntary FIREFIGHTERíS ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE PROGRAM. Approved and implemented by the North Carolina State Firemenís Association Board of Directors in 2004, this completely voluntary program is an innovative method by which dedicated firefighters may receive statewide recognition for education, professional training, and on-the-job experience. The State Firemenís Association makes these awards available under the authority granted through North Carolina General Statutes for firefighters who are members of the North Carolina State Firemenís Association.

GENERAL INFORMATION

The Firefighterís Advanced Professional Certificate Program is administered as follows:

FIRST, In order to be eligible for consideration of the advanced professional certificate, a firefighter must first meet all five (5) core competencies or qualifications. He or she must:

1. presently hold a valid Firefighter II certification issued by the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission ; and

2. presently hold a valid Hazardous Materials Operations Level certification issued by the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission; and

3. have earned Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), or higher, certification issued by the North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services; and

4. be a sponsored member in good standing with a state recognized local Fire Department, County Fire Marshalís Office or State Fire Marshalís Office within the State of North Carolina and be a current member of the North Carolina State Firemenís Association; and

5. have at least four (4) full time equivalent years of experience as a firefighter as defined by this program.

This accumulation of training and certification is considered ďbasicĒ professional firefighter training. However, the training hours used to earn these basic certifications with the associated FIP or EMT designations are allowed to be used in the education and training computation listed below.

EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE

After meeting the core criteria above, a firefighter can then qualify for the Firefighterís Advanced Professional Certificate if he or she has any one of the following nine combinations of formal education, continuing education training and full time equivalent experience:

1. has accumulated at least 1130 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least twenty-four (24) years experience, or

2. has accumulated at least 1238 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least twenty-one (21) years experience, or

3. has accumulated at least 1346 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least eighteen (18) years experience, or

4. has accumulated at least 1454 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least fifteen (15) years experience, or

5. has accumulated at least 1,562 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least twelve (12) years experience, or

6. has accumulated at least 1,802 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least nine (9) years experience, or

7. has an Associate degree from an accredited college or university; has accumulated at least 1,322 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least nine (9) years experience, or

8. has a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; has accumulated at least 1,082 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least six (6) years experience, or

9. has a Graduate or Professional Degree from an accredited college or university; has accumulated at least 922 documented FIP OR EMT curriculum and/or continuing education hours and at least four (4) years experience.

Sounds like something that I need to get crackin' on.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

sweet so if I can finish up 1,2,5 and 9 i'll get my firefighters advanced professional certificate

Forum Member

Sounds like a nice certification.

Only problem i have with it is the requirement that you be an EMT or higher. IMO, a medical certification should never be a part of a firefighter certification. It may be something required by your department, but there are still thousands of departments out there that are not involved and never will be involved in the deleivery of EMS. I would really like to see the fire side and EMS side of the job kept seperate ... but maybe that's a pipe dream nowadays.

And it means what? Something to hang on the wall? Will it get you a job? Promotion?

I do know this-it will mean absolutely zilch outside of NC.

On the plus side, at least the NC Firemen's Assoc. is doing something-which is more than I can say for my state.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    And it means what? Something to hang on the wall? Will it get you a job? Promotion?

I do know this-it will mean absolutely zilch outside of NC.

On the plus side, at least the NC Firemen's Assoc. is doing something-which is more than I can say for my state.
    It means that if you qualify, then you have a one up on everyone. Which means that it will put you ahead of the field in jobs or promotions. You are correct however, it wont mean anything outside of NC. I think the real kicker though is the possibility to earn it without the thousands of training hours if you have a college degree.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

back home for the first time in MANY years

Y'all keep in mind that this is not a certificate being issued by OSFM or the Fire-Rescue Commission. It's wallpaper from the NCSFA. Might it make a difference in getting hired or promoted somewhere? Maybe...if the staff there has ever heard of the thing. I would think that a better move for someone seeking advancement would be completing other state-recognized certification programs like the RT curriculum and its specialty areas, Fire Officer, Fire Instructor, HAZMAT Tech, FLSE and such. Lord knows that furthering your education in EMS helps a lot too, especially in this day and age.

Don't take this the wrong way, though. If you've got the prerequisites covered, then by all means apply. You never know when this thing might come in handy, and if you've knocked out these requirements you deserve to be recognized.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Well............

I'll never bad mouth someone or some group that is trying to improve things, however, what's wrong with simply adopting the system used by the Pro Board? I have Certificates from The National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications, and I'm ahead of the list posted by keepback by quite a wide margin.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

back home for the first time in MANY years

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    I'll never bad mouth someone or some group that is trying to improve things, however, what's wrong with simply adopting the system used by the Pro Board? I have Certificates from The National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications, and I'm ahead of the list posted by keepback by quite a wide margin.
    North Carolina is already an IFSAC state, and has been for quite some time. Those certifications are put out by OSFM in conjunction with the NC Fire-Rescue Commission. This item, on the other hand, is something from the state's firefighters association and carries no weight.

Thread Information